Wiki Posts
Search

Interesting MVP Gold Benefit

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2004, 7:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: Lifetime AA Gold-1MM
Interesting MVP Gold Benefit

I often change the times and/or dates of my Alaska/Horizon flights and the no change fee for MVP Gold is one of the most important benefits for me. What I didn't know is that it applies to flights on other carriers booked through AS as well as AS/QX. I have a flight coming up that I made major changes to yesterday. Two segments were on Horizon, four were on AA.; I added another city (2 more segments on AA) to the itinerary and extended the trip by four days, thinking I'd be charged the typical $100 AA change fee. (And no, these were not code share flights.) How wonderful to learn that there was no fee to change since I booked through AS and I'm MVP Gold.

Way to go Alaska!
Old Oct 1, 2004, 12:44 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Gold LT
Glad it worked for you,

I usually buy K,V,Q fares which require 7 day advance purchase. If I find out that I can get an early start on my trip, I usually can't change as I need to meet the 7 day advance purchase requirement. However I can change the return flight which is good especially if I am looking for an upgrade and F is full on my flight, I can look at an earlier or later flight with availability

Also sometimes, availability is an issue, and although there are seats on the plane, the K,V,Q buckets are sold out.
Old Oct 1, 2004, 2:19 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond+, Alaska Airlines MVP, Priority Club Platinum
That sounds great
Old Oct 2, 2004, 10:25 am

This is the BIGGGEST and best of the program perks IMO.

I have never tried changing on a partner, I always figured I had to pay and coughed up the $100. as recently as Thursday on an AS codeshare DFW-SNA!
Old Oct 4, 2004, 3:52 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 75, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by BLI-Flyer
I often change the times and/or dates of my Alaska/Horizon flights and the no change fee for MVP Gold is one of the most important benefits for me. What I didn't know is that it applies to flights on other carriers booked through AS as well as AS/QX. I have a flight coming up that I made major changes to yesterday. Two segments were on Horizon, four were on AA.; I added another city (2 more segments on AA) to the itinerary and extended the trip by four days, thinking I'd be charged the typical $100 AA change fee. (And no, these were not code share flights.) How wonderful to learn that there was no fee to change since I booked through AS and I'm MVP Gold.

Way to go Alaska!
Thats pretty amazing. I change AS flights often but did not realize the others could be changed to.

Just for clarification - you are talking about making bookings through Alaska/Horizon which incorporate other airlines (such as AA) segments in the itinerary, correct?
Old Oct 4, 2004, 5:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Lifetime AA Gold-1MM
Originally Posted by deeman
Thats pretty amazing. I change AS flights often but did not realize the others could be changed to.

Just for clarification - you are talking about making bookings through Alaska/Horizon which incorporate other airlines (such as AA) segments in the itinerary, correct?
Yes, I booked my original flight through Alaska, BLI-SEA-DFW-SAT. BLI-SEA on QX, SEA-DFW-SAT on AA, with the same return. I added SAT-DFW-MCI in the middle, all on AA, and changed the return to MCI-DFW-SEA-BLI, with MCI-DFW-SEA on AA, and SEA-BLI on QX. If I had made the reservations through AA, I would have been charged $100 plus the additional ticket cost to change the reservation. As an MVP Gold, AS only charged me the difference in the cost of the tickets.

Last edited by BLI-Flyer; Oct 4, 2004 at 5:40 pm
Old Oct 5, 2004, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by deeman

As long as your entire itinerary is issued on AS ticketing stock, all changes rules pertaining to the other airline will be superceeded by AS' rules. So if you won't be charged due to your MVP Gold status, you won't be charged change fees on the other airline too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.