Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

preview new cabin configurations in September

Old Aug 26, 2004, 7:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan 75, Marriott Platinum

I wonder what the new configurations will be like. I hope people will post their thoughts!

Dear XXX,

As an MVP Gold member who spends a lot of time traveling with us, you already understand that Alaska Airlines takes your comfort and satisfaction very seriously. That's why we're inviting you to give us your input on several new cabin configuration concepts.

After all, there's no better judge of in-flight comfort and convenience than one of our frequent fliers like you.

For three days, beginning Tuesday, September 14th through Thursday, September 16th we will be holding special viewings where you can see the new options.

All viewings will be held at the Boeing/Teague Facility (see directions provided below). It's just east of the Airport. So, if you live in the Seattle area or will be traveling through SeaTac on any of these dates, please join us to provide your input on these new cabin arrangements.

Please look over the viewing times and dates below and if you would like to attend one of the sessions, simply RSVP by clicking the link provided. Space is limited, so please respond by September 6th, 2004. We look forward to seeing you and getting your expert opinion.

Viewing times: Review the following dates and times, then click here to make your final selection and confirm your reservation. Not all dates and times may be available since sessions can fill quickly.

Tuesday, 9/14/2004 Wednesday, 9/15/2004 Thursday, 9/16/2004
8:00AM 8:00AM 8:00AM
9:00AM 9:00AM 9:00AM
10:00AM 10:00AM 10:00AM
12:00PM 11:00AM 11:00AM
1:00PM 12:00PM 12:00PM
1:00PM 1:00PM
2:00PM
3:00PM
4:00PM

Driving Directions:
Boeing/Teague Facilities
17616 West Valley Highway
Tukwila, WA 98188

Northbound I-405
Take Exit 1, Highway 181 (West Valley Highway)
Turn RIGHT onto West Valley Highway
Drive South 1.2 miles and turn left at "Roma Furniture"
Drive past Roma Furniture to middle of the building and designated parking area

Southbound I-405
Take Exit 1, Interurban Ave S / Highway 181 (West Valley Highway)
Turn RIGHT onto Interurban Ave S, which becomes West Valley Highway
Drive South 1.5 miles and turn left at "Roma Furniture"
Drive past Roma Furniture to middle of the building and designated parking area
Old Aug 26, 2004, 8:13 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AA Plt, MR Lifetime Plat & Amb
Just got this myself & booked Thursday, 11:00 AM. I'll check it out and post a report. Anyone want to meet up for this?
Old Aug 27, 2004, 10:34 am

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
I can probably do thursday at 11.

lala
Old Aug 30, 2004, 2:50 pm

Programs: UA1KMM, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold
Just tried to schedule a viewing for Punki and I, and only one time showed up, and it was full. I guess we'll have to get the full report form Dudemon. I guess this must have been a hot draw for all of the other MVP Golds in the area.
Old Aug 30, 2004, 3:51 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AS Lounge
Some of us lowly MVP's got the invitation as well, so that would have contributed to the slots filling up quickly.
Old Aug 30, 2004, 8:41 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond+, Alaska Airlines MVP, Priority Club Platinum
I will not have the Camera Phone coverage like last time so if someone could remember to take pictures it would be appreciated.
Old Sep 1, 2004, 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by westcoastman
I will not have the Camera Phone coverage like last time so if someone could remember to take pictures it would be appreciated.
I'd be happy to take a few pictures but I don't have anywhere to post them. I can email them to someone who can post them on a site if that works.

lala, This should be fun!
Old Sep 7, 2004, 6:18 pm

I won't be able to go, but would appreciate knowing what they are planning to do (especially if they plan to reduce/increase legroom).
Old Sep 7, 2004, 11:52 pm

Programs: UA1KMM, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by Dudemon
I'd be happy to take a few pictures but I don't have anywhere to post them. I can email them to someone who can post them on a site if that works.

Hey Dude,

Send them to Punki ([email protected]) or me([email protected])
We'd love to see what we missed.

Hunki
Old Sep 8, 2004, 6:04 am

Originally Posted by Hunki
Hey Dude,

Send them to Punki ([email protected]) or me([email protected])
We'd love to see what we missed.

