Boarding Procedures

Old Sep 12, 05, 11:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Boarding Procedures

Just a suggestion for tweaking the boarding procedures for AS. I have carefully observed the boarding process as an MVP this year. Generally, the idea of all rows boarding at once is okay. However, I would modify it slightly in the following ways:

1. First Class/MVPG -- stays the same
2. MVP and Partner Elites -- stays the same
3. Last 5 rows of the airplane -- gets people to the back of the plane first (less of a logjam if, say, a row 7 passenger takes their time getting situated)
4. All remaining rows -- once you get people to the back of the plane, it is easier for people toward the front to get situated without disrupting the boarding process

Have other people noticed the logjam that can occur at times? What do you think?
Old Sep 12, 05, 11:54 am

The logjam occurs all the time and it's a result of the all aboard process. The passengers sitting in the forward portion of the main cabin have an inordinate effect on slowing down the boarding process. Rows 7 thru 15, or so, are always where the backups occur. Another portion of the problem is that the FA in the cabin always gets pushed back (because there is no place to work) and when the FA needs to be helping pax getting settled they are not in the area having moved further and further back to get out of the way.

I understand that TANGO is being revisited as well that possibilities exist for modifying and/or completely revamping the boarding process. Will any of these ideas reach fruition? Who knows... hopefully something changes because the current 'all aboard' is hard on pax and employees alike. It would be nice if the FA in the cabin could actually do their job but in the current system it's almost impossible.
Old Sep 12, 05, 12:02 pm
Suspended

I vote for a staggered zone procedure (back/front-middle/rear-middle/front) like HP and DL.
Old Sep 14, 05, 11:11 am

Programs: NW Best Western Hilton Honors
I believe that AS studied (using employees as passengers) the two systems, the staggered approach and the all-aboard approach, and there was no difference in the time it takes to board a full plane.

In the old (staggered boarding) days I witnessed a few skirmishes between gate agents and passengers trying to board early, either on purpose or by accident. A few times it was ugly - passengers embarrassed as a result of being asked to wait became belligerent and demanding. The gate agent was trying to do the job correctly and was getting hammered by passengers unwilling to wait their turn.

Search this Thread