Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Mileage Plan Non-Competitive with UA, AA?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2002, 12:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat

If I understand correctly from a Mileage Plan rep, effective May 1, as an MVP Gold I will no longer earn double miles even on Alaska and Horizon. By contrast, I will continue to earn double miles as a 50K member in either the UA or AA programs (and with AA, even on many oneworld carriers).

Am I missing something? If I heard things correctly, why would a top tier flyer ever want to deposit miles in the Alaska program?
Old Mar 15, 2002, 7:51 pm
Used to be Sydneysider

Programs: AS MVP/Gold (and 75K aspirant)
i think you heard incorrectly. there are some pretty crappy changes to the AS Mileage Plan effective May 1, but taking away our double miles is NOT one of them.

http://mileageplan.alaskaair.com/MVPgoldbenefits.asp

in fact, AS is more competitive when you look at the MVP (25K/year) level. UA and AA only offer a 25% mileage bonus (2P and Gold, respectively). AS offers a 50% mileage bonus.

i don't think even AS is dumb enough to take away our double miles!
Old Mar 15, 2002, 9:45 pm

You must have heard that the 50% FC bonus is going away May 1st, which it is. But bonues miles for MVPs/Golds remain from all I can tell.
Old Mar 15, 2002, 11:26 pm

Alaska still gives you the mileage bonus for First Class on paid tickets. They don't offer bonuses for those that are using free upgrades or mileage rewards. I don't think other airlines offer FC bonuses on free upgrades either.

I'm not discounting the effect these changes have on our very frequent flyers. I don't think these changes sit well with them for good reason,but I think that AS was bringing the program more in line with other major airlines programs.
Old Mar 16, 2002, 9:14 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by AS Flyer:

I think that AS was bringing the program more in line with other major airlines programs.
</font>

Why? Is AS just another sheep? Does every airline have to do the same thing as every other airline? A little more originality and a little less pack following would be nice.
Old Mar 16, 2002, 9:41 pm
Used to be Sydneysider

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by toadman:

Why? Is AS just another sheep? Does every airline have to do the same thing as every other airline? A little more originality and a little less pack following would be nice.
</font>
couldn't agree more... it was exactly the things AS is changing that set them apart as my choice of airline. the second AA metal comes back to the west coast you can bet i'll be on that. might as well be able to upgrade.
Old Mar 17, 2002, 1:38 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Alaska MVP, HHonors Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite, UA Kettle
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by AS Flyer:
...I think that AS was bringing the program more in line with other major airlines programs.</font>
I agree, it's being changed to be more like all the other programs.

The Mileage Plan was a perfect example of successful branding. It stood out among the competition in several areas. It was a clear leader, it was a "no-brainer" decision to deposit miles in the Mileage Plan.

Now there's not a whole heck of a lot to set it apart, it's no longer so far above the rest. Alaska's employees still are the best in the business, but the program is becoming just like everyone else's frequent flyer program.

Increased redemption levels and a less lucrative elite program do bring the program in line with other guest frequency programs, but they also make me question why I would keep accruing on Alaska.

I can see it from the cost savings perspective, but why mess with something that was doing so well? It was just last year that Alaska did so well in the Freddies. Following the awards, Alaska announced that many redemption levels were being increased.

Now, these new changes target the very individuals who's loyalty Alaska is so dependant on.

The Christmas cards and cookies sent to loyal flyers were certainly a nice touch, but they could almost be interrupted as an insult when combined with the new "benefits" of the MVP and MVP Gold levels.

Small gestures specifically made to thank someone for their loyalty do little to compensate for the elimination of the rewards that loyalty offered.

It will be interesting to see how Alaska does in the Freddies this year!

-Robert

(edited to correct spelling)

[This message has been edited by rwinn (edited 03-17-2002).]
Old Mar 17, 2002, 1:48 pm

I agree that Alaska has always set themselves apart by being different. That is why most people like us over other carriers. Our people are generally nicer, we serve food in markets that you typically get a bag of peanuts on anyone else. We have a large number of flights up and down the west coast - United, Southwest, nor any other carrier can compete with the number of nonstops that we have to any California destination.

The reason that Alaska changed their Frequent Flyer program, I believe, is because they were losing $$$ by not doing so. Just as when Delta airlines first cut Travel Agent commissions. They put a cap of $50 per round trip on travel agent commissions. Travel agents were screaming bloody murder, and rightly so. Several other airlines promised not to follow suit so that they could gain those travel agents business. Well, what they found out is that they were giving away the store, while almost all of their competition was not. They had a slight increase in the number of passengers flown and the revenue created by them. Meanwhile, the competitors were saving over $100 million a year because they cut the commissions, with only a very slight (and temporary at that) loss in revenue. I'm sure most of the people on this board are business men/women. In running your own businesses you have to make decisions that positively and negatively affect your customers. You make those decisions after weighing long and heavy the impact it will have on your customers. In the end you have to do what will make the best business sense to ensure the long term viability of your company. Alaska made such a decision. Alaska can't afford to give away the store anymore, not in todays competitive market place.
Old Mar 19, 2002, 11:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
Thanks for clarifying. I tried to do so with the Mileage Plan rep, who possibly wasn't up to speed with full MVP Gold program details?

Followup question: as MVP Gold (haven't actually flown AS since becoming MVP), do I earn double miles on any other metal, e.g. NW?
Old Mar 20, 2002, 6:03 am

Programs: AA Plat, Alaska MVP, HHonors Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite, UA Kettle
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Explore:
as MVP Gold (haven't actually flown AS since becoming MVP), do I earn double miles on any other metal, e.g. NW? </font>
Yes, in addition to Alaska and Horizon you also earn double miles on American, NW, and KLM.

-Robert

Old Mar 20, 2002, 7:27 pm
Used to be Sydneysider

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by rwinn:
Yes, in addition to Alaska and Horizon you also earn double miles on American, NW, and KLM.

-Robert

</font>
don't forget Lan Chile!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.