"Insanity" at IAD this morning

Old Sep 1, 2002, 4:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Jumbo mas
"Insanity" at IAD this morning

Can you believe that 4 people from the F cabin of 12 that just flew SEA/IAD (redeye) went to the counter at IAD to check in for the return as soon as we walked off the plane? I'm surprised that there weren't people from the asylum to take us away. One of the guys, unfortunately, booked his return from DCA and is hurrying about on a cab to there right now.
Old Sep 1, 2002, 5:46 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Hyatt Explorist, UA 1MM
Eastbay, I know your red-eye will get you a status bonus, but what about the double miles promo that runs 9-3 to 10-31? Would you be able to score both? P.S. Outside of Dulles today for a family gathering.
Old Sep 1, 2002, 2:15 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
would that be webspecial-double miles and mvpgold qualifying crowd?

If my friend had bagged my weekend plans in DC, I would have happily booked a iad-geg webspecial for saturday and gotten some more miles.

lala
Old Sep 1, 2002, 6:30 pm

Programs: Hilton Platinum, Alaska MVP Gold
While allowed presently, this kind of crap prevents many of us others from legitimately sitting in first class or whatever.

With all the cutbacks Alaska is doing, this should be the first such cutback. Just my opinion, but this just clogs up first and the various preferred statuses.

Then there is the time element. If these people have so much darn time on their hands then they obviously have no friends or family that cares about them.
Old Sep 1, 2002, 7:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: Ephesians 4:31-32
Webtraveler, I am confused by your post.

This is just a simple mileage run. What is wrong with MVP Golds snagging these seats in first if they are available?
Old Sep 1, 2002, 8:09 pm

Programs: Hilton Platinum, Alaska MVP Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Punki:
Webtraveler, I am confused by your post.

This is just a simple mileage run. What is wrong with MVP Golds snagging these seats in first if they are available?
</font>
This stuff abuses the system. I doubt that airlines ever intended to create this kind of deal breaking benefit. In the end, because of these abuses airlines clamp down on all kinds of things - and the legitimate traveler often gets screwed.

[This message has been edited by WebTraveler (edited 09-01-2002).]
Old Sep 1, 2002, 8:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: Ephesians 4:31-32
I still fail to see what is "illegitimate" about MVPs or MVP Golds grabbing a special weekend run to complete their status for the next year.

The plane had to be running pretty empty or they wouldn't have run the special to begin with. I would think that AS would be thrilled to sell these seats.
Old Sep 1, 2002, 10:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Jumbo mas
Oh geez. Anyway, it was a good example of how much revenue AS (or another airline) gets for seats that would have gone empty, the seats we "took" were F seats that were available just a couple days out before travel, ie, they would have not been filled by revenue pax no matter what, the meal services were not a particularly high cost item for the airline (that's another subject altogether, and I would say the F product reflects the fact that it is essentially being "given away"), and the fares were higher than the cheapest fares on JetBlue and such anyway - just on the 4 of us there was about $1000 in the airline's pocket - on just this one flight pair on this one particular day - and there could have even been more of us. None of us squeezed a high rev passenger out of a seat. And yes, none of us had really much going on Sat and Sun. One guy had a date later Sunday eve, I had met a friend in the connecting city for a couple hours and have plans with another friend on Monday. So we have "lives" - but that's really not relevant. If I choose to spend my night and day meeting people (as the case turned out this time) while flying around the US of A, eating marginal food and refreshing beverages served by generally friendly folk, goodie for me.

Now, webtraveler. abundant with a coruncopia of friends and family on this holiday weekend, has put them aside for awhile to go to FT and comment about the lack of fullness of my life and for that I am so grateful. I at times know not what is absent from this life of mine until I read FT.

Back on point, unfortunately we all missed the double miles deal. But it was a rare sat/sun webfare situation because of the holiday weekend. And we all want to be MVP Gold for next year and this was a great opportunity to get a lot of qualifying miles for about $300, and not needing to spend $ on hotel or really anything else.
Old Sep 1, 2002, 10:57 pm

Eastbay-

If its any consolation, I don't think you are an abnormal, friendless abuser of the airline industry! In fact, your mileage run sounds a lot more civilized than the way I spent TU/WED (8 segments SFO-BNA-SFO!).
Old Sep 2, 2002, 12:46 am
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
Just out of curiosity WebTraveler, were you on this flight and did NOT get a F seat?

If not, then stop complaining! What Ebay did is not an abuse of the system in the least and hardly caused AS any great pains imo. As far as stating that people who do this must not have a life. . .wow. .. must be a very nice view from that high and mighty perch you're sitting on. . .

Old Sep 2, 2002, 12:48 am

As an employee of Alaska Airlines, I am happy that you came with us. And if we were able to supply you with a cushy First Class seat, all the better. We appreciate your business, and rest assured that Alaska won't be making changes to make sure you can't make a mileage run every now and then. Heck, I think those E-fares were meant for that. Eastbay 1K - I hope we treated you well and you enjoyed your trip.
Old Sep 2, 2002, 2:32 am
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by WebTraveler:
While allowed presently, this kind of crap prevents many of us others from legitimately sitting in first class </font>
What exactly does "legitimately" mean? How have you "legitimately" been denied First class?

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">or whatever..</font>
?????

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">With all the cutbacks Alaska is doing, this should be the first such cutback. Just my opinion, but this just clogs up first and the various preferred statuses.</font>
Cutback what? Webfares? And this would serve what purpose?

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Then there is the time element. If these people have so much darn time on their hands then they obviously have no friends or family that cares about them.</font>
Just plain RUDE!!

[This message has been edited by missydarlin (edited 09-02-2002).]
Old Sep 2, 2002, 10:34 am

Thank you AS flyer and missydarlin for showing us that not only does Alaska hire nice people, but real people who unafraid to stand up to unnecessary rudeness.
Thank you Eastbay for a fun mileage run report.
Old Sep 2, 2002, 2:00 pm
Used to be Sydneysider

Programs: AS MVP/Gold (and 75K aspirant)
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by WebTraveler:
With all the cutbacks Alaska is doing...</font>
speaking of cutbacks, try cutting back on the bullsh*t.

i think someone is a jealous MVP or non elite. cry some more, little baby, maybe they'll let you into first class next time.
Old Sep 2, 2002, 2:38 pm

What boggles my mind is that those 4 F passengers hadn't already checked in for their return through web check-in! 500 miles down the drain!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.