Alaska Bicycle fee question

Old Aug 7, 05, 9:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Platinum, SPG Gold, Hertz 5*, Hyatt Platinum
Question Alaska Bicycle fee question

Is there any chance that AS might overlook this fee if one has NO other checked luggage, afterall 62" x 2 would be enough for the bike! Just looking for any experience people have had with the application of this fee. Thanks.
Old Aug 7, 05, 1:26 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

2019 Secret Santa

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
I'll double check to make sure later today.... but I'm pretty sure that as long as the bike and container do not exceed 50lbs, it can be checked in lieu of one piece of luggage.
Old Aug 7, 05, 1:51 pm
Original Poster

Thanks missy and see ya at SeaDoo!!

I am seriously considering going down to Austin in October for Lance Armstrong's charity ride (Ride for the Roses) and would fly AS to DFW assuming there are no further delays to those service plans!! Again, aside from the bike, which is WELL under 50 Lbs - LOL - I will have very minimal stuff with me.
Old Aug 7, 05, 2:44 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

2019 Secret Santa

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
i was almost right...

Small collapsable bicycles that do not exceed the normal checked baggage dimensions 62 linear inches/50lbs may be checked in lieu of one normal piece of luggage.

Other bicycles are a $50 flat fee
Old Aug 7, 05, 5:44 pm

If you value your bicycle at all, rent a hard-sided case for it. Local bike shops can help you out. Some will pack and ship (in a box) for about $50 - they usually remove pedals and handlebars. Check to see whether the airlines require that (if not, really pack them well!).
Old Aug 7, 05, 7:29 pm
Original Poster

Good advice. I am planning on having my LBS do the boxing up and doing the same on the other end. As far as having them ship it I will double check that BUT generally shipping from Canada is just crazy expensive when compared to US domestic.
Old Feb 14, 08, 2:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott LTG, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Just wondering if anyone has had experience transporting a bike on AS/QX and what all is involved.

This is what I found from the AS Contract of Carriage:

Bicycles: One item of bicycling equipment is defined as one bicycle, non-motorized, with single or tandem seats. AS will only accept bicycles with handlebars turned sideways, pedals removed, all sharp protrusions padded, and boxed (or in a container), for a charge of USD 50.00. Exception 1: Small or collapsible bicycles that do not exceed the maximum checked baggage dimensions may be included in determining the free baggage allowance.
Thanks

Search this Thread