Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flying Alaska on DCA-LAX

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2005, 3:02 pm
Original Poster

Flying Alaska on DCA-LAX

Anything special about this route? I have an option of connecting or taking Alaska very often.
Old Jul 22, 2005, 3:06 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Silver, Hertz Five Star
Flying Alaska on DCA-LAX Reply to Thread

Originally Posted by Ankebello
Anything special about this route? I have an option of connecting or taking Alaska very often.

Yes, I was going to take this leg next week before plans changed, and First had 9 open seats, coach was half full. DCA-SEA had two open seats in coach.
Old Jul 22, 2005, 3:07 pm

It's nonstop, that's pretty special. You get free food, that's pretty unusual these days. DigEplayers for rent, which beats no entertainment which is what you'll find on most connecting flights. I like to think the crews are nice.
Old Jul 22, 2005, 3:13 pm

Personally, I'd take the connecting for more frequency/choice of departure/arrival times. And quite a few airlines offer free in flight entertainment.
Old Jul 22, 2005, 5:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by AS Flyer
DigEplayers for rent, which beats no entertainment which is what you'll find on most connecting flights.
While the AS gadgets are nice, it's worth pointing out that NW (and maybe) Airtran) is the only airline serving DCA-LAX that doesn't provide IFE.

Other options:

F9 (ranked first because of direcTV)
UA (free)
HP (free)
AA
CO
US
DL

....and, if your willing to tolerate IAD and LGB, B6 (free direcTV)

All that said, the N/S feature is a big deal. What's more, AS has a great FFP.
Old Jul 22, 2005, 5:37 pm

Is this route doing as well as expected? Seems like a lot of anecdotal evidence that it isn't often very full. Or is it 60% full but with expensive fares and making money?
Old Jul 22, 2005, 5:44 pm

Programs: AA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Plat
It's THE ONLY nonstop between DCA and LAX. Not a bad flight either, especially considering the alternatives. The hitch is it only works well if you need to leave DC in the morning and plan to return around noon. It's that or nothing, and that probably explains the reluctance of many to book it. I take it pretty regularly and, while it's hard to sing the joys of any domestic airline flights, it sure beats flying AA through DFW or ORD to get to LAX. On top of saving about two hours each way, at least they make an attempt to feed you and there is IFE. 90% of AA's routes are S80s- now that they did away with MRTC, that is just plain torture for 8 hours plus to get from DCA to LAX. If Alaska could just get another slot (or two) for this route, it would be a no brainer- and Alaska would be making tons of money. BTW, I'd say 75% of the travelers on this route are leisure- which is a crying shame when you consider what an important route this is- but, again, with just 1 flight a day, most business travelers avoid it because they want lots of options.
Old Jul 23, 2005, 12:11 am

Programs: I am an AS employee, but my comments do not represent the company in any official capacity.
While every airline has it's good and bad cabin crewmembers, I think that AS consistently has the best FA's. :-:
Old Jul 25, 2005, 2:29 am

Programs: AA (PPro/3MM/Admirals Club), AS, UA, Marriott (Gold), HHonors (Gold), Accor (Plat)
Originally Posted by moondog
While the AS gadgets are nice, it's worth pointing out that NW (and maybe) Airtran) is the only airline serving DCA-LAX that doesn't provide IFE.

Other options:
<snip...>
AA
If you take AA from DCA-LAX, you are probably going to be on a Super80 with a connection in DFW or ORD to another Super80. No entertainment, and meal options will likely be limited to the $3 buy on board junk food box on each segment unless you can get in F where you may get the snack service (which I find to be OK but some dislike) unless you fall in designated meal hours.
Old Jul 25, 2005, 12:27 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by eastwest
While every airline has it's good and bad cabin crewmembers, I think that AS consistently has the best FA's. :-:
Absolutely true!!!!!!!!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.