FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   Alaska/Horizon Standby (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/466374-alaska-horizon-standby.html)

amartin1979 Aug 25, 2005 12:20 pm

Alaska/Horizon Standby

Hello all

If I have a confirmed reservation on Alaska Airlines, would I be able to standby for an earlier flight on Horizon Airlines? I'm ticketed on the SFO-PDX 5:38 pm flight on Saturday, but I would like to take the earlier 11:35 am or 6:30 am flight instead.

Alaska 2F Aug 25, 2005 1:01 pm

Yes you can, but be advised that those earlier flights are both on CRJ aircraft (versus your current 737-400) which have about 60 less seats in coach and no F. Before going to the airport, you should call AS to see what the availability on those two flights are.

Best of luck.

todd-r Aug 25, 2005 1:58 pm

The advice to call Alaska is best as some tickets do not allow same day stand-by.

missydarlin Aug 25, 2005 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by todd-r
The advice to call Alaska is best as some tickets do not allow same day stand-by.

^ exactly

amartin1979 Aug 25, 2005 2:35 pm

Thanks for your help. I just wanted to confirm that Alaska/Horizon flights were interchangable for standby purposes. I had discussed the specific flight I'm intending to standby on in a previous thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...hlight=standby

I also cut and pasted the fare rules into that thread.

I believe one of you had mentioned that my fare basis was "Flight Specific", but I did not see anything explicitly in the fare rules that prohibited me from standing by. According to the availability tool, the earlier Horizon Air flights seem to have space available...

I think I will try for the 6:30 or 11:35 am flight to PDX, spend part of the day in Portland, and then try to fly out on the 4:15 pm flight to ANC

If they ticket me through to ANC instead, I'll just arrive in Alaska a little earlier... it sure beats arriving at 1:40 am however.

6:30 am - Flight 2470 : Y7 S7 B7 M7 H7 Q7 L7 V7 K7 G7 T7
11:35 am - Flight 2472 : Y7 S7 B7 M7 H7 Q7 L7 V7 K7 G7 T7

AS Flyer Aug 25, 2005 2:52 pm

I noticed, in the previous post you referenced, that you wanted to spend the the day in Portland. Just FYI, if you standby for the earlier flight, you will be standing by for the flight ALL THE WAY to ANC, not just the SFO-PDX segment. Stopovers are not allowed on this fare and so when you check in at SFO they will list you on the PDX-ANC departures at 950am or 415pm as well. They won't just list you on the earlier flight then leave your PDX-ANC flight so you get the day in PDX. Certainly anything can happen, but if the agent does what they are supposed to when you check in they will put you on the standby list for the connecting flight as well. If you wanted to take the 1135am flight to PDX then connect to the 415p PDX-ANC flight, that would probably work but wouldn't give you much time in ANC. Never hurts to try the earlier flight though, you never can guess what will happen at the airport these days.

amartin1979 Aug 25, 2005 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by AS Flyer
I noticed, in the previous post you referenced, that you wanted to spend the the day in Portland. Just FYI, if you standby for the earlier flight, you will be standing by for the flight ALL THE WAY to ANC, not just the SFO-PDX segment. Stopovers are not allowed on this fare and so when you check in at SFO they will list you on the PDX-ANC departures at 950am or 415pm as well. They won't just list you on the earlier flight then leave your PDX-ANC flight so you get the day in PDX. Certainly anything can happen, but if the agent does what they are supposed to when you check in they will put you on the standby list for the connecting flight as well. If you wanted to take the 1135am flight to PDX then connect to the 415p PDX-ANC flight, that would probably work but wouldn't give you much time in ANC. Never hurts to try the earlier flight though, you never can guess what will happen at the airport these days.

I think you meant , " not much time in PDX"

If I am confirmed all the way through, thats fine too...
However, I thought if you decide to standby for an earlier flight, you don't give up your confirmed seat (on a later flight) until you actually board the plane. So even if I arrived at PDX on an earlier flight, I would still have a confirmed flight out on the 10:56 pm. Does anyone have experience with doing this?

channa Aug 25, 2005 3:37 pm

In my experience, AS will only list you on one standby segment at a time. It doesn't make sense to put someone on a downline standby unless they know they're gonig to make it. I then had to list for my second segment at the connecting point.

Now if the agent is sharp, and it's a sure thing you're going to make the first segment, they may confirm you on the first segment, and also list you for the second. Or even confirm you on both if things are wide open.

I've had all of the above happen.

amartin1979 Aug 25, 2005 3:44 pm

I guess I'll let the dice roll on Saturday, and see what happens. Anything can happen at the airport, right? :D If I get to see Portland for a few hours, that'll just be an extra bonus... and I'll get to ANC earlier. I have a 6:45 train departing from ANC Sunday morning, so it'll be great to not have to arrive in ANC at 1:40 am.

AS Flyer Aug 25, 2005 3:53 pm

For whatever it's worth, the SFO-PDX flight at 0635 looks great, the later one is still okay in regards to standby, that is. The PDX-ANC flights that leave PDX earlier don't really look all that great, but as a revenue standby passenger, you would stand a chance of getting on either. The earliest PDX-ANC flight is the worst, the afternoon flight is better and the flight you're currently confirmed on (the awful red-eye) is wide open. Good look in your standby efforts, you should do just fine getting to PDX and possibly even having a full day there. The MAX train will take you downtown right from the airport, but you probably already know that.

zebra Sep 12, 2005 1:22 pm

Standby on AA Ticket

I'm bumping this thread as I have an AA ticket that's operated on AS/QX metal. Is this even possible? I noticed in the ticket's fare rules it mentioned same day standby permitted on AA-nonstop flights, but nothing that prohibits standby. I'm not sure if it even means anything since obviously this is an AS/QX operated flight. Does anyone have any experience in this situation?

Thanks in advance.

Viviana Sep 14, 2005 10:04 am

Hi - This is called "codeshare" and is a marketing tool used by carriers to lure passengers onto their routes. This way a prospective passenger can call AA and ask for a DFW-SFO-SEA route. The Res agent can book these segments on two AS or two AA flights, when in fact they might be operated by the two carriers instead of just one.

You can standby on any earlier or later AS operated flight on your AA ticket. By AA ticket, I presume you mean it has an AA plate?

V :)

zebra Sep 14, 2005 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by Viviana
You can standby on any earlier or later AS operated flight on your AA ticket. By AA ticket, I presume you mean it has an AA plate?

V :)

Thanks for the information. I'm aware of the code-sharing strategies, but was just checking if anyone here has done this since AS standby rules seem to be somewhat restrictive to fares and fare rules , and I wasn't sure if it were restricted on tickets purchased from other airlines on AS/QX metal.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'AA plate', but this ticket would have been bought on aa.com and issued by American Airlines with an AA type ticket number.

missydarlin Sep 14, 2005 6:21 pm

AA plate means AA ticket number