Showing up late...........

Old Sep 24, 05, 1:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Gold,United 2P
Showing up late...........

I posted this on the American Airlines forum , but it's an AA ticket being flown by Alaska , so I'm posting here , for Alaska feedback. Thank you.

I haven't flown AA in a very long time and don't have a sense of how things work, in reality. I know if I call the 800# , they will tell me I have to pay a $100 change fee and the difference in fare. If I were going on a totally differnet day , I know I'd be stuck but...... on the same day?
To explain what I'm asking , I may not be able to make an upcoming flight on time. I was told by a Southwest representative about a rule of thier's stating that they would honor a ticket on the next 2 flights after the one a passenger missed. At the time, I was flying OAK to LAX and with flights leaving every half hour , I had long missed that cut off.
So what I'm wondering is , what are AA's rules about this? I know most airlines honor the unwritten(?) flat tire rule of about 2 hours.
Another complicating point is , this is an American ticket that's flown by Alaska Airlines , so maybe this is all about Alaska Airlines rules?
So if I arrive at 5PM for a 10AM flight , will they laugh in my face , or can I beg and plead my case (i.e. they have some discretion , if they wish to exercise it?)
I'll also post this in the Alaska forum.
Thanks in advance to anyone who has feedback or experience with this situation.
Old Sep 24, 05, 1:53 am

Programs: UA 1k, AA Plt, MR Lifetime Plat & Amb
If you ask the AS people they'll state that you have to be at the gate 30 minutes before departure. That said they will try to accommodate you on the next available flight.

IMHO the real question here is the risk vs. reward: Is not being charged a $100 change fee worth having to buy new ticket (or at least pay the difference on a more expensive one) and possibly not getting to your destination until the next day? I think you'll need some good luck and plenty of positive karma to have this work out.
Old Sep 24, 05, 2:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dudemon
If you ask the AS people they'll state that you have to be at the gate 30 minutes before departure. That said they will try to accommodate you on the next available flight.

IMHO the real question here is the risk vs. reward: Is not being charged a $100 change fee worth having to buy new ticket (or at least pay the difference on a more expensive one) and possibly not getting to your destination until the next day? I think you'll need some good luck and plenty of positive karma to have this work out.

Thanks for the feedback. As far as the $100 change fee goes , it would cost me less to buy a walkup OW in this case. I'm flying SEA to OAK.
I do agree if I managed to do this without paying extra , I'll be using up a fair amount of banked karma. :-)
Old Sep 24, 05, 2:36 am

Programs: PC Gold; SPG AAA; HiHo Silver; Hrtz Gld; Emld Clb; UA NWA NoBody; VA EleVAte; WN MooMoo
BTW, WN is having their double credits back for a limited time if purchased off http://www.southwest.com.

To cover your behind, it doesn't hurt to buy Full Fare 1 way tix off http://www.southwest.com. You could end up using it if your situation here doesn't pay off and you might end up with double credits.
Old Sep 24, 05, 2:42 am

Originally Posted by Rexly
Thanks for the feedback. As far as the $100 change fee goes , it would cost me less to buy a walkup OW in this case. I'm flying SEA to OAK. I do agree if I managed to do this without paying extra , I'll be using up a fair amount of banked karma. :-)
On the AS website I am seeing $144-$156 fares. Good luck testing your karma or buying the one way ticket for under $100. Even SW is $146.
Old Sep 24, 05, 3:03 am

Programs: PC Gold; SPG AAA; HiHo Silver; Hrtz Gld; Emld Clb; UA NWA NoBody; VA EleVAte; WN MooMoo
Originally Posted by mcrt
On the AS website I am seeing $144-$156 fares. Good luck testing your karma or buying the one way ticket for under $100. Even SW is $146.
On 2nd thoughts...

It looks better to buy a one way advance fare off http://www.southwest.com. Currently, I saw 1 at $69+.

You can always book it on http://www.southwest.com to get possibly get the double credit. And if you don't use it, you can apply it towards a future trip w/o any cancellation/rebooking fee.

It's just a thought...
Old Sep 24, 05, 3:20 am
Original Poster

$100 change fee PLUS the fare difference

Originally Posted by mcrt
I should clarify , the $100 change fee PLUS the fare difference adds up to over $200 , so the one way walk up fare is cheaper.
Thanks for the reminder that SW is doing doub;e credits again. Buying on the net would be a better idea.
Old Sep 24, 05, 12:03 pm

Programs: NW Best Western Hilton Honors
.....this is an American ticket that's flown by Alaska Airlines , so maybe this is all about Alaska Airlines rules?
So if I arrive at 5PM for a 10AM flight , will they laugh in my face , or can I beg and plead my case (i.e. they have some discretion , if they wish to exercise it?)
I'll also post this in the Alaska forum.
Thanks in advance to anyone who has feedback or experience with this situation.

