Alaska MVP Platinum?

Old Nov 5, 2007, 10:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
125K flier treated the same as a casual 40K flier.
50,000 FF miles for flying 75K isn't exactly shabby, and if you are going 125K a year, you're 8 years away from bring MVP Gold for life at 1 million miles (assuming AS metal).
Old Nov 5, 2007, 10:38 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Well, the "casual" 40K flyer on AS might be a full-fare west coast or AK flyer that spends buckets on AS and is on the airline a few times a month and is worth much more than the transcon flyer. This has always been the dynamic in play at AS, because unlike other programs, this program was designed when the route structure was limited.

I'm trying to think of how a 1K is better off at UA than a MVPG is at AS. The 1K pays more for the RCC than the MVPG (or anyone) does for the BR. The 1K gets CR1s and 500s, the MVPG gets unlimited UGs instead of 500s, and 4 "companion upgrades" which he can use himself. (We cannot compare with SWUs or upgrade chances on widebodies, because it is a different animal). The MVPG has a similar chance of getting an UG as a 1K on a transcon 319 or 320. On the small planes, there aren't enough UG seats to go around. The MVPG gets the same mileage bonus as the 1K (double). As AS doesn't have agents that can take care of difficult issues for you within the BRs (they send you out to a CS agent), status with or without lounge access doesn't matter no matter what your tier. Since UA got rid of the 1K rooms, 1K is in the same boat as anyone with RCC access. Both get to speak with agents in North America. 1K beats 1P for waitlists, etc., but at AS, all MVPGs are in the same boat.

I just don't see that given the fleet and route structure of AS that an MVPG is much worse off than a 1K at UA. I'm sure others will differ.
Are change fees waived on other airlines? I'm still trying to figure out the benefits of AA Platinum I just achieved for flying 50K miles. Like AS, the instant upgrade fares are expensive. AS has unlimited upgrades at 72 hours on all other fares. AA you have to fly 10K miles to get 2,000 miles in upgrade certificates. Even then its a request, your not guaranteed an upgrade.

I think AS looks like a better deal.
Old Nov 5, 2007, 11:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by mattime
Are change fees waived on other airlines? I'm still trying to figure out the benefits of AA Platinum I just achieved for flying 50K miles. Like AS, the instant upgrade fares are expensive. AS has unlimited upgrades at 72 hours on all other fares. AA you have to fly 10K miles to get 2,000 miles in upgrade certificates. Even then its a request, your not guaranteed an upgrade.

I think AS looks like a better deal.
The comparisons are between MVPG and the highest tier at other airlines (one step highter than your AA Platinum).
Old Nov 6, 2007, 7:29 am

Programs: Lifetime AA Gold-1MM
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
if you are going 125K a year, you're 8 years away from bring MVP Gold for life at 1 million miles (assuming AS metal).
Just remember that the lifetime MVP Gold for 1 million miles on AS is BIS miles and doesn't include the 100% MVP Gold bonuses. Lifetime Gold on AA comes at 1 million miles from any and all sources, including bonus miles, credit cards, flowers, hotel stays, everything. 1 million BIS miles on AS is extremely tough to get.
Old Nov 6, 2007, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Just remember that the lifetime MVP Gold for 1 million miles on AS is BIS miles and doesn't include the 100% MVP Gold bonuses. Lifetime Gold on AA comes at 1 million miles from any and all sources, including bonus miles, credit cards, flowers, hotel stays, everything. 1 million BIS miles on AS is extremely tough to get
Fair enough, but the poster was talking about people who were really heavy fliers on Alaska as a super-elite, not just "casual" 40K a year MVP Golds.

FWIW, 40,000 JUST on Alaska going up and down the West Coast, SEA to Bay Area/PHX/LAX/SAN/LAS is one and a half to two trips a month (roundtrip being 1500 to just under 2000 miles). If you throw in some transcons and midcons it's less, but still... the AVERAGE person flies something like 3,000 a year or so.

