Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What if Mt. St. Helens makes a mess?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2004, 2:57 pm
Original Poster

What if Mt. St. Helens makes a mess?

I understand if Mt. St. Helens were to erupt that there wouldn't be much damage over all, but from my understanding, there would be a significant problems related to air traffic. Being that PDX is ~110 miles south from the national park, and SEA is ~145 miles north, depending on the wind, it could go towards either airport.

Does anybody remember what happened back in 1980 to air traffic? I sure don't, I was less than a month old (I was born on Leap Day).

-Colby
Old Sep 30, 2004, 4:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: Ephesians 4:31-32
The wind was from the west at the time, so all of the ash blew into Eastern Washington and then, literally, around the world. We had no ash at all here in Seattle.
Old Sep 30, 2004, 4:36 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
Taller half commutes by train weekly to Corvallis, I am hoping St. Helens blows ash to the East.(sorry Columbia basin folks)

Amtrak schedules are flakey enough without natural disasters.

lala
Old Sep 30, 2004, 5:31 pm

Programs: AS 75K & BR Member- HHonors Diamond - Hertz PC - Marriott Titanium - IHG Ambassador
Originally Posted by Punki
The wind was from the west at the time, so all of the ash blew into Eastern Washington and then, literally, around the world. We had no ash at all here in Seattle.

That isnt true. My father Was a Port Of Seattle Policeman, and he brought home several "evidence" bag's (quartsize ziplocs) of the ash that was swept from the Runway at Sea-Tac.

We still have it.

My 2 cents

Chris
Old Sep 30, 2004, 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by Junkie
That isnt true. My father Was a Port Of Seattle Policeman, and he brought home several "evidence" bag's (quartsize ziplocs) of the ash that was swept from the Runway at Sea-Tac.

We still have it.

My 2 cents

Chris
And we had TONS in Portland. I remember the landscape looking like a grey snowstorm had hit. Having to wear face masks so you didn't breath the ash, and all the damage to car finishes and windows from the ash. Which spawned the warnings "Don't wipe your ash".

Unfortunately, I don't recall what it did to airtravel. Someone out there's gotta remember!
Old Sep 30, 2004, 6:21 pm

There were aircraft in the air at the time of the eruption, and many were revectored, but I don't believe there were immediate diversions. My dad was in one of the company planes later that afternoon and has some spectacular photos.

The aftermath in PDX was pretty potent. There was at least a week of delays/cancellations, to my (admittedly failing) memory. Amtrak service was signifiicantly disrupted on the Coast Starlight and Pioneer runs.

Oddly, ash ingestion isn't a huge problem for modern high-bypass engines. There is a well-documented case of a 747 losing engines to volcanic ash in the Pinatubo eruption, and being able to restart all of them before gravity won out.

Eric
Old Sep 30, 2004, 6:30 pm

When Mt Spurr west of Anchorage blew ( believe it was '89) it disrupted ANC operations for days. A European 747...can't remember which airline... on its way to Asia flew through some of the dust and all 4 of its engines stopped. Bet it was really quiet on that glider until the pilot was able to restart the engines.
Old Sep 30, 2004, 7:40 pm
NNH

Location: LA, after growing up in London and living all over Europe
Programs: Ex-BD, ex-NW, ex-AA, BA Gold
It was a BA flight. A friend of mine was on board, and said it was a very eerie silence...
Old Sep 30, 2004, 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by REC1111
When Mt Spurr west of Anchorage blew ( believe it was '89) it disrupted ANC operations for days. A European 747...can't remember which airline... on its way to Asia flew through some of the dust and all 4 of its engines stopped. Bet it was really quiet on that glider until the pilot was able to restart the engines.
Yes, it was 1989 but it was during an eruption of Mt. Redoubt, not Spurr. The 747 belonged to KLM.
Old Sep 30, 2004, 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by NNH
It was a BA flight.
Oh no it wasn't.

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...90FA020&rpt=fi
Old Sep 30, 2004, 8:50 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AA Plt, MR Lifetime Plat & Amb
On one of the smaller later eruptions (of St. Helens) we had a light dusting of ash in Federal Way. It was enough that as cars drove they would kick it up. Nothing much really, but it was exciting at the time.
Old Oct 1, 2004, 1:26 pm

eruption is on the way, according to various news channels
Old Oct 1, 2004, 1:35 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
flight interruptions....

flights scheduled to land in Portland are currently being diverted to Seattle, and all flights on the ground in Portland are departing
Old Oct 1, 2004, 2:00 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
thanks for the updates missy!
Old Oct 1, 2004, 2:19 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
update

apparently its only AS flights evacuating PDX ..QX is operating as scheduled.

(don't ask..I have no idea)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.