Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

150,000 mile BAFF1 Award - First Class on BA to MEL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2002, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond

I recently cashed in 150,000 miles from my Mileage Plan account towards a First Class experience between FAI and MEL

AS FAI-SEA-LAX
BA LAX-LHR-MEL-LHR-IAD
AS IAD-SEA-ANC-FAI

My AS flights show class of service as A, while my BA flights show class of service as Z.

Has anyone ever gotten one of these awards? Does this sound right? I would have expected for the BA flights at least that the fare basis would be something like NF or XF

For some reason, I'm having some phone difficulties getting out of the local calling area today and as a result am unable to reach AS. Who knows how long this may go on, probably not long, but I thought I might throw this out there if any of you have some info on this.

Thanks
Old Jan 3, 2002, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
2A,
BA books award tickets in first in "Z" class, Even when you book an award through BA using BA miles.
There have been several discussions of this on the BA forum over the years.
jerry
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum15/HTML/001027.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum15/HTML/001167.html
Old Jan 3, 2002, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Thanks, Jerry!
Old Jan 3, 2002, 6:06 pm
FOH

Programs: DL GM, UA nobody, Marriott Gold
That's certainly the long way to MEL!
Old Jan 3, 2002, 9:37 pm

You have done a great job getting your mileage/money out of this trips. Too bad you can not get FF miles for this trip. I have always thought the South Pacific mileage rates/rewards were toooo high!
Old Jan 3, 2002, 11:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Oh yeah, this trip is gonna be great!

I am definitely trying to maximize my First Class experience out of this, as well. For 15000 miles less, I could have just taken QF nonstop across the Pacific (15 hours) and experienced QF's unfortunately "hit or miss" First Class Service.

Flying First Class is not an everyday experience for me. In fact, it's been years since I flew a quality International First Class service. So, I want to get as much as I can for my miles. This routing achieves that pretty well, I think.

As for using BA, I could have just taken AS to SEA and nonstop BA to LHR out of there but this way I get an extra AS dinner flight down to LAX, a priceline hotel (Sheraton) at the airport for a very good price, and, best of all, instead of only 15hrs 10 min aboard QF's nonstop to MEL, I get to enjoy 30hrs 05min aboard BA's superior First Class service. During that 30:05, I'll enjoy three dinners and two breakfasts as well. Dinner is the meal I'm really after when I fly First Class as it generally offers the full service and best variety of canapes, appetizers and entrees.

Admittedly, you've really got to enjoy flying to choose this kind of routing. That would be me. I love every drop of the International First Class experience, from admittance to the First Class Lounge to the fine food and wine to the post flight Arrivals lounges. As well, it'll be nice to experience a true First Class service as opposed to the mockery that passes for it these days here in America.

One more thing - I get a stopover in England so I can visit with friends in Cambridge and up in Scotland.

And even one more thing - I live in a 16 X 24 cabin here in Alaska, for me a most enjoyable life but hardly the lap of luxury. So, I'm gonna truly enjoy every bit of this trip for the nice service and luxury that I don't get even on the ground. Hell, just having access to running water in the lavatory will be quite a treat!

[This message has been edited by Seat 2A (edited 01-03-2002).]
Old Jan 5, 2002, 10:29 am

Great approach to getting to MEL, I didn't even know you could do that. In my opinion BA first class makes 30 hours go by too fast, I want to stay on and keep flying. I don't know if you have stayed at the LAX Sheraton though, I would definitely not recommend it. I have found the Hilton, Westin and even the Four Points to be far better in service and room quality. The Four Points is relatively recent conversion, it is nicer than most Four Points. The times I have stayed at the Sheraton I have gotten rooms that were not well cleaned and the desk service was absolutely terrible. Just an opinion. Hope you have a great trip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.