Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alaska sends 737 to MSY to evacuate victims

Old Sep 3, 05, 3:05 pm
Original Poster

A 737-400 just left SEA for OKC where it will refuel and head down to MSY to transport storm victims to safe locations at nearby San Antonio or Houston. Crew members are donating all pay to the American Red Cross for this. Alaska is also sending along some calling cards to give to the evacuees on board to make a call to a friend or family member to let them know where they are.

I'm really proud of the company that I work for right now....

Last edited by AS Flyer; Sep 3, 05 at 3:07 pm
Old Sep 3, 05, 3:50 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Gold
Good job, AS. ^
Old Sep 3, 05, 6:13 pm

Programs: All over the place now.
Thank you AS and crew!!
Old Sep 3, 05, 6:52 pm

Programs: Alaska 75K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt, BonWhut?
Nice to hear it!

lala
Old Sep 3, 05, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
A curious question (and please people, don't start anything inflammatory out of my questions)

In such a situation, would the airline contact the authorities handling rescue operations notifying of available assistance, or was there a call from rescue authorities asking airlines for any assistance they may provide?

How is this all coordinated? FEMA? The State of LA?

Does AS have the possibility of recovery for its out-of-pocket costs from government disaster relief funds, or is the entire thing a donation. (As far as the crew goes, it is above and beyond the call, and really something else that they donate their trip pay ^ )
Old Sep 3, 05, 8:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
A curious question (and please people, don't start anything inflammatory out of my questions)

In such a situation, would the airline contact the authorities handling rescue operations notifying of available assistance, or was there a call from rescue authorities asking airlines for any assistance they may provide?

How is this all coordinated? FEMA? The State of LA?

Does AS have the possibility of recovery for its out-of-pocket costs from government disaster relief funds, or is the entire thing a donation. (As far as the crew goes, it is above and beyond the call, and really something else that they donate their trip pay ^ )
I don't know who contacted who first. I beleive that the ATA (Air Transport Association), which is the trade organization of U.S. airlines, gathered commitments of support from their member airlines and then put the offer out there to FEMA. Alaska volunteered one plane and a crew. I understand that there is some remuneration but not enough to cover even a fraction of the costs involved. All of the airlines involved are largely donating their services.
Old Sep 3, 05, 10:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by AS Flyer
Alaska volunteered one plane and a crew. I understand that there is some remuneration but not enough to cover even a fraction of the costs involved. All of the airlines involved are largely donating their services.
It's also probably a more significant loss for AS than say AA, DL or CO who may have excess short-haul aircraft in a nearby hub (DFW, ATL, or IAH respectively) because they are not currently flying MSY flights.
Old Sep 3, 05, 11:37 pm
Original Poster

As of this writing, the plane is scheduled to fly back and forth between New Orleans and Austin Bergstrom Intl airport through the night and into tomorow. Everything is just sort of being decided on the fly so things could change in a moments notice.

http://www.alaskasworld.com/NEWS/200...ska_spirit.asp
Old Sep 4, 05, 2:14 pm

Programs: AA (PLT/3MM/Admirals Club), AS (MVPG), UA, Marriott (Gold), HHonors, Accor (Plat)
As of this writing, the plane is scheduled to fly back and forth between New Orleans and Austin Bergstrom Intl airport through the night and into tomorow. Everything is just sort of being decided on the fly so things could change in a moments notice.

Thank you, Alaska Airlines!

I have felt so helpless this week...a donation to the Red Cross can help, but it is such a tiny percentage of what is needed.

Mike
Old Sep 4, 05, 2:15 pm

Awesome Effort AS!

This is an awesome effort by AS, and glad to see it being done!! ^
Old Sep 4, 05, 10:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
New Orleans and Austin Bergstrom Intl
If they'd have known that, they would've sent a couple Horizon RJ's instead. j/k

Good job to AS and the other carriers participating in this!
Old Sep 6, 05, 11:46 am

Thumbs up

An AS employee asked this question of the company and here is the response.

Question: Is it true that Alaska Airlines is being reimbursed by the government for providing the mercy flights for hurricane victims?

Answer: Absolutely not. Alaska Airlines donated the aircraft time and fuel and 22 dedicated employees donated their time and none are being reimbursed.

I too have never been more proud to be an AS employee than now seeing how our company and employees have pitched in to help those who desperately need help.
Old Sep 14, 05, 11:49 pm

Programs: NW Best Western Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by Alaska F/A
An AS employee asked this question of the company and here is the response.

Question: Is it true that Alaska Airlines is being reimbursed by the government for providing the mercy flights for hurricane victims?

Answer: Absolutely not. Alaska Airlines donated the aircraft time and fuel and 22 dedicated employees donated their time and none are being reimbursed.

I too have never been more proud to be an AS employee than now seeing how our company and employees have pitched in to help those who desperately need help.
Let's not forget that AS flew supplies into Berlin after WWII and also evacuated Yemenite Jews into Israel between 1948 and 1950 - this was known as Operation Magic Carpet.
Old Sep 15, 05, 12:04 am
Original Poster

Yes, true, but in our lifetime this is the coolest thing we've been able to be a part of. Alaska pre-1950 was a MUCH different airline than what we are today. Apparently, the spirit has survived all these years....

Search this Thread
Search Engine: