Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AS LAS Gate Change

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2005, 10:45 am
Original Poster

AS LAS Gate Change

Before a recent SEA-LAS R/T I received the following automatically generated email from AS:

Effective May 4, 2005 flights operated from Las Vegas by Alaska Airlines will depart from D Gates 25 & 26 in Terminal One at McCarran Airport.

Due to increased transit time to the new gates, we require you check in for your flight at least 45 minutes prior to departure, so please allow extra time when departing from Las Vegas. Customers not checked in 45 minutes prior to departure may be reaccommodated on a later flight, so we recommend being at the airport at least 90 minutes prior to your flight.

Once checked-in at the Alaska Airlines ticket counter in Las Vegas, proceed through D Gate security and directly to the tram entrance.

I hadn't been in "D" since my old Reno Air days, so I wasn't sure what to expect. As a result, we got there plenty early. Some observations...

Yes, there might be a slight increase in transit time due to the tram, but by the time we got through security, the tram had arrived and the trip only took a few extra minutes. There is a first class line on the left side of the screening area, which allows you to circumvent the five serpentine screening lines, but be aware that this line is for FC and wheelchair passengers only. Since LAS has a fairly large number of wheelchair-assisted passengers, I’m not sure we saved much time using this line. (I was a little concerned that the security contractor checking our web check-in boarding passes might not be familiar with AS, but there was no problem.) There is no special screening line that I could see for passengers with airline status at this gate. Total time through security, on and off the tram, and up the escalator to the D concourse: about 25 minutes.

Once at the D concourse, I realized I would never miss “A” again. The food options are fantastic. There is a Ruby’s Diner, Gordon Biersch, Harlon’s BBQ, Wolfgang Puck Express, Quiznos, Starbucks, a soon to open Chili’s, all this in addition to the other usual fast food places in this area. Many, if not all, prepare food to go. This terminal appears to have been recently remodeled, and is very attractive and clean. We did not notice any cigarette smoke while walking around the area. The usual tight slot machines dotted the area.

Other airlines using the D gates include AA, DL, NW and CO, which could make for some convenient connections and interesting mileage runs in the future.

All in all, we were very pleased by these new gates, a huge improvement over “A” IMHO. ^
Old May 5, 2005, 12:11 pm

<<All in all, we were very pleased by these new gates, a huge improvement over “A” IMHO.>>

Were the slots in D any looser? <grin>
Old May 5, 2005, 3:18 pm

Hmmm...well I had no problem with the A gates. Did the AS ticket counter move as well? AS website still not updated.
Old May 5, 2005, 5:31 pm

Programs: Starwood Platinum; Marriot Rewards Silver; Alaska Air Miles
I've never known anywhere else other than the A gates in LAS. I've done about 22 trips there and back in the last year and a bit..

How do you get to D gates from where the check in was or is now?

I assume it's the same building and you hang a left at the top of the elevators instead of a right?
Old May 5, 2005, 6:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sltlyamusd
Hmmm...well I had no problem with the A gates. Did the AS ticket counter move as well? AS website still not updated.
Not sure but I don't think so. We didn't visit the counter as we had printed our boarding passes ahead of time and had no bags to check. Here's an article from the Review Journal, albeit a month old.

(updated with link)

Last edited by cethen; May 5, 2005 at 6:47 pm
Old May 5, 2005, 6:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BCMike
I've never known anywhere else other than the A gates in LAS. I've done about 22 trips there and back in the last year and a bit..

How do you get to D gates from where the check in was or is now?

I assume it's the same building and you hang a left at the top of the elevators instead of a right?
That's correct... after you go up the escalator from the ticket counters, you hang a left and follow the signs.
Old May 7, 2005, 12:54 pm
Original Member

Programs: Starbucks Gold
Make sure you do get to the D gate early and see what the Screening line is like, depending on if there is a convention in town it can take half an hour to get through the line, then you need to take the tram, and then get to your gate.
Old May 8, 2005, 2:25 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AS Lounge
Yesterday afternoon the security line for non-FC passengers at the D gates was a lot longer than for A (I peeked at A before heading off for D.) I'm definitely going to allow more time now when leaving LAS.

I actually preferred the A gate food options over D, so I guess that's just a matter of personal preference. I did notice that the air conditioning worked better at the new D gates than at A. Also I could actually understand the announcements over the PA system at D. That was a pleasant change from A. So there's good and bad.

The worst parts, frankly, were a surly TSA worker at security and, unfortunately, the most unpleasant AS gate agent I've ever encountered at the gate.
Old May 8, 2005, 8:33 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA PlatPro, Hilton DM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC, National EE
Wow! Great news! I always enjoyed the D concourse when flying on United. Lately it's been back to Alaska for me to LAS and suffering through the A gates. I especially enjoy the food choices at D instead of my usual Taco Bell at the end of A.
Old May 9, 2005, 3:48 pm

Programs: AA (PPro/3MM/Admirals Club), AS, UA, Marriott (Gold), HHonors (Gold), Accor (Plat)
Originally Posted by Rad456
Make sure you do get to the D gate early and see what the Screening line is like, depending on if there is a convention in town it can take half an hour to get through the line, then you need to take the tram, and then get to your gate.
Definitely watch the line length! I took 45 minutes one time to get to through the D gate line, although I think things are a bit more efficient now. The First Class line is only first class, there were no elite status lines that I could find.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.