Wiki Posts
Search

Comparison: AS vs. UA in F, SEA-ORD

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2004, 12:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP, DL Silv
Comparison: AS vs. UA in F, SEA-ORD

Over the last week I've been fortunate enough to fly SEA-ORD-SEA in F on both UA and AS. I rarely fly UA, so was quite surprised at the contrast in F service between the two airlines. To recap:

Food
  • Pre-flight, UA had flight attendants greet and offer OJ or water. AS had bottled water at seat.
  • On UA...even though I was in the 6th/last row of F, both meal offerings were still available by the time the FA got to me. AS had only one option left by the time they made it to the 3rd/last row.
  • UA's place settings - silverware, cloth tablecloth, salt/pepper shakers, etc were a very nice touch. AS place settings are a far cry from a couple of years ago - paper tablecloth, salt/pepper packets, etc, are subpar compared to UA.
  • UA offered 3-4 types of bread; I chose ciabatta and it was very good! AS provided a one-size-fits-all roll.
  • Overall the main course itself was comparable on both airlines.
  • UA had a dessert cart w/ ice cream sundaes. Funny enough, they provided plastic spoons instead of metal, and the FA joked that "you never know what you're going to get when we're in bankruptcy". AS offered a nice cheesecake for dessert.

In-flight Entertainment
UA offered a movie that didn't interest me, some advertising, and shorts; several audio channels were also available. AS provided the fantastic DigE Player, with multiple on-demand movie & music options.

Seat Comfort
The difference in seat pitch between UA & AS is dramatic. I didn't take measurements, but would venture to say that UA has at LEAST 25% more room. Additionally, UA had adjustable height headrests w/ "wings", which make for a very comfortable flight. AS' 737-400 had no wings or separate headrest.

Phone Availability
Each seat had a dedicated satellite phone w/ Verizon Airfone service. What was interesting is that Verizon Wireless offers a package that allows you to seamlessly have callers to your VZW cell # seamlessly forwarded to your seat during flight, at the very reasonable rate of 10c/minute! (plus $10/month flat service fee). I didn't know about the service 'til on-board, but signing up for the package was very easy to do by calling customer service while in-flight. Outbound domestic calls are also .10/minute, and the charges are conveniently added to your monthly VZW invoice.

Service
UA's service was a little more formal. Throughout the flight, each pax was addressed by last name, care was given to ask for and return jackets at beginning/end of flight. AS's service was a little more casual and no coat check service was offered. Both airlines were attentive to their passengers.

Passengers
As a side-note, UA F pax were primarily businessmen; AS F pax were a more casual crowd.

Upgrade Availability
Comparing the availability of upgrades, UA was much easier to obtain than AS...and I'm MVP/G and was booked on > Q fare.

Now I go out of my way to fly AS; I consider them to be my "hometown airline"...I especially appreciate all of their mileage partnerships...but after comparing the above it makes you think twice.

Can anyone else provide a comparison between UA > AS on a west coast route?

-Steve

Last edited by smantl01; Aug 9, 2004 at 12:58 am Reason: Correct my memory lapse regarding AS dessert offering
Old Aug 9, 2004, 12:52 am

Programs: AS MVP, Elevate, AAdvantage, Mileage Plus
Sounds like UA has been improving their service. I flew LAX-ORD with F service on UA a some number of months back, and we didn't have real linens, salt/pepper shakers or sundaes.

I agree that AS service tends to be more casual than on UA (AA or CO for that matter).

Last edited by EIPremier; Aug 9, 2004 at 1:08 am Reason: see above
Old Aug 9, 2004, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bar Alliance Gold
UA announced a number of enhancements to their First Class service on domestic flights of 2.5 hours or more a few months back, so it's clawing it's way back to what it was before 2002.

On the West Coast runs (which is pretty much SEA/PDX-LAX) UA does serve a sandwich or salmon salad (usually one or the other is the choice - we had salmon two weeks ago) during mealtimes - about what AS offers.
Old Aug 9, 2004, 2:30 pm

Programs: UA1K, AAPlat, SPG-G
On the short West coast routings, there is not much difference on food between AS and UA. However, UA F seats have more leg room than AS and UA has short entertainment programs on the tv monitor.
Old Aug 11, 2004, 11:00 am
Original Member

The main shortcomings of Alaska are inferior seats/legroom in F and lack of preflight drink service. However, their policy of waiving change fees for MVPG goes a long way toward compensating for that.

