July 28 Seattle GOLD MVP lunch

Old Aug 6, 2005, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SEA_Tigger
Most AS MVP(G)s who also have any status on AA will continue to connect in LAX since AA's 763s offer international-level premium cabin seating to the islands, so that will bite into AS' ability to generate actual F ticket sales, so you're probably looking mostly at upgraders in the front, meaning the main cabin has to support the costs of providing the service.
I think this applies to FT types only. Most people who fly on a regular basis will take the non-stop over a connection. This is particularly true if that connection means a terminal change in one of the nation's worst airports (LAX).
Old Aug 6, 2005, 4:06 pm

Folks, I think if they are looking at Hawaii service at all they are most likely looking at nonstop service from ANC to HNL. The yields from the lower 48 are poor and most markets from the west coast to Hawaii are already served well enough. In regards to Aloha's service, it apparently is a sad disappointment, financially speaking. They are losing money on the transpacific flights. Management has said that the 737-700 is just not the right plane for this market. I imagine if Alaska were to start Hawaii service it would be on the 737-800. All of this is conjecture really, but I can't imagine why Alaska would care to start service from any city we currently serve in the lower 48 to Hawaii, unless we buy Aloha and do something on that front..... Hmmm, now there's a thought.
Old Aug 8, 2005, 10:45 am

Programs: UA - G (mm), DL - DM, MM, AA - Plat
MVP Lunch Notes

Originally Posted by TravelMann
Anyone going? Please take notes and report back if there's any new information. Thanks.
Hi folks - I've been sitting back waiting for others to answer as I am new to AS, and I expected that other (more experienced) AS flyers would chime in. Note that I use AS as a secondary carrier (CO is my primary), so I can't claim to be an expert on AS.

On to the lunch. I was told that 153 people RSVP’d and I would say that about 150 attended.

- Hawaii was mentioned – but only in passing ad I am sure that there are other priorities first.

- There was a long apology for all of the recent delays and there were repeated assurances that things are getting better. Almost every MVPG who spoke had a horror story about a delay this spring.

- There was an equal apology related to the baggage problems. This is something which I had no visibility to since I never check a bag, but I gather that the weekend bag situation at SEA has become a real ops problem, with many, many lost or delayed bags. This is said to be caused both by the new staffing at SEA and a recent breakdown of one of the TSA screening machines in the bag room. They claim that it is now getting better.

- Aircraft – the md-80’s will be retired – it is not a question of if, but when. No firm timetable was offered. There was a discussion of the new 737’s and a request for power ports and a mid-cabin lav. I was told privately that while they have agreed to add a lav on the new planes, it will be in the rear. This seems to be a cost issue.

- Upgrades - There seems to be a change coming in processing of gold upgrades. Many people complained that once the upgrade list moves to the airport, it is first come, first served. There also seems to be an issue with too many companions being upgraded ahead of MVPG’s. I had the impression that there will be an interim change in a few weeks, and maybe a change in priority next year, but I could be wrong about that.

- MVP Platinum? – As has been discussed on this board, there is a plan for some kid of higher elite tier. The challenge is to identify additional benefits for this new tier, without diluting the value of Gold too much.

I don’t think that there was any news, at least for those who follow the airline closely. It is clear the management now understands the depth of the problem, and they are working hard to fix it. The level of frustration, especially among business travelers was quite high. Almost everyone I spoke with told me that they have started booking away from AS, and will continue to do so for a while.

As a side note, I was surprised that none (of the three I asked) of the AS management at the lunch had brought business cards. One of my personal complaints over the past 8 months has been how hard it is to reach any of the upper management at AS. I know that other people have had more success than I have, but for me this has been an issue, and one of the reasons that I fly AS only when I don’t have another choice. This contrasts with Larry Kellner at CO, who always answers my emails – usually the same day.

Those are the major points – any questions – just ask.
Old Aug 8, 2005, 12:05 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond+, Alaska Airlines MVP, Priority Club Platinum
Originally Posted by seattleBH
As a side note, I was surprised that none (of the three I asked) of the AS management at the lunch had brought business cards. One of my personal complaints over the past 8 months has been how hard it is to reach any of the upper management at AS. I know that other people have had more success than I have, but for me this has been an issue, and one of the reasons that I fly AS only when I don’t have another choice. This contrasts with Larry Kellner at CO, who always answers my emails – usually the same day.
I really think this is on purpose. I tried to contact management and I could not even get any kind of contact. Reservations, Gold desk, and Consumer affairs are the only things that exist. I think they try to hide and phone numbers are not available.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.