FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   AS last in on time performance in May (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/450768-last-time-performance-may.html)

jerry a. laska Jul 8, 2005 11:12 am

AS last in on time performance in May

Alaska Airlines on time performance for May was 59 percent placing it last among 20 major airlines in statistics compiled by the Department of Transportation. Next lowest was Independence Air at 78 percent; the average of all airlines was 83.7 percent. Alaska's average at Phoenix was 43 percent; the average of all airlines at Phoenix was 86 percent.
"In May, Alaska Airlines canceled 301 out of 12,796 flights, making it the third-highest percentage of cancellations.
Alaska had the second-highest percentage of complaints per 100,000 passengers against the company during May. Compared to last year, the company was ranked in the top three airlines with the fewest complaints.
Finally, Alaska Airlines was one of three domestic airlines that reported a pet death."
http://www.juneauempire.com/stories/...50708027.shtml

toadman Jul 8, 2005 11:19 am

One can only hope it gets better from there; 59% is just unconscionable.

channa Jul 8, 2005 11:24 am

They made changes to the schedule, but not until earlier this week. So expect June's stats to be bad as well, but hopefully we'll see improvements in July.

jtkauai Jul 8, 2005 11:25 am

if it makes you feel any better, the stats may not be that meaningful. for example, hawaiian got 1st place in on-time. however, the majority of their flights are inter-island, of 20 minutes duration, and almost never have weather. someone on the ha board recently analyzed and found that hawaiian would have been last in the prior results had the inter-island portion been removed. liars figure and figures lie.

channa Jul 8, 2005 11:37 am

Originally Posted by jtkauai
if it makes you feel any better, the stats may not be that meaningful. for example, hawaiian got 1st place in on-time. however, the majority of their flights are inter-island, of 20 minutes duration, and almost never have weather. someone on the ha board recently analyzed and found that hawaiian would have been last in the prior results had the inter-island portion been removed. liars figure and figures lie.

Which is why you can look at the full report and isolate out the reportable airports (the 31 largest in the country), and see how everyone compared.

At those airports, the average was 83.4%, and AS had 58.9% on-time performance.

In fact, AS's performance managed to singlehandedly put SEA's performance into the most delayed airport in the country (behind typical winners such as LGA and EWR).

- SEA had 71.5% on-time performance on 8,765 arrivals
- AS at SEA had 56.9% on-time performance on 3,839 arrivals

So, if you pull AS's numbers out of there, without AS, SEA would have had 82.9% ontime performance on 4,926 arrivals.

I wonder if the airport authority is at all concerned with this.

johnp012001 Jul 8, 2005 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by channa
Which is why you can look at the full report and isolate out the reportable airports (the 31 largest in the country), and see how everyone compared.

At those airports, the average was 83.4%, and AS had 58.9% on-time performance.

In fact, AS's performance managed to singlehandedly put SEA's performance into the most delayed airport in the country (behind typical winners such as LGA and EWR).

- SEA had 71.5% on-time performance on 8,765 arrivals
- AS at SEA had 56.9% on-time performance on 3,839 arrivals

So, if you pull AS's numbers out of there, without AS, SEA would have had 82.9% ontime performance on 4,926 arrivals.

I wonder if the airport authority is at all concerned with this.

channa is absolutely right. Look at the whole report. Clearly from the discussions here, everyone anticipated it would be bad, but this is pretty incredible. Alaska owned more than 1/2 of the flights that were late 80% or more of the time. Of those, Alaska had by FAR the highest average minutes late! AS76 JNU-SEA was late 80.76% of the time and averaged 62 minutes late! These numbers clearly put the fact behind the anecdotal evidence reported here. I can just say, I'm glad I wasn't travelling much in May!