Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

surprised by availability of F seats on OAK-SNA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2004, 10:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan 75, Marriott Platinum

Been flying this sector for the past few months on a weekly basis. Was surprised to see 3 empty seats on first on the OAK-SNA sector last night (sunday) on the 8:38pm flight. Never seen this in the past few months.

Wonder if this is a result of the new upgrade program. One would have thought these seats would have been filled up by MVPG's and MVP's...
Old Mar 8, 2004, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I witnessed this twice last year. There were actually nine empty F seats on one of my SNA-OAK flights last fall.
Old Mar 8, 2004, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Does Alaska give free op upgrades to non MVPs when they have F seats available?
I got one on oak-sna route but I think it was a very unusual turn of events.
Old Mar 8, 2004, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by azepine00:
Does Alaska give free op upgrades to non MVPs when they have F seats available?
I got one on oak-sna route but I think it was a very unusual turn of events.
</font>
I would imagine this is only done when Y is overbooked and F seats remain available. I occasionally hear GA's in OAK offering the $50 upgrade over the loudspeaker. I assume that Y is oversold in these situations and that AS will perform an op upgrade prior to bumping passengers.
Old Mar 9, 2004, 9:55 am

Programs: Craftsman Tool Club - Silver Socket
4 empty seats on the Monday 9:20 AM flight as well.
Old Mar 10, 2004, 11:23 am
Original Poster

5 empty seats on Tuesday 4:38pm flight to OAK
5 empty seats on Wednesday 6:45 am flight to SNA
Old Mar 10, 2004, 9:38 pm

There were 4 empty seats on my flight last week SNA-OAK. Could be that B6 is getting more biz out of LGB.
Old Mar 10, 2004, 10:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by toadman:
There were 4 empty seats on my flight last week SNA-OAK. Could be that B6 is getting more biz out of LGB.</font>
I think it's more likely that most people flying this route just don't use AS all that much and therefore there are few MVP's. AS' Bay Area to SoCal service is terrible at best. I think AS has decided to concede the business traveller in this market to UA/WN and focus solely on the leisure traveller. Makes sense for routes like SFO-PSP (or SAN, please!) because of the relatively high leisure fares to those destinations. But BAY-SNA is packed with cheap seats - not sure why AS even keeps this route around (though I'm certainly happy that they do - easy FC upgrades for my occasional SNA trips).
Old Mar 11, 2004, 4:06 pm

Programs: UA1K, AAPlat, SPG-G
All F seats were taken last night (3/10) on AS446, Mickey's plane!
Old Mar 11, 2004, 5:57 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by rjque:
I think it's more likely that most people flying this route just don't use AS all that much and therefore there are few MVP's. AS' Bay Area to SoCal service is terrible at best. I think AS has decided to concede the business traveller in this market to UA/WN and focus solely on the leisure traveller. Makes sense for routes like SFO-PSP (or SAN, please!) because of the relatively high leisure fares to those destinations. But BAY-SNA is packed with cheap seats - not sure why AS even keeps this route around (though I'm certainly happy that they do - easy FC upgrades for my occasional SNA trips).</font>
Well, long as its that and it isnt that their electronic upgrade system is faulty. I wonder if there are any frustrated elite members on these flights...
Old Mar 11, 2004, 11:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by deeman:
Well, long as its that and it isnt that their electronic upgrade system is faulty. I wonder if there are any frustrated elite members on these flights...</font>
I don't think so, although I must say my experience with the new electronic upgrade system is limited to two flights. It worked like a charm both times.

I've never seen an empty F seat on any AS flight except SNA-OAK. Two weeks ago, on my SEA-OAK flight, there was one empty F seat as the gate agent came on board with the paperwork. The F flight attendant noticed the empty seat and proceded to move someone from coach to F. It didn't look like an employee (and I've never really seen a UA style 'employee class' up front on AS) so I assumed it was an MVPG stuck in the back.
Old Mar 12, 2004, 8:57 am
Original Poster

I guess I'll find out later in the year. I fly this sector failry often and had upgraded myself till about april prior to the end of Feb (when they implemented the new upgrade rule).

After April I'll be in economy so I'll come back and complain if I dont get upgraded and there are empty seats!
Old Mar 12, 2004, 9:40 am

Programs: Alaska Million Mile-MVPG75, Marriott Platinum Premier, Hertz Presidents Club
Very interesting topic. As an MVPG, I have not been able to upgrade PDX-SNA 2x, due to the stop in OAK (F full PDX-OAK). I was surprised to see empty seats OAK-SNA and no offer from AS to upgrade that leg. Any ideas on how to get those seats midway?
Old Mar 12, 2004, 4:16 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by jammiecat:
Very interesting topic. As an MVPG, I have not been able to upgrade PDX-SNA 2x, due to the stop in OAK (F full PDX-OAK). I was surprised to see empty seats OAK-SNA and no offer from AS to upgrade that leg. Any ideas on how to get those seats midway?</font>
Try asking at the check-in counter or at the gate.. see if they'll give you that sector. My guess would be their systems would only look at PDX-SNA as opposed to by segment and thats why they cant offer you the upgrade. Whereas if you made the comment at the gate they might.
Old Mar 12, 2004, 8:36 pm

This is a wierd routing, in terms of UG's.

It seemed the more I flew last year the worse my chances. Historically, commutter (Monday AM and Thursday PM) were always full as well as weekenders (Friday afternoon/evening and Sunday evening).

But it seems all bets are off, SW takes a chunk as did UA getting the LAX thinkg taken care of.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.