FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   Oversold in F. Bumped. Offered?? Nothing. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/473153-oversold-f-bumped-offered-nothing.html)

mtacchi Sep 15, 2005 6:24 pm

Oversold in F. Bumped. Offered?? Nothing.

Yep. Had a resv. ticketed 1 hr prior to departure. Showed up at gate in ANC. Agent had F filled already, put me on the later flight and said deal with it. No involuntary bump compensation, she wouldn't even discuss it. Handed me my new BP and said take it or leave it.

This on a paid $770 OW F class ticket.

channa Sep 15, 2005 6:58 pm

Possible IDB

How late was your replacement flight scheduled to arrive?

Reason I ask this is because if it got you in no more than 1 hour later than your original flight, you are not entitled to any IDB compensation.

Otherwise, provided you checked in on time and everything, you're entitled to IDB compensation. If the replacement flight got you in 1-2 hours behind schedule it's 1x your one-way fare (up to $200). More than 2 hours, it's 2x your one-way fare (up to $400). This compensation is due to you in cash, and the DOT will likely side with you. Keep this in mind when calling CS for compensation. If the offer anything less than the legal minimum, tell them to shove it and deal with the DOT.

However, if the replacement got you in within an hour and you were not entitled to compensation, I would call CS anyway (though the tone would be different as you are not demanding what is entitled to you by law). Tell them you were disappointed how a revenue F pax on an expensive ticket was treated, and see what they do for you.

Snowdevil Sep 15, 2005 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by mtacchi
Yep. Had a resv. ticketed 1 hr prior to departure. Showed up at gate in ANC. Agent had F filled already, put me on the later flight and said deal with it. No involuntary bump compensation, she wouldn't even discuss it. Handed me my new BP and said take it or leave it.

The part in boldface is key, because you've said you TICKETED your reservation an hour before the flight.

Here's my question - at what time did you actually show up for the flight?

Because if you weren't checked in and ready to board within 30 minutes of the flight's scheduled departure time, the agents DO have the right to cancel your seat and reassign it to someone else without compensating you for the inconvenience:

http://www.alaskaair.com/www2/help/faqs/Boarding.asp

Boarding - 30 Minute Rule

To accommodate everyone wishing to travel on your flight, you must be checked–in and available to board at the designated boarding gate at least 30 minutes before scheduled departure for domestic or 40 minutes for international flights, except on 2000 series flights between Seattle/Portland, which require only 20 minutes. Failure to do so may cause the cancellation of reserved seats and cancellation of the entire reservation.

missydarlin Sep 15, 2005 8:49 pm

methinks some important details are missing from this story

Viviana Sep 15, 2005 10:49 pm

Something is missing, I think.

Viviana

mtacchi Sep 16, 2005 1:17 am

Originally Posted by missydarlin
methinks some important details are missing from this story

Nothing Missing. I was at the gate 45 minutes before. No seat Nothing.

THEN it gets BETTER>

I had 1 F on the next flight....bumped AGAIN. The agent made a mistake OOPSSSS... upgraded someone into my seat. Won't downgrade him... Maybe the next one...

Excuse me.. I am holding a boarding pass for 1F..yeah we gave that away..

So here I sit ..In the Quality Inn SEA. Missed the YVR connection due to Alaska's incredible incompetence.

The arrogance experienced today was obscene.

TravelMann Sep 16, 2005 2:46 am

Nothing Missing. I was at the gate 45 minutes before. No seat Nothing.

THEN it gets BETTER>

I had 1 F on the next flight....bumped AGAIN. The agent made a mistake OOPSSSS... upgraded someone into my seat. Won't downgrade him... Maybe the next one...

Excuse me.. I am holding a boarding pass for 1F..yeah we gave that away..

So here I sit ..In the Quality Inn SEA. Missed the YVR connection due to Alaska's incredible incompetence.

The arrogance experienced today was obscene.

Well, assuming we aren't missing something huge here, a wise person (MISSY :D ) once pointed out to me that attitude is everything in these situations. Even armed with that, I still tend toward the testy side under these circumstances when I have *right* on my side (i.e. I've arrived on time, confirmed yada yada).

Now, Mtacchi, let's assume you were the picture of solitude and good naturedness when this happened (I'm honest enough to admit I would not have been but maybe you have a Zen thing going) then with a full F ticket, that's when I would talk with my feet. Get a refund and buy an F on Continental or United. That's assuming of course all things are completely as described. They both have late flights out of SEA to ANC. I certainly wouldn't give AS my business the next day either if it was too late or those flights were sold out in F. I'd cut off my nose and leave on CO's midday flight. I'd even *gasp* consider flying coach on another airline. Coach makes you even more sympathetic at Consumer Affairs when they research that a paying F pax was truly treated so poorly he went to another airline.

NOTE: I believe that Mtacchi believes he was appropriate. He may have been. I hope he took names and flight numbers. They can research these things and the consumer line is *ok* about resolving issues. I like them better than CO's WECARE line (but at least that one is an 800 number).

Incidentally, they do compensate downgrades. I was given a free ticket to give up my upgraded seat and fly 3 hours later approx 6 mos ago. It had something to do with medical and someone needing my 1D or whatever it was (funny thing is I hate the bulkhead, never request it and was actually dreading it a bit, but it wasn't coach). In any event, if you're pleasant enough, I don't see why they wouldn't have at least made that offer to one of the upgraded pax (I doubt all 12-16 seats were paid F) or compensated you directly.

mtacchi Sep 16, 2005 7:32 am

Absolutely not. I am sure I was a complete As* . Especially the second time when they upgraded someone into my seat.

CO, NW, AS, UA all F0 for the rest of the day unfortunately.

sxf24 Sep 16, 2005 7:38 am

You're sure you bought an F class ticket?

mtacchi Sep 16, 2005 7:41 am

:D Yeah... sure about that. Even have a reciept for it.

sxf24 Sep 16, 2005 8:24 am

:D Yeah... sure about that. Even have a reciept for it.

:rolleyes:

Either you had the worst agent ever, or there is still something missing from the story.

What letter is printed on your boarding pass to the right of your seat assignment?

mtacchi Sep 16, 2005 11:01 am

Originally Posted by sxf24
:rolleyes:

Either you had the worst agent ever, or there is still something missing from the story.

What letter is printed on your boarding pass to the right of your seat assignment?

BP reads (if only I could scan and post);

SEAT FLIGHT FROM TO BOARDS GATE
1F 164 F Anchorage Seattle Tacoma 418 C6

channa Sep 16, 2005 11:04 am

Sounds like you get IDB compensation, twice.

Are they mailing you an $800 check?

mtacchi Sep 16, 2005 11:11 am

Haven't called yet. Airport agents in SEA directing me to CS. Just got home.
Will report back outcome.

missydarlin Sep 16, 2005 1:25 pm

For future reference to all those who may be affected. Having a reservation and an OPEN paper ticket issued by another airline is not the same as a "ticketed reservation".

Until said open ticket is attached to the reservation, what you have is a basically a voucher worth $770 and an unticketed reservation. As the reservation was unticketed, its entirely feasible that between the time of the call 1 hour prior to departure and the actual time the open ticket was presented to "pay" for said reservation, the seat had been taken to accomodate an already ticketed passenger.