PHX Reservations damaged...

Old Aug 3, 05, 10:37 am
Original Poster

PHX Reservations damaged...

For what it's worth, expect longer hold times than normal for the next few days. Last night the Phoenix area was walloped with major monsoon storms, and the PHX Reservations center suffered some damage and had to be evacuated.

The building is uninhabitable right now but hopefully repairs should be completed in the next few days. In the meantime, the SEA and BOI call centers are doing their part to pick up the slack - and we've even had folks from PHX volunteer to fly up to SEA to pitch in until PHX is back up again.

Sorry for the inconvenience, folks!
Old Aug 3, 05, 11:43 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

2019 Secret Santa

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
http://www.alaskasworld.com/NEWS/200..._phx_flood.asp
Old Aug 4, 05, 10:09 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond+, Alaska Airlines MVP, Priority Club Platinum
Half hour and still waiting...
Bill Ayers keeps coming on the line to tell me about some changes they have made at Alaska Airlines but he refuses to respond to any of my inquires so I remain on hold.

Online links for making changes and displaying the fare rules have disappeared on some of my reservations so therefore I must manually call for information.

That is nice that people are flying to Seattle. At least the flights are free I assume.
Old Aug 4, 05, 11:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just tried calling the MVPG line to make a new reservation and was unable to get through at all. The message said all lines are busy so please try back later. Instead, I called the Horizon MVP number and got through within a minute.
Old Aug 5, 05, 2:50 pm

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by westcoastman
Half hour and still waiting...
Bill Ayers keeps coming on the line to tell me about some changes they have made at Alaska Airlines but he refuses to respond to any of my inquires so I remain on hold.

Online links for making changes and displaying the fare rules have disappeared on some of my reservations so therefore I must manually call for information.

That is nice that people are flying to Seattle. At least the flights are free I assume.
But I haven't seen an empty seat from PHX to SEA in months!
Old Aug 5, 05, 8:38 pm

2019 Secret Santa

the saga continues............

http://www.alaskasworld.com/NEWS/200...phx_mop_up.asp
Old Aug 6, 05, 2:56 am

You'd think they would extend the hours temporarily back to 24 hours a day at the unaffected call centers to help re-distribute some of the call overflow. I still think it's ridiculous for a major US airline to "close" at night. I'm surprised they didn't extend the hours for the busy summer season like retail stores do during the holidays even before the Phoenix problems.

Almost every purchased reservation I have in My Trips does not have an option to change it online. You can book award travel online, but you can't change it or request a simple re-deposit. I despise the new change that doesn't even allow you to hold an award reservation for 24 hours, literally forcing you to phone them to cancel/change and redeposit. I understand the reasoning but a 24 hour hold and then the reservation cancels hasn't exactly hurt the regular paid reservation system where it's the standard. There's still so much you cannot do online and still many more people who just don't *do* online, my spousal unit being one of them.
Old Aug 6, 05, 5:31 am

2019 Secret Santa

Originally Posted by TravelMann
You'd think they would extend the hours temporarily back to 24 hours a day at the unaffected call centers to help re-distribute some of the call overflow. I still think it's ridiculous for a major US airline to "close" at night. I'm surprised they didn't extend the hours for the busy summer season like retail stores do during the holidays even before the Phoenix problems.
I don't think we should have dropped the graveyard shift either, but now when we are understaffed by 300 agents a day is not the time to spread the workforce any thinner. And besides, agents are union contracted, and having to go through the re-bid process for what was supposed to be a 3 or 4 day problem would have been a disaster. That leaves the only option as offering overtime.. and there aren't enough agents willing to do it for the company to open the lines.

There are only 4 hours of the day that there is no one answering the phones in the res center. 1am-5am Pacific time. The few of us that are willing to be here all night..on top of our normal shifts (and yes, thats exactly where I am right now) are busy taking care of issues at the ticket counter and making sure all the changes that are being made by agents who have only done new bookings for the past year and a half are being processed correctly so that when you get to the ticket counter, everything is in proper order.
Old Aug 6, 05, 11:34 am

Programs: Alaska 75K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt, BonWhut?
Originally Posted by missydarlin
I don't think we should have dropped the graveyard shift either, but now when we are understaffed by 300 agents a day is not the time to spread the workforce any thinner. And besides, agents are union contracted, and having to go through the re-bid process for what was supposed to be a 3 or 4 day problem would have been a disaster. That leaves the only option as offering overtime.. and there aren't enough agents willing to do it for the company to open the lines.

There are only 4 hours of the day that there is no one answering the phones in the res center. 1am-5am Pacific time. The few of us that are willing to be here all night..on top of our normal shifts (and yes, thats exactly where I am right now) are busy taking care of issues at the ticket counter and making sure all the changes that are being made by agents who have only done new bookings for the past year and a half are being processed correctly so that when you get to the ticket counter, everything is in proper order.

I wish we could clone missy for alaska's sake. I'm afraid for the rest of the world though.

Pretty much every reservation line for US flagged airlines manage to stay open 24 hours a day for ticketing. TH did a survey this week. You would think if AS wants to stay competitive and in with the big guns they could keep reservations operations open in the summer. I can tell you based on my last Boston flight that was delayed 2 hours for no specified reason and no one I tried to contact regarding rebooking, that this new enhancement is adding to my frustration level with AS.

