Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

First Class Availability (Seats not releasing?)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2003, 9:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, AA PlatPro, Hilton DM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC, National EE

Since I just ran across a good seat availability tool: http://www.cs.haifa.ac.il/~shuly/flight.html

I decided to check a trip I have on Sunday (three days from now) for first class availability. I've been on the first class wait list (MVP Gold) since I booked the ticket.

I was surprised to find at least 7 open seats in first class. I called Alaska and they said "yes, there are lots of seats available, but they haven't been released to upgrades yet. The yield folks haven't released them yet." She then went on to say that they were hoping to sell the seats.

I've never had this problem before, and I guess I just don't know how this works. Why would they hold so many seats in first class with only three days to go?
Old Mar 27, 2003, 11:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
First, seatmaps don't always reflect sold/reserved space. (There may be unassigned, yet reserved space believe it or not). You may find that 48 hours out things open up.
Old Mar 28, 2003, 5:33 am
Original Member

Programs: United Premier 1K, American AAdvantage Gold
See my comment on the "Pricing BOS-SAN" thread. I am convinced they are discovering that the yield management tools that work OK for what is largely a low fare, quick turn, linear (North/South) system, don't do as well, as they go into more longer haul services. My bet is the whole thing is being looked at, which might be what is causing what you are seeing.
Old Mar 28, 2003, 6:23 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AS Lounge
I was pricing SEA-MCO roundtrips for two for next fall and was surprised to not be able to get those pretty little gold diamonds both ways. Golds can get on the waitlist, but those of us (only MVP) who rely on redemptive upgrades for upgrades on transcons are out of luck. It does seem that they are changing their approach. I hope it works for them. For me, it's not worth paying a lot more for AS coach (a little more, yes, but not a lot more.)
Old Mar 28, 2003, 10:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, AA PlatPro, Hilton DM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC, National EE
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Eastbay1K:
First, seatmaps don't always reflect sold/reserved space. (There may be unassigned, yet reserved space believe it or not). You may find that 48 hours out things open up.</font>
Understood. While the seat maps still show 7 free spots (and yes, it's now 48 hours out) I didn't specifically ask the CSR if there were 7 still available. She did say there were 'lots' available. Those seats just hadn't been released yet by yield management.
Old Mar 29, 2003, 2:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K 3 Million/ex-many year GS, AA PLT/2 Mil, AS MVPG, HH Dia, Starwood Life Plat, Hertz PC
Not sure what city you're looking at but remember that this time of year is spring break which can lead to very high loads in coach. This can force last minute business travelers to purchase F just to fly - even when their normal restrictions require them to purchase coach. If you are looking at a market at the start or end of a spring break week you may well see odd things as the airlines try to take advantage of the situation.
Old Mar 29, 2003, 3:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: Ephesians 4:31-32
I used to just bag the flight if there was no first class space available at the time of booking--I still might. I did discover, however, at the MVP Gold luncheon that they release seats based on projected loads and that Golds will often be upgraded as the date of their flight grows nearer.

My son, who currently has no AS status flew to LAX last week upgraded, but could not upgrade on his return which is this afternoon. I called this morning and was able to upgrade both him and his girlfriend. Actually there was more upgrade space available, but he only has two certs with him so the rest of the party will be in coach.
Old Mar 30, 2003, 11:59 am

Programs: AS MVP, DL Silv
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by bworrell:
Since I just ran across a good seat availability tool: http://www.cs.haifa.ac.il/~shuly/flight.html
</font>
Excellent link! Bookmarked for future reference...
Old Mar 30, 2003, 7:00 pm

I remember last year, maybe around this time, we were looking at IAD-SEA flights in November. Pricing as 2 people, we (both Golds) couldn't get the DCA flights or the morning eastbound or evening westbound to pull up gold stars. I started playing with the website with the number of passengers traveling, and basically I figured out that only 1 seat was allocated to Gold upgraders on those flights (1,2,3,4) for 5 days out of a week (IIRC). So we bought our tix and had them upgrade my wife while I waitlisted... and of course cleared months out. I wouldn't be surprised if this is still the case, where the default is 1 available upgrade seat for several months in advance...
Old Apr 4, 2003, 8:02 pm

Programs: AS MVP, DL Silv
I'd been waitlisted for U on the PVR-SEA nonstop in April for the last couple of months.... They finally cleared approx 60 hours prior to departure; had been holding back 3 F seats for revenue.

So question for MVP/G's: What is your overall success ratio when waitilisting U space. If you have higher (or lower) success ratios on certain routes, let's hear 'em!

Overall my success ratio on clearing waitlisted U is &gt; 80%.

-Steve
Old Apr 4, 2003, 10:29 pm
Original Poster

I think some of you are right... It seems that they released a bunch of these seats to paid upgrades instead of MVP Gold upgrades. I ended up getting one of the last seats in first class by calling about 8 hours before the flight. It never automatically took me from the wait list, for some reason I had to call first. The lady I was seated next to (one of the seats that showed as free for the longest time) was travelling on a paid upgrade.
Old Apr 4, 2003, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If the paid upgrades come out of "A" inventory, I've never seen more "A" than "U" - A is equal or less than U.
Old Apr 5, 2003, 1:14 am

Once you pass the 24 hour prior to departure mark, waitlists no longer clear by themselves..that's why it's a good idea to call if you are still waitlisted the day before the flight.
Old Apr 5, 2003, 11:36 am
travelalot5

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Eastbay1K:
If the paid upgrades come out of "A" inventory, I've never seen more "A" than "U" - A is equal or less than U. </font>

Paid upgrades come from U. Mileage upgrades come from A. Full fare first is F.

Old Apr 5, 2003, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by travelalot5:

Paid upgrades come from U. Mileage upgrades come from A. Full fare first is F.
</font>

Then the Paid and Gold are from the same pot.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.