Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alaska Airlines Visa Canada Card

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2004, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Received a promo mailer today offering 10,000 miles to sign up for the Canadian Platinum card. It also came with an insert that if you use the companion voucher by Jan 05 (I believe) they will mail you another one!

The application is pre-printed and there is a mock card in the mailer as well.
Old Dec 3, 2004, 12:42 pm

Ok, so now I'm p-o'd.

Signed up for the new Alaska Airlines Platinum CC for Canadians last month. Initial offer of 5000 points, etc... Got the card last week.

Now, today, I receive a promo in the mail for the same Platinum card but this time for 10,000 points.

Has anyone had experience disputing the (un)fairness of like promotions?
The mailer has NO telephone number on it anywhere to call.

Is this an issue for AS Consumer Affairs?
Old Dec 3, 2004, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Call the people who issued you your card. Surely they will give you the extra miles. If not they guarantee you will not renew.
Old Dec 3, 2004, 7:52 pm

I was actually able to figure out a way to email them - in the email I explained that as a loyal customer I signed up when first available on the website and then later received the promo piece and concluded with a request for an additional 5000 points.

Here is a copy of the (comical) response:

Thank you for contacting Bank of America.

Unfortunately, new marketing offers are not transferable to existing
accounts. You are not being penalized for being a customer or for
having the Alaska Airlines Canada product. Our marketing offers are
constantly changing and will continue to change in the future. We are
unable to apply the terms of new offers to existing customer's accounts
each time a new marketing offer is introduced.

A good comparison would be when purchasing a vehicle from a dealership.
Automobile marketing offers change on a monthly basis. If you purchases
a vehicle and then see that the offer or financing rates have changed
the following month, the dealership will not be able to apply the terms
of the new offer to your previous vehicle purchase. You can, however
refinance the loan used to purchase your vehicle. The same holds true
with your Bank of America Alaska Airlines Visa account. You may call us
directly at 1.800.732.9194, to take advantage of promotional interest
rates that may be available to you. Typically, new accounts are
extended a low introductory rate for six to twelve months and may be
eligible for lower pricing again after being open at least six to nine
months.

We appreciate the opportunity to assist you online. Should you have any
further inquiries, please e-mail us again.

Sincerely,
Customer Service Rep, Bank of America
Old Dec 3, 2004, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yeah, whatever. Call them and don't hang up until you get the 5000 miles

PS - What a stupid response. You may be quite willing to cycle thousands upon thousands of dollars through the account and you WERE sent the promo so they INTENDED to give it to you. I would actually cut the card up and send it back to them if they totally refused and cc'd the letter to Alaska Customer relations.
Old Dec 3, 2004, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Altaflyer
Yeah, whatever. Call them and don't hang up until you get the 5000 miles

PS - What a stupid response. You may be quite willing to cycle thousands upon thousands of dollars through the account and you WERE sent the promo so they INTENDED to give it to you. I would actually cut the card up and send it back to them if they totally refused and cc'd the letter to Alaska Customer relations.
It's also a stupid analogy. You can't just take back the car and then buy a new one at the new deal terms. You can, however, cancel your card at anytime and apply for a new one. There's a credit hit involved but, for 10,000 additional miles, it's probably worth it.
Old Dec 4, 2004, 12:06 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Gold LT
Is the 10,000 mile offer only available to those who were targeted?

I did not get one (yet) in the mail, but who knows.

Also what is this about a credit hit? I thought that your credit report is not affected by how many credit cards you have applied and received but how many you currently have. In Canada I am getting excited because for the first time, we are starting to see some credit cards - AS, SPG which can convert to FF miles, Amex and their new points, RBC avion which gave me 10,000 for signing up and 2 points per dollar spent. I am ready to sign up for them all - or is that not too wise.
Old Dec 4, 2004, 12:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by smilee
Is the 10,000 mile offer only available to those who were targeted?

I did not get one (yet) in the mail, but who knows.