Pity, we were both in SD the day of the lunch. I'm sure TH will be at the next lunch.

lala
Old Aug 7, 05, 12:10 pm

ugh .... more changes to my BLI-LAX and BLI-MIA flights but not getting through to change and reissue desk or main reservations this morning - in fact, getting cut off with the recorded message "if you'd like to make a call ..." and "no circuits available". Figure I'll have to keep trying ... the BLI-LAX flight times have been changed twice now in just the last 10 days or so, meaning I have to call in and hold with each change.

My son lives in PHX and does indeed say that particular storm was a doozy though.
Old Aug 7, 05, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by inthchips
ugh .... more changes to my BLI-LAX and BLI-MIA flights but not getting through to change and reissue desk or main reservations this morning - in fact, getting cut off with the recorded message "if you'd like to make a call ..." and "no circuits available". Figure I'll have to keep trying ... the BLI-LAX flight times have been changed twice now in just the last 10 days or so, meaning I have to call in and hold with each change.

My son lives in PHX and does indeed say that particular storm was a doozy though.
Did you try the Horizon MVP line? They seem to be able to do anything the AS reps can do.
Old Aug 7, 05, 1:29 pm

2019 Secret Santa

Originally Posted by inthchips

Unless the flight is this week, I'd suggest waiting until say... Wednesday ... to make that change.
Old Aug 7, 05, 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by missydarlin

There are only 4 hours of the day that there is no one answering the phones in the res center. 1am-5am Pacific time.
I'd second the Missy cloning, but can we take so much of a good thing! I was not aware that AS was so woefully understaffed, Missy. Thanks for the insider insight. I just figured folks would be clamoring for the overtime pay. I was more serious about the more lasting extended hours like for the entire summer. I just miss talking to all the ladies on the graveyard! Y'all rocked. I got so much advice in addition to excellent service. Made a couple friends too.

Incidentally, those few hours of being closed can make a huge difference. I've been on the morning flights from EWR, MCO and IAD. From 6AM EST or so when I start the journey to the airport to actually boarding when/if I experience any problems, there is not a soul at the 800 line. When you're trying to snag that last upgrade seat or switch to an earlier morning flight even on the West Coast, it can be trying. I'm based half the month in Alaska (not so bad at just one hour) and I just had a talk with my buddy who lives in Honolulu, and the time difference has screwed him up a couple times already. He calls at 10PM and find that the center is closed when the time difference is 3 hours. It was nice to know that whenever you picked up the phone, you knew someone would answer to assist you, not have to actually figured out and plan when to call.

Also, why doesn't the system re-route you when you call the MVP line and its closed but the main line is still open?? This is particularly annoying on weekends when I forget that the Gold line closes even earlier so at like 9PM AST I might get a recording and have to hang up, get the other number and redial. It's not just the annoying nature of going to the very minor extra trouble, it's that if I was re-routed, the hope would be that at least I would be queued with some priorty rather than dialing in directly with all the others non-MVP customers.
Old Aug 7, 05, 11:42 pm

Originally Posted by TravelMann
I'd second the Missy cloning, but can we take so much of a good thing! I was not aware that AS was so woefully understaffed, Missy. Thanks for the insider insight. I just figured folks would be clamoring for the overtime pay. I was more serious about the more lasting extended hours like for the entire summer. I just miss talking to all the ladies on the graveyard! Y'all rocked. I got so much advice in addition to excellent service. Made a couple friends too.

Incidentally, those few hours of being closed can make a huge difference. I've been on the morning flights from EWR, MCO and IAD. From 6AM EST or so when I start the journey to the airport to actually boarding when/if I experience any problems, there is not a soul at the 800 line. When you're trying to snag that last upgrade seat or switch to an earlier morning flight even on the West Coast, it can be trying. I'm based half the month in Alaska (not so bad at just one hour) and I just had a talk with my buddy who lives in Honolulu, and the time difference has screwed him up a couple times already. He calls at 10PM and find that the center is closed when the time difference is 3 hours. It was nice to know that whenever you picked up the phone, you knew someone would answer to assist you, not have to actually figured out and plan when to call.

Also, why doesn't the system re-route you when you call the MVP line and its closed but the main line is still open?? This is particularly annoying on weekends when I forget that the Gold line closes even earlier so at like 9PM AST I might get a recording and have to hang up, get the other number and redial. It's not just the annoying nature of going to the very minor extra trouble, it's that if I was re-routed, the hope would be that at least I would be queued with some priorty rather than dialing in directly with all the others non-MVP customers.

Well, if it's any help, I've found the other number pretty easy to remember. It's 1-800-ALASKAAIR
Old Aug 9, 05, 4:54 am

Originally Posted by johnp012001
Well, if it's any help, I've found the other number pretty easy to remember. It's 1-800-ALASKAAIR

I thought I made it clear it's the queue that's far more inconvenient than the number (but thanks, I'll have to remember that, I'm so conditioned calling the MVP Gold lines from the back of my card that I had no idea the other number was an anagram of some sort). When I dial that number directly rather than the MVP line transferring me over, I'm put into the 5-10-20 min (or whatever the current traffic is dictating) hold queue rather than being bumped up to one of the very next callers. Far far more inconvenient than any re-dialing...

Search this Thread