Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Meal service in F, SEA/SFO

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2003, 12:34 am
Original Poster

Meal service in F, SEA/SFO

I'm a NW Plat, flying my first segments on AS in about 2 weeks (hoping for the front of the bus). Is there meal service in F on the SEA/SFO segments? If so, how does it compare to NW. My SEA/SFO departs around 10 a.m. My SFO/SEA departs around 5 p.m.
TIA
Old Nov 3, 2003, 2:00 am
Original Member

Programs: AAdvantage EXP/1mm/Admirals,United Silver+Club (life),Marriott Titanium,Hilton & Accor Gold
I'm not a big fan of Alaska's meal service on these flights. I don't expect a grand meal service on a flight of this length, but something of a little higher quality would be nice. They don't measure up very well against meals served by Continental or Northwest. I've really enjoyed Northwest's F meal service lately.

Alaska meals I've had most frequently on PDX/SEA to/from SFO/SJC/OAK:

Breakfast
warmed scone or muffin with a small fruit plate of fair quality.

Lunch
sandwich consisting of bad bread and meager contents or salad of fair quality topped with chicken.

I'm flying out of SFO again later this week. I'll post an update when I return.
Old Nov 3, 2003, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bar Alliance Gold
Check the Alaska forum on www.airlinemeals.net.

Also, one of our fellow AS-flying FTers published a page with pics of tons of recent AS meals served on their flights systemwide. Try a search in this forum and the Trip Reports forum.
Old Nov 3, 2003, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
That would be moi.

Alaska Airlines has earned a pretty good reputation for its inflight meal service. I've put together a collection of photos of everything from salads to entrees to desserts. If you click on any one photo, you'll also get information re. what route and in what month it was served. I put the date in there only because it might make for interesting comparison if AS should ever cut back or improve their First Class meal offerings.

You can check the photos out at this link

The email address is [email protected]

The password is highflyer
Old Nov 3, 2003, 12:46 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Elevate, AAdvantage, Mileage Plus
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by TransWorldOne:
I'm not a big fan of Alaska's meal service on these flights. I don't expect a grand meal service on a flight of this length, but something of a little higher quality would be nice. They don't measure up very well against meals served by Continental or Northwest.</font>
As of the current schedule, Alaska appers to offer at least a snack service in F on all SFO-SEA flights. The only SEA-SFO flight that wouldn't offer a light meal/snack is the mid-afternoon one. This is certainly more than can be said for the competition, UA, so its difficult to criticize Alaska's service. As it is, most US airlines no longer offer any meal service on 90 minute flights.

Flights departing between 6-10:30 AM receive a fruit plate and a warm scone or muffin. 10:30-1:30 and 4:00-7 PM departs receive a choice between a sandwich or a salad with a warm roll. I always pick the salad. I believe 7-9 PM receives a snack plate (e.g. fruit/cheese/crackers, bread/crackers and dip). I'll have to check on that at some point.
Old Nov 3, 2003, 1:30 pm

I guess I have nothing to add... I like the sandwiches served on Alaska -- I don't think that it is that bad... I am not a big fan of salad, so I actually goes for sandwich at most times. But if you are hungry, the salad is definitely more heartier than the sandwich with warmed roll. For dessert, there is always the Ghiradelli's chocolate square.

To be honest, it is really great that AS keeps the meal services on these short flights -- UA has cut the meals even out of F for a while on SEA-SFO...

On off meal hours, warmed mixed nuts may be served as well as a snack item.

Carfield
Old Nov 3, 2003, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by EIPremier:
I believe 7-9 PM receives a snack plate (e.g. fruit/cheese/crackers, bread/crackers and dip). I'll have to check on that at some point.</font>
I was on a published snack flight (approx. 830p SEA/SFO) a week ago, there was no snack, the FA took 1/2 hr to get off her rear after departure (no turbulence), did a beverage service with an immediate re-check (before anyone really had much time to drink anything), sat her rear back down, and read, until the seatbelt sign came on prior to landing.

Old Nov 3, 2003, 5:07 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. I'm pleased that there is a meal service (even pix, thanks, Seat2A) on a short flight, and even more pleased that it's more appetizing than not.
Old Nov 3, 2003, 6:46 pm

Please send a note to the company. Most of us try harder than this person and I, for one, resent a person like this that brings down the rest of us.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Eastbay1K:
I was on a published snack flight (approx. 830p SEA/SFO) a week ago, there was no snack, the FA took 1/2 hr to get off her rear after departure (no turbulence), did a beverage service with an immediate re-check (before anyone really had much time to drink anything), sat her rear back down, and read, until the seatbelt sign came on prior to landing.