Hunki
No problem. If anyone else would like to see them let me know. I'll send them out Thursday afternoon when I get back. Of course they may not want any pictures taken but we'll see.
Old Sep 8, 2004, 7:52 am

Programs: Lifetime AA Gold-1MM
Originally Posted by Dudemon

You can post an album of photos on Yahoo Photos. Go to www.yahoo.com, under "Organize" select "photos." You upload your pictures to Yahoo to create an album, then send the link to the album to people you want to view the photos. You can make your album public or private. Works great!
Old Sep 8, 2004, 8:02 pm

Programs: UAL, AA, AS, CX
Take some pics if you can and share with us please.
Old Sep 10, 2004, 11:16 pm

Has anyone else been asked to reschedule?

I'm wondering if anyone else got an email on Friday asking them to reschedule for a three-hour session on Wednesday instead of their reserved time....perhaps AS is really interested in getting some deeper feedback on the seats, or is it possible that they'd like to talk about something other than where the cupholder should go. . . .

VibeGuy
Old Sep 14, 2004, 2:11 pm
Original Member

Programs: United Premier 1K, American AAdvantage Gold
I didn't get asked to the Wednesday session, but I did make it over to the exhibit this morning (9/14). It seems they have figured out they have two airlines, and the transcon stuff needs different furniture. They are also aware that most people won't pay full first class fare, so it seemed like they were searching for a combination of a better seat, sold at a price point both they and the customer can live with. There were three potential configurations. The standard 2 and 2 first class seats, a 2 and 3 arrangement (meaning one passenger would get a middle), but the seats are wider, thanks to the removal of one. Lastly, there was a 3 and 3, where the middle seat back folds down, and they leave it open, only using the window and aisle (this is pretty much what European carriers do at home).

We got a questionnaire, one side of which asked about how much you travel, and with whom, and if you have elite status elsewhere. You did that one first, then completed the back side after being shown the various seat arrangements. I sensed they are trying more to validate a reduced cabin configuration, than to get any suggestions on what to do. If they can sell the customer on a diminished service (either the 3 and 2, or the 3 and 3 with the middle empty), that's what they would like to do. It gives up less room, and makes most of the planes interchangeable between regional and long haul routes. They seemed especially interested in the relationship of what you were willing to live with in the way of diminished premium seating, against increased percentages of successful upgrading.

Alaska gets high marks for asking its customers what they think, but my natural suspicion tells me this is more about a choice of miseries. They are looking to downgrade the first class product. My continuing comment was that they could do anything they like, but that absent retention of the classic 2 and 2 F class seating, they would not be competitive in the transcon market. It would be a shame if they adopt these seating changes. It appears to me that, especially in the transcon markets, with a little promotion at the other end, they could fairly easily become the dominant carrier.

Last edited by deelmakur; Sep 14, 2004 at 2:13 pm
Old Sep 14, 2004, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by deelmakur
I didn't get asked to the Wednesday session, but I did make it over to the exhibit this morning (9/14). It seems they have figured out they have two airlines, and the transcon stuff needs different furniture. They are also aware that most people won't pay full first class fare, so it seemed like they were searching for a combination of a better seat, sold at a price point both they and the customer can live with. There were three potential configurations. The standard 2 and 2 first class seats, a 2 and 3 arrangement (meaning one passenger would get a middle), but the seats are wider, thanks to the removal of one. Lastly, there was a 3 and 3, where the middle seat back folds down, and they leave it open, only using the window and aisle (this is pretty much what European carriers do at home).

We got a questionnaire, one side of which asked about how much you travel, and with whom, and if you have elite status elsewhere. You did that one first, then completed the back side after being shown the various seat arrangements. I sensed they are trying more to validate a reduced cabin configuration, than to get any suggestions on what to do. If they can sell the customer on a diminished service (either the 3 and 2, or the 3 and 3 with the middle empty), that's what they would like to do. It gives up less room, and makes most of the planes interchangeable between regional and long haul routes. They seemed especially interested in the relationship of what you were willing to live with in the way of diminished premium seating, against increased percentages of successful upgrading.

Alaska gets high marks for asking its customers what they think, but my natural suspicion tells me this is more about a choice of miseries. They are looking to downgrade the first class product. My continuing comment was that they could do anything they like, but that absent retention of the classic 2 and 2 F class seating, they would not be competitive in the transcon market. It would be a shame if they adopt these seating changes. It appears to me that, especially in the transcon markets, with a little promotion at the other end, they could fairly easily become the dominant carrier.
A 3-2 configuration in F?!?!?! That would certainly remove upgrades as an incentive to fly AS. I would definitely weigh UA as an alternative since there seems to be just as much leg room in E+ as in AS' F seats.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.