Search

SNA-YVR discontinued after one day

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2002, 11:37 am
Original Poster

SNA-YVR discontinued after one day

http://alaskasworld.com/NEWS/2002/05...VR_stopped.asp

Old May 2, 2002, 11:50 am

Come on Sean, the title of the thread is misleading, the route is not discontinued, its suspended until May 5th or until AS/SNA get their INS/customs issues figured out.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Alaska Airlines is temporarily discontinuing its brand new nonstop service between Orange County and Vancouver while it works to resolve compliance issues related to Customs and INS procedures. Inaugurated this past weekend, Alaska is suspending operations in the market through this Sunday, May 5. </font>
Old May 2, 2002, 12:43 pm
Original Poster

My intention is not to mislead, but rather to draw attention to the complete comedy of errors that led to this situation!
Old May 2, 2002, 7:18 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by B747-437B:
My intention is not to mislead, but rather to draw attention to the complete comedy of errors that led to this situation! </font>

C'mon, now...you knew perfectly well how the title of your post would be received. Your intention was and is to mislead everyone and put Alaska Airlines in a bad light.

Poor form, my friend.
Old May 2, 2002, 7:30 pm
das

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Snowdevil:

C'mon, now...you knew perfectly well how the title of your post would be received. Your intention was and is to mislead everyone and put Alaska Airlines in a bad light.

Poor form, my friend.
</font>
Well it seems like Alaska was completely incompetent. And I would also say the management of SNA was also completely incompetent.
Old May 3, 2002, 12:05 am

From a practical standpoint, since I expect it'll be back soon, what was the schedule? Did they price it at a premium to the service from LAX? (Given an opportunity to avoid the security circus at LAX these days, I'd drive to SNA, but it does seem to command higher prices. Wealthier clientele, I guess)
Old May 3, 2002, 12:42 am

Programs: AA Plat, Alaska MVP, HHonors Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite, UA Kettle
I just want to point out that Alaska's article itself says the route is "discontinued", abliet "temporarily discontinued".

-Robert
Old May 3, 2002, 4:53 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Elevate, AAdvantage, Mileage Plus
Somehow, me thinks we're not getting the full story here...
Old May 6, 2002, 9:58 am
Moderator, SkyTeam and Germany

Programs: BA, LH, KL, EY, IHG, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, Radisson
Is this for real? I can't believe that...

justplanes.com reports:

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">AS was forced to suspend its brand new service from Vancouver to Orange County as it was preparing to open this new route earlier this week when the airline realized there was no Customs facility in Orange County.</font>
Old May 6, 2002, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Quite true about lack of customs facilities at SNA. If you look at various airports at this site, you'll see that small little airports like Bellingham WA, Burlington VT, Sitka and Ketchikan AK are "customs landing rights airports" while mainly non-passenger airports like Boeing Field are "international airport of entry". SNA is neither of the above.

I guess AS wrongly assumed that if the passengers preclear U.S. immigration and customs in Canada, there's no need for customs facilities at the U.S. airport.
Old May 7, 2002, 2:44 pm

Programs: AA, Hilton, Hyatt
Is this route still currently suspended? I am checking flight availability later in May (May 20th and on) and the SNA to YVR flight is showing available??
Old May 7, 2002, 5:04 pm

Alaska plans to resume service on 5/11, pending all the approvals are in place.

Alaska checked with local authorities and everyone gave the service the go ahead, only once they began the service did the question of customs in SNA come up. Since passengers clear U.S. customs in Vancouver prior to departing, it was thought that customs in SNA was not required. Apparently, however, SNA must have a customs person on site in order for any type of international traffic to arrive or depart, regardless of where the passengers clear customs.
Old May 17, 2002, 12:29 am

range County-Vancouver
Nonstops will not resume at this time
Posted May 15, 2002

Alaska Airlines will not be flying nonstop this summer between Vancouver and Orange County.

U.S. Customs officials, after reviewing the airline's request to provide the seasonal service, told the airline that permission to fly between the two cities could not be granted at this time.

Although all passengers clear customs in Vancouver, there is a technical hang up that defies quick resolution: U.S. Customs does not have its own officials at Orange County. That's because the airport has never been formally designated an "international" facility. Without agents on location, Customs cannot conduct spot inspections and that makes international flights impossible. For now, anyway.

Gregg Saretsky, executive vice president of marketing and planning, said that John Wayne Airport in Orange County could apply to be so certified for international flights at a later date. "That doesn't help in the near term since this could be a lengthy process," said Saretsky. "So, we are continuing to accommodate customers by working with Horizon to provide connecting service between the two cities via Seattle and Portland and with same-plane service between Orange County and Vancouver on weekends." Meanwhile, Saretsky said airplane time freed by discontinuing the Vancouver-Orange County nonstop flying will be used to provide one more Orange County-Seattle flight, beginning June 10. That will bring the total departures between those two markets to 9 daily flights.

Alaska initiated the Vancouver-Orange County service April 28 and operated several nonstops until realizing it had made an incorrect assumption about passenger clearance in Canada permitting international arrivals and departures at Orange County; it does not.
Old May 17, 2002, 6:22 am

Programs: CebGo 5J, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Alaska 100K
I do not understand. If a pasenger passes through US Immigration and Customs in Vancouver, why is there a need in SNA? All other flights from Vancouver to the US land at domestics slots. Sounds like mindless government paper-work to me.

Plus, whenever a passenger leaves the USA, they do not pass through customs or immigration anyway (seems to me that this alone makes the issue of illegal immigration a mockery.)
Old May 17, 2002, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by davistev:
I do not understand. If a pasenger passes through US Immigration and Customs in Vancouver, why is there a need in SNA? All other flights from Vancouver to the US land at domestics slots. Sounds like mindless government paper-work to me.
</font>
Well, you got it there (bureaucracy). As I mentioned, all flights from Canada to the U.S. (or any foreign country to the U.S.) land at airports with "Customs Landing rights" or "international airport of entry". Many small airports carry this designation but not SNA.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">
Plus, whenever a passenger leaves the USA, they do not pass through customs or immigration anyway (seems to me that this alone makes the issue of illegal immigration a mockery.)
</font>
Well, the same thing can be said of Canada and now of the U.K. I guess the theory is if they want to leave, just let them!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.