</font>
Old Nov 3, 2003, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I cannot believe my great timing that I get to follow that unfortunate example by saying that the FC FA on my latest AS flight was the epitome of customer service - he was amazing in action!

Thx AS Flyer for reminding me to contact AS on his behalf.

Returning to the previous example ... I would have asked the FA where the snack "went"? We've all read the posts regarding "unavailable" drink service on short flights on other carriers; however, I'd think to "neglect" to serve a snack that had been duly catered is something one could not hide? Had it not been catered I would think that there would have been an an apology announced.

[This message has been edited by Points Scrounger (edited 11-03-2003).]
Old Nov 3, 2003, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by AS Flyer:
Please send a note to the company. Most of us try harder than this person and I, for one, resent a person like this that brings down the rest of us.

</font>
Actually, the AM flight had just superb service, and the PM flight was one of the worst. I emailed Jeff Butler, who was going to send complimentary letters to the morning crew and get the supervisor of the 'A' involved on the sour flight.

For somewhat subpar service I don't think its worth the effort to complain, and everyone has a bad day. But this was the worst of 60+ segments this year, by far. I even commented to my travelling companion "I bet the snacks are in the galley and she doesn't even want to serve them!"
Old Nov 7, 2003, 10:51 pm

Programs: Amtrak (AGR) Select, AA Plat, DL Gold, Shangri-La Golden Circle Jade, HHonors Silver, BonVoy Gold
On a related topic:

Has anyone ever received the advertised "snack" in F on AS 111 OAK-SEA (the 7.37 PM departure)? If so, is it the cheese plate?

I am continually amazed at the near-lack of meals in F on US domestic flights (gotta love those 4-hr SEA-DTW and MSP-SEA's on NW with no food at all, and those aren't even redeyes) and agree with above posters that AS does a better job than others on its relatively short West Coast segments. But consider that MH serves a lovely hot snack in F on its 38-min. SIN-KUL shuttle! Oh well, I will be semipermanently moving to SIN and can't wait to experience F/J short-haul service the way it should be...
Old Nov 7, 2003, 11:34 pm

Consider also that MH is government funded (on a constant and regular basis) and staffs their aircraft far above FAA minimum requirements. Also consider that airfares in Malaysia are not cheap like they are here in the U.S.
Old Nov 8, 2003, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by AS Flyer:
Consider also that MH is government funded (on a constant and regular basis) and staffs their aircraft far above FAA minimum requirements. Also consider that airfares in Malaysia are not cheap like they are here in the U.S.</font>
The rt coach fare for KUL-SIN is currently $116 on MH. I'd consider that cheap compared to US routes (like SEA-PDX).

Your point about government funding is a good one. But US airlines are also government funded (through recent loan guarantee programs, government funded airport improvements, etc.) - just not to the degree of some foreign flagship carriers.

I'd say it's strictly a competitive issue. All other carriers offer food on that flight, so MH has to do so to compete. Contrast that with the AS competition for the SEA-SFO run - you're lucky to get peanuts on UA in first.

Old Nov 9, 2003, 9:27 pm
Original Member

Programs: AAdvantage EXP/1mm/Admirals,United Silver+Club (life),Marriott Titanium,Hilton & Accor Gold
1- I love flying SIN-KUL-SIN in F! I usually fly SQ to KUL and MH to SIN. Raiding the lounges is loads of fun-- there's nothing better than complimentary great champagne and cognac!

2- I've just completed some Bay Area to/from Pacific Northwest flights.

SFO-SEA - Really bad salad with chicken. Yuk.

SEA-SJC - Marginal scone/small fruit plate.

OAK-PDX - (mid-afternoon, non-meal flight) Warm nuts & warm service. Excellent service from a very professional flight attendant.

PDX-SFO - Really good dinner-time snack. Grilled chicken (very small portion) and onions on bun with succotash-inspired rice dish (instead of kernels of corn, lima beans, and tomatoes it was kernels of corn, onions, and rice nicely seasoned). Excellent inflight service from a very professional flight attendant (again!). The only negative was arriving at a gate in the international terminal.

I was very pleasantly surprised by the last flight. The snack was excellent.

------------------
"We will not cut benefits from OnePass, our industry-leading frequent flyer program, because we remain committed to rewarding our most loyal customers."

-- Gordon Bethune (Continental's CEO) two weeks before significantly cutting benefits of the OnePass program

[This message has been edited by TransWorldOne (edited 11-09-2003).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.