FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   MVP Status for free? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/381063-mvp-status-free.html)

lucky9876coins Dec 16, 2004 4:38 pm

MVP Status for free?

I have just signed up for the Alaskan Airlines Mileage program. I plan on flying around 100,000 miles a year with AS, NW and AA. A friend told me that if you call up Alaskan Airlines and tell them that you are planning on travelling a lot in the coming year with them, they will give you MVP status on the spot if you fly 25,000 miles in the next three months. Can anybody confirm this? Thanks

fredmartens Dec 16, 2004 4:46 pm

Um, I think you get MVP anyway after flying 20K, MVPG for 40K. Enjoy AS, they're a fine airline.

lucky9876coins Dec 16, 2004 4:59 pm

I plan on flying with partners as weel, which means 25,000 and 50,000.

fredmartens Dec 16, 2004 5:49 pm

a: If you already know this, then why ask?

b: why not call AS and find out?

Then YOU can be the harbinger of inside information! ;)

BLI-Flyer Dec 16, 2004 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by lucky9876coins
I have just signed up for the Alaskan Airlines Mileage program. I plan on flying around 100,000 miles a year with AS, NW and AA. A friend told me that if you call up Alaskan Airlines and tell them that you are planning on travelling a lot in the coming year with them, they will give you MVP status on the spot if you fly 25,000 miles in the next three months. Can anybody confirm this? Thanks

I don't think AS is going to give you status just because you tell them you're going to fly a lot next year. After all, you could just book a bunch of refundable tickets and then cancel them. They might match your status from another airline, you can call and ask. They will certainly grant you status, as pointed out in a previous post, after you fly enough miles to qualify. :)

lucky9876coins Dec 16, 2004 6:09 pm

fredmartens, I don't know, which is why I am asking the question.
Secondly, we could argue that all the questions on this forum could be answered by callig the airlines, so tone down a bit.

Snowdevil Dec 16, 2004 6:28 pm

fredmartens, I don't know, which is why I am asking the question.
Secondly, we could argue that all the questions on this forum could be answered by callig the airlines, so tone down a bit.

Lucky, Fred was just making a valid point. You asked:

A friend told me that if you call up Alaskan Airlines and tell them that you are planning on travelling a lot in the coming year with them, they will give you MVP status on the spot if you fly 25,000 miles in the next three months. Can anybody confirm this?

So Fred replied:

Um, I think you get MVP anyway after flying 20K, MVPG for 40K.

Clearly he replied to point out that you'll hit MVP after 20K, so why were you bothering to ask about 25K - you'd have already hit MVP by then, right?

Of course then you pointed out:

I plan on flying with partners as weel, which means 25,000 and 50,000.

So obviously you already know that you need 25K when you fly partners as well as AS metal - which again begs the question, why would you need to ask about this if you already know the answer?

I think the confusion here is that you're wondering if they'll spot you MVP status because you plan to fly 25K - but haven't ACTUALLY flown that amount yet. Is that correct?

And if that's the case, then it never hurts to ask - but Mileage Plan typically only spots someone status based on matching your status at another carrier, not based on your promises of miles galore down the line. :cool:

fredmartens Dec 16, 2004 7:04 pm

Thank you for clarifying, Snowdevil. I guess Lucky missed the wink and smile, too.

myleguy Dec 16, 2004 7:57 pm

The OP might want to try this: early this year I saw I was going to be flying to the Northwest quite a bit. I called Mileage Plan and requested a comp to MVP. I was turned down but offered a shortcut. If I flew 10k miles ny 6/30 I would receive MVP for the rest of the year. I did reach the 10k by the cutoff date and am @ 23k for the year (all on AS). The 50% bonus and nearly guaranteed upgrades to/from DEN have been great since June.

BLI-Flyer Dec 16, 2004 9:58 pm

I have just signed up for the Alaskan Airlines Mileage program.

You're probably in the wrong forum then, since this is the ALASKA Airlines forum. :D