My feeling is 50,000 FF mile bonuses every year are a pretty decent benefit.
Old Nov 6, 2007, 1:53 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Platinum

As discussed here, it appears that AS is not actively looking at a Platinum level any time soon. Here is what was brought up at the Gold breakfast/lunch a couple of weeks ago in ANC.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=750246
Old Nov 6, 2007, 9:21 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Marriott Platinum, AVIS First, National Emerald Club
Careful what you ask for.....

After 40k miles you are earning double miles. Introduce another layer and that benefit will take longer to achieve - perhaps no double miles until 75k.
AS is doing us a favor and is why I stay with them - quicker and more plentiful mileage accrual.

Upgrades are a perk, not a guarantee. Be glad when you get one as there are few to go around on a 737.
Old Nov 6, 2007, 9:45 pm

Hmmm... well... wasn't trying to offend anyone with the term "casual" MVPG. For short-haul road warriors, yes, it requires frequent flights. For others, crediting a half-dozen or so t-cons (or fewer partner international long-hauls) to AS MP gets you Gold quickly... not really the road warriors.

I know 40K flyers enjoy being top-tier... it is a nice benefit, and I'm not complaining because some years that's what I fly too. But if AS wants heavy fliers to keep their butts on AS, they need a program that offers a Platinum level.

Myself, I'm currently a frequent SEA-ORD flyer (plus some vacation travel)... nothing fancy. I have multiple airline choices, and with FF plans aside, AS is one of my favorites. But with AA and UA offering Exec Plat and 1K programs, I find myself often booking their flights instead of AS to take advantage of their benefits.

I'm not proposing reducing any AS Gold benefits... keep Gold as is, they've already reduced it enough in recent years. Instead, add simple benefits to Platinum such as:
  • Upgrade at 100 hour mark
  • Ability to upgrade AS250 fares
  • Four additional companion upgrades
  • Reduced/Free Board Room membership
  • Ability to upgrade Q fares at booking

Ask yourself, if you're already flying 50K - 60K miles a year, wouldn't you squeeze in a couple more AS/partner trips to reach the extra benefits of Platinum if it were 75K?

Best part, it wouldn't cost AS much... Plats would be mostly made of current MVPG's, so U space wouldn't be anymore constrained with the exception of addtional companion certs.

Just a thought... flame me if neccessary!
Old Nov 6, 2007, 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
... this program was designed when the route structure was limited.
Agreed! Program created when there was nothing longer than ANC-SEA. Now you can fly HNL-SEA-MIA. Plus, allowing partner accrual, it takes no time to reach Gold with a few international long-hauls.

I'm trying to think of how a 1K is better off at UA than a MVPG is at AS. The 1K pays more for the RCC than the MVPG (or anyone) does for the BR. The 1K gets CR1s and 500s, the MVPG gets unlimited UGs instead of 500s, and 4 "companion upgrades" which he can use himself. (We cannot compare with SWUs or upgrade chances on widebodies, because it is a different animal). The MVPG has a similar chance of getting an UG as a 1K on a transcon 319 or 320. On the small planes, there aren't enough UG seats to go around. The MVPG gets the same mileage bonus as the 1K (double). As AS doesn't have agents that can take care of difficult issues for you within the BRs (they send you out to a CS agent), status with or without lounge access doesn't matter no matter what your tier. Since UA got rid of the 1K rooms, 1K is in the same boat as anyone with RCC access. Both get to speak with agents in North America. 1K beats 1P for waitlists, etc., but at AS, all MVPGs are in the same boat.
  • More for RCC membership due to numerous location benefits. AS very limited in comparison.
  • Y+ for nearly all flights if upgrades not avail (almost like unlimited AS upgrades, but more often)
  • Upgrades and bennies on *A carriers
  • Use of *A lounges
  • Addt'l baggage allowence (nice for certain business needs)
  • Exclusive Saver Award inventory for 1K's
  • 100 hour upgrade window
  • Opportunities to earn system-wide upgrades
  • Truly priority service... versus standing at the AS CS counter because of my cancelled flight, and they closed the MVP/G line because they were "too busy" to operate the seperate line. Golds received no priority whatsoever. If flying UA as a 1K they'd already have you taken care of before you had to ask. Or worse case, head to the lounge and they'll take care of your re-booking.
I just don't see that given the fleet and route structure of AS that an MVPG is much worse off than a 1K at UA. I'm sure others will differ.
AS MVPG is a great program.... no doubt about it. Also, makes it easy to earn multiple status, since only 40K needed on AS. But they could include some addt'l Platinum benefits to encourage those who happen to fly 100K + to stay with AS versus fly their competition.
Old Mar 13, 2009, 9:37 am

