Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HORIZON CRJs SEA - SBA

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2004, 2:59 am
Original Poster

HORIZON CRJs SEA - SBA

Is there anybody else who's butt is burnt bright red by the lack of FIRST CLASS seating/service on this route?

The flight is officially listed as two hours twenty minutes and it's on a pencil jet with seats that can only be described as medieval torture devices!!!!!!!!!!!!

The SEA - SFO flights are one hour thirty seven minutes and there's a full meal service in First?

Why is Alaska/Horizon ripping off their premium passengers, offering nothing more than a piece of sh*t seat, crammed next to another passenger?

I believe this is completely unacceptable. I now plan my SEA - SBA trips routing through LAX and then the AA Saab shuttle to SBA. I can and will not handle/accept the CATTLE CAR sh*te Alaska/Horizon offers on their SEA - SBA flights.

And,yes to all you attitude queens, I HAVE emailed AS about this and they responded that they're not changing the configuration on their CRJs to First/Economy.

------------------
'Kai Tak heart attack?'
Old Mar 5, 2004, 3:32 am

The flight is officially listed as two hours twenty minutes and it's on a pencil jet with seats that can only be described as medieval torture devices!!!!!!!!!!!!

IMO, it's not any worse than coach on a 737 or 757, at least excluding MRTC products. The seat pitch and width is industry standard. At least there are no middle seats on the CRJs.

Certainly, it would not be worth it to me to make a connection through LAX (ugh!) and fly and even more uncomfortable SAAB turboprop unless the fare was much lower!
Old Mar 5, 2004, 3:44 am

OK, so yeah, I think First Class would be nice on the RJs, but not many airlines do it. Freedom Air (America West) is the only one I can think of. And lots of RJs fly 2 hour or longer segments these days.

Keep in mind that SBA had no non-stop service to SEA/PDX until a year ago, so it's better than nothing.
Old Mar 5, 2004, 7:31 am

Sign me up with the anti-RJ snobs. I'll mainline to LAX in F and puddle jumper up or fly into BUR mainline B4 ever getting on any RJ. Those things suck, IMHO.
Old Mar 5, 2004, 8:43 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, DL Gold, Avis First, Various hotel elites
The only saving grace is that AS flies the 700 version of the RJ. Flying on the 50-seat "instrument" with its excruciating shoulder room and diabolical window placement is truly torture.
Old Mar 5, 2004, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
I am not disagreeing with the premise of the original post. But...

(1) SEA/SBA probably couldn't support regular 737 service.
(2) Would you be paying for the F seat or expect it as an upgrade? (Oddly, I think this route could support a few sold F seats).

Unless AS is flying these CRJs at 95% capacity most of the time, an F "minicabin" of 2 rows @ 3 across is a very very low cost item if catering is the same as Y (and passengers know the F seat is just for seat, not for service).

Old Mar 5, 2004, 1:46 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Elevate, AAdvantage, Mileage Plus
I'm not a fan of CRJs, but I would agree that the CRJ-700 is more comfortable than smaller CRJ varients, with better head and shoulder room.

If Horizon added First Class to the CRJs, they would most likely transform 3-4 rows of 2x2 coach seating into 2-3 rows of 1x2 seating. This would make for 6 or 9 seats total in First and 58 or 54 in coach. So, the total capacity of the aircraft would decrease from 70 to 64 or 63 seats.

The point is that they would probably lose close to 10% of the total seating capacity by adding First Class.

[This message has been edited by EIPremier (edited Mar 05, 2004).]
Old Mar 5, 2004, 2:07 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by BA481K:
Is there anybody else who's butt is burnt bright red by the lack of FIRST CLASS seating/service on this route?

</font>
This is a visual I just don't need prior to lunch.

I would think that anything is better than doing the lax, sfo (often fogged out) or san connect to sba.

lala
Old Mar 5, 2004, 2:40 pm

Sorry folks but half full CRJs are a good indication that AS could not possibly fill a 737.

We're using RJs for what they are designed for; serving a regional market.

I'm really surprised at the complaints. I'd think a 2.5 hour non-stop flight is much more desirable over the 4 + hours it takes to fly over LAX. THAT seems a little torturous!

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by lalala:
This is a visual I just don't need prior to lunch.

I would think that anything is better than doing the lax, sfo (often fogged out) or san connect to sba.

lala
</font>
Old Mar 5, 2004, 3:14 pm

you have to be joking me, you are comparing sea-sba to sea-sfo. sba is no where a premium market, that is why the area has always had problems filling mainline jets.
Old Mar 5, 2004, 5:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, DL Gold, Avis First, Various hotel elites
Personally, I'm glad QX has the route. I use it fairly often. I'm not nearly brick red.

SBA is one of the most isolated markets in California with an infrastructure that teeters toward minimalist.

But flying an RJ for 2.5 hours, especially in a full aircraft accompanied by UCSB students in various states of hygiene and health, can be unpleasant. That pretty much describes my last flight out of the market.
Old Mar 5, 2004, 6:19 pm
Suspended

Does the Santa Barbara Airport have a suffcient runway to support a fully loaded 737 (or other full size aircraft)?
Old Mar 5, 2004, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by sxf24:
Does the Santa Barbara Airport have a suffcient runway to support a fully loaded 737 (or other full size aircraft)?</font>
I don't know about "fully loaded" but UA used to go SFO-SBA using 737's.
Old Mar 5, 2004, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by sxf24:
Does the Santa Barbara Airport have a suffcient runway to support a fully loaded 737 (or other full size aircraft)?</font>
Yes. See:
http://www.flysba.com/pdf/AFP/aircraftSizeV5.pdf
Old Mar 5, 2004, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Oh yes. I used to live in the landing path over in Ellwood Beach. 727s woke me up very early in the morn.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.