Wiki Posts
Search

AS Considering Airbus Equipment

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2003, 1:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BW Diamond, Choice Plat, National Exec Elite
AS Considering Airbus Equipment

I guess what goes around comes around, right? If Boeing couldn't be loyal to Seattle, why should a Seattle company be loyal to Boeing?

http://biz.yahoo.com/rc/030110/airli..._airbus_2.html

From the article:

"Still several months away from a decision on phasing out its 40 older Boeing 737-200 and MD-80 narrow-body jetliners, Alaska executives are asking for sale and lease prices on Airbus A320 family jets as well as updated 737-800s and -900s."

The article also points out that AS is considering the possibility of buying or leasing some of the used aircraft sitting in the deserts of Arizona.

Looks like the gang in SEA is playing it very smart. Personally, I prefer the wider cabin of the A320 over the 737. Now if they'd just start CLE service....

Old Jan 10, 2003, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bar Alliance Gold
I also prefer Airbus narrowbodies, but I would be very surprised if Alaska chose the A3xx over the NextGen 737.

Alaska is currently a "two-fleet" operator with their MD-80s, so replacing them with Airbus would not be a hardship in terms of maintenance and such.

But if they stick with NG 737s (eventually phasing out their 737-400 fleet) will allow them to standardize their maintenance practices and lower costs.

The 737-700 seems to be a very good plane for AS' long-haul and lower volume routes, with their 737-900s handling the high volume routes up and down the West Coast.

Not sure what the 737-800 would offer, as it only flies about 200 miles farther and carries 15 less people.

I expect this is just a ploy to get Boeing to offer a little better deal. Not sure how many NG 737s have been sent to the desert (did Southwest defer any deliveries?), but probably not to cover the 41 MD-80s and 737-200s currently in AS service.
Old Jan 10, 2003, 4:01 pm

Airbus may be a answer for the repairs need on the 737-700's & 900's. In the last 2 weeks I have had three, one hour plus on the new 737's.
-Picking my son up on a SEA-GEG 700, seal leaking in the rear.
-SEA-PHX 900 a ECC program was wrong, had to reprogram computer chip for motor.
-PHX-SEA 900 was late getting in due to repair in SEA.
Old Jan 10, 2003, 4:20 pm

If the Euro keeps on climbing (currently at 1.05), airbus planes are going to cost more. It was not that long ago that the Euro was at 0.88.
Old Jan 10, 2003, 11:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BW Diamond, Choice Plat, National Exec Elite
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by zz7777zz:
Airbus may be a answer for the repairs need on the 737-700's & 900's. In the last 2 weeks I have had three, one hour plus on the new 737's.
-Picking my son up on a SEA-GEG 700, seal leaking in the rear.
-SEA-PHX 900 a ECC program was wrong, had to reprogram computer chip for motor.
-PHX-SEA 900 was late getting in due to repair in SEA.
</font>

Y'know, I wondered if it was just me. I haven't had the pleasure of flying AS this year, but my last two flights on brand new CO -900's were delayed by mechanicals, one was an air return, fire trucks and all! Both times, the pilots told us that the planes were brand new....

Old Jan 11, 2003, 10:41 am

Last summer we had an event when the brakes on our 739 "locked up" on landing at SNA. Caused quite a jolt. But other than that, on maybe 20 flights on both -700's and -900's, I've experienced no mechanical delays. All in all, I've been very impressed with these new generation aircraft.

That said, I have also enjoyed B6's A320 service to JFK and back and forth to ROC. Very clean, quiet aircraft with great IFE.

While all this may just be posturing on behalf of AS, I would have no problem flying either manufacturer and will be delighted when the MD-80's are finally parked in the desert.

Anyone know if Airbus has a combi type of aircraft to replace the older 737-200's?

[This message has been edited by cethen (edited 01-11-2003).]
Old Jan 11, 2003, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by cethen:
Anyone know if Airbus has a combi type of aircraft to replace the older 737-200's?</font>
I do not think the Airbus is capable of combi-operation, though it can use palatized cargo which helps speed load/unload.

Boeing has created a combi model of the 737-700 to replace the 737-200 combi.

Old Jan 12, 2003, 6:14 pm

Programs: Whatever will get me out of Y and into C or F!
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by cethen:

Anyone know if Airbus has a combi type of aircraft to replace the older 737-200's?

</font>
Well, they do have one model that could be modified, I suppose:

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/272760/M/
Old Jan 12, 2003, 6:22 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Elevate, AAdvantage, Mileage Plus
Hmmm...I'd like to see that "thing" land or takeoff from Dutch Harbor
Old Jan 15, 2003, 3:58 pm

I too wouldn't mind the wider, more comfortable seating available on the A32x series, but if people on this thread are think it's a fix for some minor teething problems of the 737NG, then they are in for a big surprise. The A32x's are all electronic and have numerous glitches that Airbus still hasn't fixed, despite being in service for many years. Following is a link to an article on JetBlue's maintainence hassles. Some quotes

"It's an airplane that has a lot of spurious faults, and you have to reset a lot of the avionics systems,"

"JetBlue maintenance managers admit, however, that the fly-by-wire A320 has given them more maintenance challenges than they would have had with a mechanically driven 737. "

"JetBlue's number-one problem with the A320 is sticky flow-control air conditioning valves: "They fail to open on the first flight of the day." There also are "constant electrical problems," often due to pins that do not make proper connections in electrical connector boxes. "

hmm, how would the first flight of the day out of Phoenix in the summer be like without airconditioning?

http://www.aviationnow.com/avnow/new...om1202JBlu.xml

Old Jan 15, 2003, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
re. those A320s...

The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence.

Of course, I'm really only dreaming here but if Alaska should go down to that big used plane lot in the desert, I'd hope they might consider a 757 or two. If nothing else, it sure would look good in Alaska's colors. Maybe even a summer lease of a 767-300 for the high volume routes...

Old Jan 15, 2003, 5:49 pm

Dumb stupid loyalist ol' me...I hope AS stays in Boeing metal. I like the few A319 & 320's I've been on, they're pretty comfortable, but I've also grown accustomed to an all Boeing fleet at AS.

Sentiment aside, a new mfr. means a whole new set of newly trained mechs, parts and headaches...would it really be worth it, or is AS doing this to put a little heat on the Boeing price tags?
Old Jan 16, 2003, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I cannot see Alaska taking on any used 757-200s. They only carry about 30 more folks than the 737-900. The 757-300 carries about 250 in a 2-class, but, again, there would be maintenance and crew-training issues (oh for the common cockpit across all aircraft type like post-A310 Airbus aircraft).

And yes, I expect Alaska is just "keeping Boeing honest". Boeing just signed a deal for 737-800's with Virgin Blue today (a win over Airbus), so I believe AS and BA will come to terms and 737NGs will form the AS fleet.

I think JetBlue and EasyJet are going to be the anomolies, as Airbus can only lose so much per plane, per order, to land wins.
Old Jan 16, 2003, 11:31 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
EIPremier, the landing at Dutch wouldn't be the problem, but stopping and taxiing would be.
Old Jan 16, 2003, 4:53 pm

Programs: FlyingBlue Silver; Air Canada 25K; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Lifetime Platinum
If that's not the ugliest darn thing I ever did see.... http://www.airliners.net/open.file/272760/M/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.