Programs: Mucci (for services to Gin), VS Au, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Avis Pref+, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by BLI-Flyer
Just remember that the lifetime MVP Gold for 1 million miles on AS is BIS miles and doesn't include the 100% MVP Gold bonuses. Lifetime Gold on AA comes at 1 million miles from any and all sources, including bonus miles, credit cards, flowers, hotel stays, everything. 1 million BIS miles on AS is extremely tough to get.
Yes, even buying pudding can get you lifetime AA Gold!
Old Mar 13, 2009, 9:57 am

Wow! Nearly TEN YEARS of MVPP speculation!
Old Mar 13, 2009, 7:41 pm

Programs: CO OnePass Platinum AS MVP HHonors Diamond SPG Gold
Originally Posted by johnp012001
Wow! Nearly TEN YEARS of MVPP speculation!
I don't think AS is in any hurry to change their elite program. The only thing that may hasten that decision would be entry into one of the alliances which, again, they seem to be in no hurry to do.

As was reported from the Gold lunches there may be another "unpublished" benefit added which may be based on a combination of BIS AS miles plus YTD spend. CO has this as well. It's called CO Star and while the metrics by which one achieves this status aren't published it really doesn't come with any additional elite benefits nor does it dilute the benefits of regular elites.
Old Mar 13, 2009, 8:00 pm
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
Originally Posted by agurg
I heard from an AS agent that they are coming up with a higher level of MVP. Does anybody have any information about the benefits and level of qualification.
same rumor different day. Like I said before if they do I wont feel bad dumping AS in favor of someone else. The idea that most of those people with 100K plus miles a year are mostly on AS is obsurd. If you are getting those kinds of miles yearly obviously most of your miles arent BIS miles on a west coast based carrier like AS! Why on earth should people who fly 15K on AS and 85K on KLM be put above those on AS who fly 48K a year on AS and 0K miles per year on AA, KLM, CX, NW, DL, etc combined!!!
Old Mar 13, 2009, 8:23 pm

Programs: CO OnePass Platinum AS MVP HHonors Diamond SPG Gold
Originally Posted by ANC
same rumor different day. Like I said before if they do I wont feel bad dumping AS in favor of someone else. The idea that most of those people with 100K plus miles a year are mostly on AS is obsurd. If you are getting those kinds of miles yearly obviously most of your miles arent BIS miles on a west coast based carrier like AS! Why on earth should people who fly 15K on AS and 85K on KLM be put above those on AS who fly 48K a year on AS and 0K miles per year on AA, KLM, CX, NW, DL, etc combined!!!
If you fly 26,667 miles BIS all on AS and all in paid F you would have 40K EQM and MVPG.
Old Mar 13, 2009, 9:22 pm
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
Originally Posted by COpltASgldPHX
If you fly 26,667 miles BIS all on AS and all in paid F you would have 40K EQM and MVPG.
yes thats true but how much would you have to fly to make MVPP? someone going paid F 27K miles probably pays the same if not more than someone going 40k in Y. My point is that to get 75K or 100K miles EQM on AS you'd have to fly one heck of a lot on AS metal to have that many miles on AS metal and most likely 98% of the people who have banked that many miles a year on AS mostly likely dont even have half of them on AS metal so why should they be rewarded on AS for flying only 20K of those miles on AS while someone else flies their entire 4oK miles on AS

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.