Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Any way to use $25 aircare discount with internet only fare?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2005, 7:00 pm
Original Poster

I have 3 $25 off coupons I got in "Air Care" kits a while back, and am having a tough time using them. I was hoping that I could hold an internet only fare online and then go to the airport and apply these. When I got to the airport, I was told the fare for the res I had on hold was around $210, even though I have the confirmation email that says it's $159. I was also told there was no record of it ever having been $159, for what it's worth. Of course, they could not replicate the internet only fare at the airport, and calling the res number only yielded a busy signal. So we were stuck with the $210, for an after discount savings of $25. Is there any way I can use these discounts in conjunction with an internet only fare, or is it off to CC with them?
Old Jun 17, 2005, 7:10 pm

Programs: I am an AS employee, but my comments do not represent the company in any official capacity.
I am about 95% confident that the answer is no. IO fares cannot be used with other discounts, certificates, vouchers, credits, etc...
Old Jun 19, 2005, 9:48 am

Programs: CO, AA, UA, DL
Internet fares are discounted because AS doesn't have to pay anyones salary to speak with you about the fare.... there is low overhead. Therefore, as soon as you have to talk with someone (over the phone or at the airport) you are not able to book that fare.

So, I guess this makes the $25 discount pretty worthless unless you buy last minute fares or flexible which are the same price online or at the airport. Suggestion..... If you've got any of the old paper companion certificates (which require ticketing at the airport anyway) use the $25 discounts for the full fare pax. You're already at the airport. Also, you can check the fare rules online. If it doesn't say internet only fare, you may be able to purchase the same fare at the airport with the coupons. I'd call reservations about a specific fare first though.
Old Jun 22, 2005, 12:15 pm

Because of what you've just described, I personally think the 1000 MP miles is better value vs. the $25 off.
Old Jun 23, 2005, 11:12 pm

Programs: AS, IHG
Originally Posted by alamedaguy
I have 3 $25 off coupons I got in "Air Care" kits a while back, and am having a tough time using them. I was hoping that I could hold an internet only fare online and then go to the airport and apply these. When I got to the airport, I was told the fare for the res I had on hold was around $210, even though I have the confirmation email that says it's $159. I was also told there was no record of it ever having been $159, for what it's worth. Of course, they could not replicate the internet only fare at the airport, and calling the res number only yielded a busy signal. So we were stuck with the $210, for an after discount savings of $25. Is there any way I can use these discounts in conjunction with an internet only fare, or is it off to CC with them?
I call those the, "Gee-we're-sorry-we-inconvenienced-you-now-we're-really-going-to-make-you're-life-a-living-he!!-to-make-up-for-our-screw-up" certificates. Pretty frustrating huh? The question is... are they more frustrating to use than the initial event when you received them? My answer is usually yes.

Sorry so cynical.

Alison
Old Jun 24, 2005, 7:55 am

Originally Posted by alamedaguy
FYI: Internet only, web only, web specials cannot be seen by res or airport agents. They are available only through the web site. There is no way to access them or price them outsite of the web environment. Hopefully the Air Care kits will start having an e-cert code to use in the future.
Old Jun 24, 2005, 10:52 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold, DL, Marriott, Hilton Honors Gold, AMEX Membership Rewards
Also figured out years ago to just send those "care" certificates in for the FF mileage credit. You just do not come out ahead trying to use them for flights--mostly because you can not use then on alaskaair.com, so you lose the 1000 point online booking bonus you would have received, plus any fare reductions for booking on line.
Old Jun 26, 2005, 8:44 am

Location: Port Angeles, WA, USA Unwanted by AS, Hilton-Diamond, Starwood Platnum
Originally Posted by Alaska14k
Also figured out years ago to just send those "care" certificates in for the FF mileage credit. You just do not come out ahead trying to use them for flights--mostly because you can not use then on alaskaair.com, so you lose the 1000 point online booking bonus you would have received, plus any fare reductions for booking on line.
Likewise

The value of the voucher is $25 minus $15 for the 1,000 miles lost via on line booking. (I value an airmile at $.015) net gain maybe $10, minus time it takes to stand in line and get help. Versus just sending them in for 1,000 airmiles net gain of $15.
Old Jun 26, 2005, 8:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Superd1
Likewise

The value of the voucher is $25 minus $15 for the 1,000 miles lost via on line booking. (I value an airmile at $.015) net gain maybe $10, minus time it takes to stand in line and get help. Versus just sending them in for 1,000 airmiles net gain of $15.

If you use three for one booking, the second and the third won't incur an additional hit for losing the online booking bonus, though.

Not that that makes a huge difference, though.
Old Jul 8, 2005, 4:14 pm
Original Poster

Update:

OAK-SEA fares seem to have been pretty volatile over the last couple of weeks, but there was finally a non internet-only fare Monday with the lowest price, so we got it ticketed with the certs.

Thanks, all, for the input.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.