Community
Wiki Posts
Search

how do upgrades happen?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2004, 2:24 pm
Original Poster

how do upgrades happen?

Hi all, the new MVP would like to know how upgrades work with Alaska/Horizon. Will they upgrade only for the Y type pricey fares or for ANY fare? Is it automatic or do you have to call and request an upgrade? Those are 2 questions of mine. ANy input would be appreciated...thanks, Alexa
Old Jan 10, 2004, 7:35 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AS Lounge
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by jetcity405:
Hi all, the new MVP would like to know how upgrades work with Alaska/Horizon. Will they upgrade only for the Y type pricey fares or for ANY fare? Is it automatic or do you have to call and request an upgrade? Those are 2 questions of mine. ANy input would be appreciated...thanks, Alexa</font>
I believe the rules posted at www.alaskaair.com are current. i.e. For AS, MVP's can upgrade Y and YAS fares at anytime. Other fares can be upgraded 2 days prior to departure. For the latter, you do have to call to request the upgrade. Conventional wisdom has been that you can call at midnight 2 days before, but that hasn't been working for me lately. They tell me that the seats haven't yet been released. So you just keep calling and hoping and making sure that your seat selection in coach is a good one. As an MVP you can select exit row seating in advance if you want.

As for QX, no F class section means no upgrades. But you can again select exit row seating in advance.

Off Topic Note: I noticed that MVP's now get 50% off the initiation fee for the AS Board Room. So that's another benefit if you want to take advantage of it.

Welcome!

Edited to add that AS = Alaska, QX = Horizon. The AS is understandable, but I don't know where the QX came from. In my line of business, QX stands for the probability of death -- not a combination of letters one would expect for identifying an airline. But I digress...

[This message has been edited by Westcoaster (edited Jan 10, 2004).]
Old Jan 12, 2004, 6:09 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 75, Marriott Platinum
Does the same apply for MVP Gold (I'm new)? One would think there would be a more efficient way than to keep calling...
Old Jan 12, 2004, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by deeman:
Does the same apply for MVP Gold (I'm new)? One would think there would be a more efficient way than to keep calling...</font>
The "new" system is supposed to be automatic - so no calls will be necessary by either MVPs or MVPGs. This is suppose to start mid-February or so, having been pushed back from 1/1/04. We'll see what actually happens.
Old Jan 12, 2004, 8:07 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by rjque:
The "new" system is supposed to be automatic - so no calls will be necessary by either MVPs or MVPGs. This is suppose to start mid-February or so, having been pushed back from 1/1/04. We'll see what actually happens.</font>
Has AS announced officially that MVP upgrades will be automatic? Also what criteria will be used to decide which MVP's get upgraded first?

[This message has been edited by Westcoaster (edited Jan 13, 2004).]
Old Jan 13, 2004, 8:00 am

To answer my own question I called AS to get the scoop on any changes in MVP upgrades. The very nice lady looked it up in her system and found that under the new system MVP's will still need to call 2 days before the flight to get upgraded.

In addition, she said that MVPG's on the low fares that can't be upgraded at time of purchase will have to call 3 days before to get upgraded.

I don't know what happens after we call if upgrades aren't then available -- whether they can put us on a waitlist or whether we'll need to keep calling back. I didn't think to ask about that until after I hung up. If any kind AS employees know the answer, please do share. Thx.
Old Jan 13, 2004, 8:07 am
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Westcoaster:
To answer my own question I called AS to get the scoop on any changes in MVP upgrades. The very nice lady looked it up in her system and found that under the new system MVP's will still need to call 2 days before the flight to get upgraded.

In addition, she said that MVPG's on the low fares that can't be upgraded at time of purchase will have to call 3 days before to get upgraded.

I don't know what happens after we call if upgrades aren't then available -- whether they can put us on a waitlist or whether we'll need to keep calling back. I didn't think to ask about that until after I hung up. If any kind AS employees know the answer, please do share. Thx.
</font>
I'm not in the office at the moment, but most of this info sounds incorrect..or its changed (entirely possible) since I've looked at the info.

Its my understanding that the upgrade process will be automated..at least for the MVPG's. The MVP's may still have to call. MVP's are not waitlisted..they have to keep trying.
Old Jan 13, 2004, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I actually prefer having to call as I think it gives FlyerTalkers an advantage over the rest of the MVP pool.
Old Jan 13, 2004, 9:26 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond+, Alaska Airlines MVP, Priority Club Platinum
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by rjque:
I actually prefer having to call as I think it gives FlyerTalkers an advantage over the rest of the MVP pool. </font>
Agreed 100%. Automatic is bad for use here at Flyertalk.
Old Jan 13, 2004, 9:29 am

I just paid for my reservation online and called at 11:00 p.m last night for my upgrade to Puerto Vallarta on the fifteenth.
System works well as Alaska site shows which flifhts have fc available.
Old Jan 13, 2004, 10:21 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by missydarlin:
I'm not in the office at the moment, but most of this info sounds incorrect..or its changed (entirely possible) since I've looked at the info.

Its my understanding that the upgrade process will be automated..at least for the MVPG's. The MVP's may still have to call. MVP's are not waitlisted..they have to keep trying.
</font>
Thanks missy. I'll be prepared as an MVP to keep calling 2 days before if I need to. If they instead are going to automate the upgrade process for MVP's I hope they'll let us know and tell us what the criteria will be for who gets upgraded first -- based on date of purchase or fare or whatever. Also, will we need to indicate at time of purchase that we want to be considered for upgrade at the 2 day mark or will the AS system just grab us out of our coach seats at that point and assign us to F (possibly splitting up families, etc.) without us knowing about it. Lots of questions if they automate.

I'll try to be patient until we hear something official. Thanks again for taking the time to respond.

Old Jan 13, 2004, 11:02 am

Programs: Aeroplan 75, Marriott Platinum
So how does one know their fare class from their e-ticket?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.