QL
Old Aug 14, 2004, 10:28 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM , AS MVPG , MR LTT, Hilton Dia
Well, I'm gold on both airlines, and while United may be a little bit classier service nothing beats being upgraded to F for free with a phone call like on AS. UA only gives you a certain number of those upgrade certs AND you have to wait for the flight to see if there is room.

By the way, when I flew UA to ANC last week (in F), the Purser was telling us about how much UA was trying to increase the F amenties. He said starting in November, they would be serving prime rib carved by your seat!

Glenn
Old Aug 15, 2004, 1:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Major G
Well, I'm gold on both airlines, and while United may be a little bit classier service nothing beats being upgraded to F for free with a phone call like on AS. UA only gives you a certain number of those upgrade certs AND you have to wait for the flight to see if there is room.

By the way, when I flew UA to ANC last week (in F), the Purser was telling us about how much UA was trying to increase the F amenties. He said starting in November, they would be serving prime rib carved by your seat!

Glenn
Carved with a butter knife?
Old Aug 15, 2004, 11:21 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, DL Gold, Avis First, Various hotel elites
Carved in the presence of a burly guy wearing a coat and tie with a military-style haircut. Obviously only a disinterested fellow passenger, right?
Old Aug 15, 2004, 9:20 pm

Programs: UA1K, AAPlat, SPG-G
I was rudely reminded again this morning how bad the seats pitch on AS F are when 1C just reclined his seat as soon as the plane took off!!!!!
Old Aug 16, 2004, 12:58 am

Programs: UAL 1K, Marriott, Hilton Gold. Delta Silver Medallion
I go out of my way to fly UAL even though I can easly get more destinations on AS from SEA to West Coast. On today's UA969 the choice of breads, salmon or chicken salad, lime pie, fruit plate, wet towel service, coffee with fresh baked cookies made AS look like WN , even in F
Old Aug 16, 2004, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by SeattlePilot
I go out of my way to fly UAL even though I can easly get more destinations on AS from SEA to West Coast. On today's UA969 the choice of breads, salmon or chicken salad, lime pie, fruit plate, wet towel service, coffee with fresh baked cookies made AS look like WN , even in F

Hehe...UA service isn't bad, but it's not quite like that, I don't think.
Old Aug 18, 2004, 12:15 pm
Original Member

I haven't flown UA in years but the service used to be exactly like that.

QL
Old Aug 18, 2004, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bar Alliance Gold
Flying in Business Class on a 767-300 ORD-SEA during dinner a few weeks back, we started with a nice salad (I do love UA's Asian dressing), our choice of two hot entrees (a stuffed chicken breast or grilled mahi-mahi) with warm breads, and ended with a nice key lime pie and apperitifs.

Dinner service on a two-class First flight would be identical, though they might get the sundaes. In First on my flight, they had a larger salad, the same entrees, and hot fudge sundaes.
Old Aug 21, 2004, 3:09 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott LT Platinum
Two other small plusses of UA are Channel 9 (the ability to listen in to ATC, available 75%+ of the time) and the EasyUpdate notifications, which proactively let you know when the u/g clears, if the flight is on time, etc. The pre-departure drink is also a plus for UA -- and though they sometimes only offer OJ and water, if you ask nicely you can almost always get a real drink.

One small plus of AS is the ability to change seats online -- in the sad event that your u/g doesn't clear, it's easier to snag the seats that open up when others' do.

As for other aspects of F service (getting called by name, hot towels, etc.) I've found these to be very hit or miss on both.
Old Aug 24, 2004, 11:38 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards; AAdvantage; Alaska Mileage Plan; Wyndham Rewards; Choice Hotels
I've never flown first class on United and have not flown United at all since April 1997 but on 21st August, I flew Alaska first class SEA-LGB. Flight 338 left SEA 1418 arrive LGB 1653. There was bottled water available upon boarding and I was given a GLASS of soda (I abstain from alcohol) and during the flight was given a bowl of hot mixed nuts, almonds, pecans and cashews. The F/A filled the glass of soda twice but I was disappointed there was no meal. The seat felt hard and even though larger, was not as comfortable as coach seats on Jet Blue, Frontier, and America West.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.