Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Have to take off shoes; but fireworks OK?

Old Jul 4, 2003, 6:44 pm
In memoriam
Original Poster

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood

Not sure everybody heard the story on yesterday's SEA-MCO flight where the 12 year old "saved" a man from setting off fireworks on their flight. Seems the man in question got on the flight in Missoula then transferred in SEA for the flight to MCO. Nobody at the TSA had comments on last night's news.
Old Jul 4, 2003, 8:23 pm

Programs: Starwood Platinum; Marriot Rewards Silver; Alaska Air Miles
It does seem a little strange. They actually took the liner out of my shoes in YVR when I flew a few weeks ago.

I did hear them say there might be delays because people might get gunpowder residue on themselves from fireworks.
Old Jul 4, 2003, 8:25 pm

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/...earrest04.html
Old Jul 4, 2003, 8:38 pm

Programs: WN CP, AA
Tulsa - An Alaska Air flight from Seattle was diverted to Tulsa Thursday afternoon after a passenger brought fireworks and a knife on board.

The 737 left Seattle Thursday morning at 8:45 a.m. on its way to Orlando, Florida when it was diverted to Tulsa International Airport, where it landed shortly after two o'clock.

We're told the passenger, 38-year-old William Herbert Fritz, was removed from the plane and was in the custody of the FBI. Fireworks, cherry bombs, CO-2 cartridges and a Swiss Army knife were found in the passenger's carry-on bag, strangely enough by a passenger who was going through the man's bags.

Ken Miller, Director of Operations at Tulsa International Airport, says the passenger alerted a flight attendant to the items and the flight attendant told the pilot, who immediately requested the plane be diverted to Tulsa International Airport.

Jack Walsh, a spokesman for Alaska Airlines says the plane was carrying 165 passengers on a non-stop flight and that the passengers were evacuated from the plane after it landed safely in Tulsa.

Old Jul 5, 2003, 12:59 am

Time to start killing morons...

No, seriously, let's hope that this idjit gets fined the cost of the diversion, the security needed to "handle" this mess as well as the cost of any "inconveniences" to all pax on this flight. Also, toss in the cost to AS and their crew. Finish it off with a nice 5 year jail term and then for finishers, fire the TSA morons that let this complete nimrod through.

Dumb, dumb, dumb.
Old Jul 5, 2003, 1:51 am

Programs: Starwood Platinum; Marriot Rewards Silver; Alaska Air Miles
I agree about the TSA. It looked to me like Seattle had fool proof security when I was there before and watching everyone taking off their shoes and some having their bags searched.

I'd like to know how he got all this stuff through the metal detectors. Guess whoever was watching the XRAY machine that day was asleep at the switch. Luckily someone was rifling through the guys bag on the plane...

Wonder if the anything will happen to the kid that was going through his bag.
Old Jul 5, 2003, 2:06 am
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Clarence Iba:

were found in the passenger's carry-on bag, strangely enough by a passenger who was going through the man's bags.

</font>

Old Jul 5, 2003, 8:49 am
Original Member

Programs: United Premier 1K, American AAdvantage Gold
Two weeks ago, at SeaTac, following intensive security and interminable ID checks, we had to delay the departure of a Newark flight in order to remove a family of FIVE, who had boarded by mistake. Seems they were supposed to go to LAX on a flight next door to our gate. So much for "enhanced" security.
Old Jul 5, 2003, 9:23 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by deelmakur:
Two weeks ago, at SeaTac, following intensive security and interminable ID checks, we had to delay the departure of a Newark flight in order to remove a family of FIVE, who had boarded by mistake. Seems they were supposed to go to LAX on a flight next door to our gate. So much for "enhanced" security.</font>
I am not sure how this happens and it has actually happened to me, I got on a Palm Springs flight sat in 2A and five minutes later a guy gets boards and says I am in his seat, and I was because I was on the wrong plane. Now granted 95% of the problem was that I was not paying attention and went through the wrong door but I thought the whole point of the gate agents looking passengers in at the jetway was so that they know who is on and who is not on the plane and it seems like when I walked to the door somebody should have said, your name is not on the list of passengers who have tickets for this flight, we should have a look at that, rather than "Thank you Mr. BigKing"

Old Jul 5, 2003, 9:27 am

&lt;&lt;I agree about the TSA. It looked to me like Seattle had fool proof security when I was there before and watching everyone taking off their shoes and some having their bags searched. &gt;&gt;

The TSA failure occured in Missoula not Seattle.
Old Jul 7, 2003, 5:31 pm

I've been trying to find out what the break-down was in Missoula, but the local paper ("Daily Missoulian") has not written 1 word about this, as far as I can tell from its website.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.