Snowboards - Oversized?

Old Aug 8, 2005, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Snowboards - Oversized?

So I dropped my friend off for her LAX-PDX flight for a snowboarding trip, and the counter agent dinged her for a $50 oversized-baggage fee for her board bag.

I've flown AS several times with no fee. Was I just getting lucky and not being charged, or are they now starting to crack down?

(Aside: Did it matter that she had to use the CS line b/c she missed her flight and had to standby on the next one, rather than just using the regular Bag Check line? I also know that if you use curbside checkin (where available), you can tip your way out of the fee...)
Old Aug 8, 2005, 9:19 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
it shouldnt have been dinged for oversized, but it could have been dinged for overweight or if there were more than 2 checked pieces total
Old Aug 8, 2005, 9:33 pm

Programs: AS 75K & BR Member- HHonors Diamond - Hertz PC - Marriott Titanium - IHG Ambassador
Overweight?

A snowboard weighs maybe 10 lbs
Old Aug 8, 2005, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I think she just got a moron/newbie of a CSR. I'll have her call AS to ask for a refund (she's a non-FTer... she must be lead through these things )
Old Aug 8, 2005, 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by IceTrojan
I think she just got a moron/newbie of a CSR. I'll have her call AS to ask for a refund (she's a non-FTer... she must be lead through these things )
Not very nice referring to newbies as "morons". While it may have been a mistake (one that can be rectified by sending a note to CS) we all make mistakes and they aren't all at our own expense....
Old Aug 8, 2005, 10:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: Indian Railways Wallah Program
Originally Posted by AS Flyer
Not very nice referring to newbies as "morons". While it may have been a mistake (one that can be rectified by sending a note to CS) we all make mistakes and they aren't all at our own expense....
With all do respect, that is a beyond oblivious mistake for an airline that sells package snowboard vacations!
Old Aug 8, 2005, 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by cj001f
With all do respect, that is a beyond oblivious mistake for an airline that sells package snowboard vacations!
With all due respect, I can't help but wonder how many snow board vacations we're selling for departure this time of year (none probably) and if this person were indeed new they wouldn't have the benefit of experience in checking snow boards.
Old Aug 8, 2005, 10:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
With all due respect, the phrase used was "newbie/moron." Generally the slash refers to an OR statement, so to be completely accurate, the CSR in question was described as either a newbie or a moron, but not both.
Old Aug 8, 2005, 10:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

With all due respect, I can't help but wonder how many snow board vacations we're selling for departure this time of year (none probably) and if this person were indeed new they wouldn't have the benefit of experience in checking snow boards.
Exactly. There's no need to be mean just because someone made a simple and pretty unobtrusive mistake. Just send an e-mail and get a refund.
Old Aug 8, 2005, 10:39 pm

with all due respect, the LAX ticket counter likely checks just as many (if not more) surfboards for the mexico vacations as they do snowboards. surfboards always incur a fee... snowboards don't... hardly moronic ... just a mistake (unless we are missing some info here like it was really an excess bag fee instead of an oversize fee)
Old Aug 8, 2005, 11:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: Indian Railways Wallah Program
Originally Posted by missydarlin
with all due respect, the LAX ticket counter likely checks just as many (if not more) surfboards for the mexico vacations as they do snowboards. surfboards always incur a fee... snowboards don't... hardly moronic ... just a mistake (unless we are missing some info here like it was really an excess bag fee instead of an oversize fee)
I've never seen a 6'6" snowboard (which is about as small as surfboards get). A 2'*6' object vs. a 1'*4' object. Adult sized vs. Child sized. The two are not easily confused.

They may not be common, but I did book a ski vacation using Alaska equipment in August of last year, PDX-CHC, FWIW. The Alaska counter in PDX sees quite a bit of ski/snowboard traffic all summer as well, especially on weekends.

Last edited by cj001f; Aug 8, 2005 at 11:47 pm
Old Aug 8, 2005, 11:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by channa
With all due respect, the phrase used was "newbie/moron." Generally the slash refers to an OR statement, so to be completely accurate, the CSR in question was described as either a newbie or a moron, but not both.

Thank you for understand what that operator ("/") meant.

For clarity's sake, I was saying that such a mistake must have been made by either a) a newbie, in which case it was excusable, or b) by a seasoned employee, in which case he was a moron for applying a charge.
Old Aug 9, 2005, 1:34 am

I've never seen a 6'6" snowboard (which is about as small as surfboards get). A 2'*6' object vs. a 1'*4' object. Adult sized vs. Child sized. The two are not easily confused.

They may not be common, but I did book a ski vacation using Alaska equipment in August of last year, PDX-CHC, FWIW. The Alaska counter in PDX sees quite a bit of ski/snowboard traffic all summer as well, especially on weekends.

we're talking about the LAX counter, not PDX... and my point was that one piece of sports equipment is allowed to skirt the oversize fee and the other is not. As busy as the counter agents are right now, its not improbably that a simple mistake like that could happen.
Old Aug 11, 2005, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
I had an AS agent in YVR tell me it more about the weight of the snowboard bag then the fact that it's a snowboard. ie: overpack your board bag and you'll get the fee.
Old Aug 12, 2005, 9:04 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by IceTrojan

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.