HA Flights Earn Elite Bonus

Old Jul 11, 05, 5:56 pm
Original Poster

HA Flights Earn Elite Bonus

So in today's fare sale email:

Earn Miles on Hawaiian Airlines in "H" Class
Mileage Plan members can now earn Mileage Plan Miles when traveling in "H" class of service on Hawaiian Airlines. This new change provides members with even more opportunities to earn Mileage Plan Miles on flights to Hawaii. MVP and MVP Gold members will also earn the tier Bonus Miles when traveling in this class of service.
The HA section of the Air Partners page hasn't been updated to allow for H class accural.

However, the MVP/MVPG benefits page does show that HA now earns the elite bonus (it did not previously). The webpage doesn't say the elite bonus is earned for H class only, so there is some confusion between it and the email, but I presume that the bonus applies to all mileage earning fares. HA flights still don't count for status though.

It's nice to have at least have one additional carrier to earn elite bonuses on after the termination of KL-AS.
Old Jul 11, 05, 6:47 pm

When I flew HA two years ago, I received 50% bonus miles as an MVP, even on a cheap ticket--so I think AS has always had an elite bonus for HA flights (as long as they were eligible for mileage).

The addition of H bucket fares to Mileage Plan is good news.
Old Jul 11, 05, 6:47 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott lifetime Plt, UA 1K
Originally Posted by keithguy
It's nice to have at least have one additional carrier to earn elite bonuses on after the termination of KL-AS.
you may get the tier bonus but unlike KL it won't count towards MVP/MVPG
Old Jul 11, 05, 8:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by trucker
When I flew HA two years ago, I received 50% bonus miles as an MVP, even on a cheap ticket--so I think AS has always had an elite bonus for HA flights (as long as they were eligible for mileage).
Hmm... I didn't know that. The Oct. 2004 Internet Archive's copy of the MVP/MVPG Benefits page doesn't show HA being an elite bonus carrier. Neither does the Apr. 2003 version.
Old Jul 11, 05, 8:41 pm

Programs: AS MVP/AC E75K/SPG-Marriott Titanium/Accor-FPC Plat/IHG Plat/HHDiamond/Hyatt Exp
I recall that HA flights booked in H or K class never used to earn FF miles with AS or others and even today the HA fare rules on their website state:

- Flights booked in H and K class of service DO NOT qualify for other airline frequent flyer miles.

However, I also recall almost 2 years ago that there was confusion at the MVP Desk at MP about the 50%/100% bonus, but when my miles posted they showed up like this:

10/18/2003 Hawaiian Air Flight
KAHULUI TO SEATTLE/TACOMA 0030 2,640 2,640 5,280
10/9/2003 Hawaiian Air Flight
SEATTLE/TACOMA TO KAHULUI 0029 2,640 2,640 5,280

Needless to say, I was very happy. (I was MVP Gold in 2003).
Old Jul 11, 05, 9:53 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Alaska MVP Gold
Maybe Hawaiian is stepping up with this to protect their routes. After all, America West just announced that they will be flying non-stop to 4 of the Hawaiian islands from Phoenix and to Maui from Las Vegas. This effectively kills the partnership/code share with America West and puts Hawaiian's flights into Phoenix and Las Vegas in jeopardy. I hear that Alaska has been looking at expanding to Hawaii as well. Basically, Hawaiian needs to throw it all out there to protect itself from Alaska expanding its routes to Hawaii as well and keep customers happy.
Old Jul 18, 05, 12:27 pm

Programs: AA (PLT/3MM/Admirals Club), AS (MVPG), UA, Marriott (Gold), HHonors, Accor (Plat)
Originally Posted by WebTraveler
Maybe Hawaiian is stepping up with this to protect their routes. After all, America West just announced that they will be flying non-stop to 4 of the Hawaiian islands from Phoenix and to Maui from Las Vegas. This effectively kills the partnership/code share with America West and puts Hawaiian's flights into Phoenix and Las Vegas in jeopardy. I hear that Alaska has been looking at expanding to Hawaii as well. Basically, Hawaiian needs to throw it all out there to protect itself from Alaska expanding its routes to Hawaii as well and keep customers happy.
This is interesting. Hawaiian recently announced that you could only earn AA miles for interisland flights.

From AA.com:
# Effective for tickets purchased on/after August 1, 2005, regardless of travel date, transpacific segments on Hawaiian Airlines will no longer accrue AAdvantage miles
# Effective for tickets purchased on/after August 1, 2005, regardless of travel date, miles will accrue only on Hawaiian inter-island segments (within the Hawiian islands) in the current eligible fare classes
That is certainly a downgrade in the partnership!

Search this Thread