Also what is this about a credit hit? I thought that your credit report is not affected by how many credit cards you have applied and received but how many you currently have. In Canada I am getting excited because for the first time, we are starting to see some credit cards - AS, SPG which can convert to FF miles, Amex and their new points, RBC avion which gave me 10,000 for signing up and 2 points per dollar spent. I am ready to sign up for them all - or is that not too wise.
Each application reports a credit application "inquiry" on your credit report. As I understand it, the number of these types of inquiries within the last 12 months is one factor in the credit score. More hits, lower score.
Old Dec 4, 2004, 5:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think multiple inquiries may label you as a "credit seeker" and can effect the rating to a degree. I think the better option is to wait for each of these cards to get desperate and start offering the moon, like RBC is currently doing I too took them up on their "moon offer", how can you say no to 10,000 pts (ie. 10,000 AA miles or 15,000 BA with promo) and 2 pts per dollar until Aug 31/05? Its getting interesting up here - too bad AS had to wait until now to launch as otherwise I'd probably already have their card! May still get AS for the 2 passes as then the cost is really $45 CAD for 10,000 mile or less than 0.5 cents per miles and I need 2 passes and the miles put me into another award level.

PS - When do the free boardroom passes expire?

Last edited by Altaflyer; Dec 4, 2004 at 6:52 am
Old Dec 7, 2004, 9:31 am

Canadian Visa Card

I also am feeling a little hard done by in view of the fact I have had the US denominated card for almost 2 years and obtained the Canadian card virtually immediately online. I even charged 2 tickets to the account on Dec. 2 which presumably would precipitate another companion certificate.
I am pusuing this "softly" with B of A and we shall see. The CSR(she has referred to it to corporate promotions) certainly understood the logic of ensuring consistency. I am more interested in the companion cert., frankly, than the points but both would be appreciated.
Old Jan 13, 2005, 8:50 pm

Received my 2nd BoA Alaska Airlines Credit Card statement today.

I'm a little perpleced by a couple of things:

1. The way they calculate/show/charge the foreign exchange service charge - there is a one-line entry on the statement which (I suppose) equates to their take on the transaction. The back of the statement says that the rate shown (per transaction) includes 1% which is VISA's take and that the single line that reads "Total Foreign Exchange Currency Conversion Adj" is supposed to be their 2% (for a total of 3%). I tried for about an hour to figure out how they calculate their take - but it's not a simple 2% of any number I could come up with (i.e., a total of all F/X transactions * 2%).

2. The statement message this month says - in the Customer Corner: "Try online banking as a New Year Resolution! You can check balances, pay bills or determine if a check was paid. Just log www.bankofamerica.com." Ok, so even though BoA only has credit cards in Canada, I take the plunge and attempt to access my account on-line - hey, that would be cool - esp., since I didn't think they offered this service - but maybe the statement message is announcing the inevitable??? So, I go over to bankofamerica.com and after playing around a bit and 'forcing' the system to accept my info a new screen pops up with the following message: "Online Banking will be available for Alaska Airline Visa Canada accounts in April 2005."

FYI ~

Last edited by todd-r; Jan 13, 2005 at 8:52 pm
Old Jan 16, 2005, 10:44 pm

Programs: AS,AC
Can't find the 10000 Cnd

I can only find the 5000 bonus AS Canadian Platinum Visa. Is there an address ? I got the 5000 one a few weeks ago (silly me, eh). However my wife wants to apply for the 10000 pt one. Can you point me (her) in the right direction?
Old Jan 16, 2005, 11:09 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Gold LT
The 10,000 miles was targeted for me and my wife (perhaps because we are both MVPG) However, even when I entered the code on the website, it didn't work. I had to go to the Bank of America site, to get it to work.

The URL for 10,000 was www.alaskavisacanadanow.com

I was a bit concerned at first and was wondering if it was some sort of scam because the code they sent me did not work, and it kept promoting some credit report company whose URL did not work. Then when I emailed the company Bank of America, they said they do not communicate over the phone any credit card applications? A little strange??

All that said, other people have told me that Bank of America is a fine company to deal with.

The card even with 5000 bonus miles is pretty good as you get a two for one plus$50 and tax coupon, and two board room passes all for $75 I will try them out for a while and if everything is OK, will definitely recommend this card to friends. I think probably one of the best cards right now in Canada next to the RBC avion which is offering 10k and 2points per dollar.
Old Jan 17, 2005, 9:49 am

Programs: AS,AC
No 10000 miles on BofA page

I can only find the link to 5000 on the Bank of America Page. Am I blind ??
Old Jan 17, 2005, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by Dmarsh11
I can only find the link to 5000 on the Bank of America Page. Am I blind ??
The 10,000 point bonus sign-up was a targeted promo that was (surface) mailed at the beginning of December.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.