You didn't mention the city pairs - if you're talking about SFO don't forget that Southwest no longer flies in and out of SFO - Alaska will most likely let you standby for later flights, so just make sure there is one!

V
Old Sep 24, 05, 12:28 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
unless you're fare restricts standby, you can standby on the same calendar day .. either before or after your flight.

So just call AA, ask if the fare you purchased allows same day standby
Old Sep 24, 05, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by Viviana
You didn't mention the city pairs - if you're talking about SFO don't forget that Southwest no longer flies in and out of SFO - Alaska will most likely let you standby for later flights, so just make sure there is one!

V
It's been mentioned in this thread.

It's between SEA to OAK.
Old Sep 24, 05, 10:14 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond+, Alaska Airlines MVP, Priority Club Platinum
Well sounds like you trying to use Southwest rules on AS/AA tickets/metal. Both AS and AA are more flexible about standbys except for a very limited type of tickets they sell such as Web Specials, Site59, and specific time restricted tickets (6-7 AM, 7 PM+).
You have asked Southwest about standbys. Southwest are all about squeezing money out of you after you purchase your cheap fare. If you get angry and decide that you won't fly Southwest again they don't care they have their business model like many other companies (i.e. some discount retail stores are very difficult about taking returns back and compare that to a Costco or Nordstroms). Between the two (AA and AS) I would feel very comfortable about standing by as long is it is on the same day to the same place (or co-terminal with AS) and I would do it in an instant to save $100. What complicates things is if something happens (as is just happened to me so luckly I was confirmed) and suddenly every flight for the rest of the day is overbooked.
It is funny you mention about what Southwest would do. They are a joke and they treat their PAX like trash. Need evidence - watch the "Airline" program.
A rencent flight from ORD - SNA on AA they actually put "Priority" on my standby because 1) I had missed my 6 AM flight and 2) I went to the AA Club to get on the list.
Old Sep 24, 05, 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by westcoastman
Well sounds like you trying to use Southwest rules on AS/AA tickets/metal. Both AS and AA are more flexible about standbys except for a very limited type of tickets they sell such as Web Specials, Site59, and specific time restricted tickets (6-7 AM, 7 PM+).
You have asked Southwest about standbys. Southwest are all about squeezing money out of you after you purchase your cheap fare. If you get angry and decide that you won't fly Southwest again they don't care they have their business model like many other companies (i.e. some discount retail stores are very difficult about taking returns back and compare that to a Costco or Nordstroms). Between the two (AA and AS) I would feel very comfortable about standing by as long is it is on the same day to the same place (or co-terminal with AS) and I would do it in an instant to save $100. What complicates things is if something happens (as is just happened to me so luckly I was confirmed) and suddenly every flight for the rest of the day is overbooked.
It is funny you mention about what Southwest would do. They are a joke and they treat their PAX like trash. Need evidence - watch the "Airline" program.
A rencent flight from ORD - SNA on AA they actually put "Priority" on my standby because 1) I had missed my 6 AM flight and 2) I went to the AA Club to get on the list.
I fly almost exclusively on WN and don't see the odd occurrences people keep mentioning.

This post isn't about one airline vs. another airline. And, it isn't about your opinions or mine opinion either who is a better airline.

It is about helping the OP get from point A to point B.

So, why don't you be of some help to the OP?

Last edited by goingsomewhere; Sep 24, 05 at 10:31 pm
Old Sep 24, 05, 11:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
My buddy ran into a similar situation as OP, after missing an LAX-SEA flight, AA codeshare on AS metal.

He wanted to buy a WN one way ticket, but AA would NOT protect his return legs, saying that they would be canceled if he didn't fly AA/AS to SEA, so he was forced to pay for the change fee + fare difference, instead of flying WN one way.

Will AA/AS protect OP's return leg if s/he takes WN?
Old Sep 24, 05, 11:43 pm

Originally Posted by IceTrojan
...Will AA/AS protect OP's return leg if s/he takes WN?
That's a good question.

To the OP, is this the going leg or returning leg you might be late for?

Because if it's the going leg, your Alaska/AA return leg probably would be cancelled if you head out on another carrier.

In that case, I'd would not miss the going leg at at all. And, forget booking another carrier.

However, if it's the return leg, personally, I'd book WN just in case.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: