SFO Flight Moved to SJC

Old Mar 22, 2024, 9:29 am
Original Poster

SFO Flight Moved to SJC

Got an email around 3 hours before my flight today saying AS has moved flights to SJC because they didnít want to delay flights due to ATC. Their only offers are to move or cancel the flight. Agents refuse to put me on another carrier. What are the real options here?
Old Mar 22, 2024, 9:36 am

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by olouie
Got an email around 3 hours before my flight today saying AS has moved flights to SJC because they didnít want to delay flights due to ATC. Their only offers are to move or cancel the flight. Agents refuse to put me on another carrier. What are the real options here?
If you have the time, route through SEA for the miles. 🤙🏻🍹
moondog and Intl359Widget like this.
Old Mar 22, 2024, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by anteater
lol, why am I not surprised to see this?

how confident are you that the other carrier’s SFO flight won’t also run into ATC delays?

not knowing whether SJC would even be feasible for you (even though it’s clearly not desirable), nobody here on FT can do much more than remind you of the fact that the clock is ticking on that option too
Old Mar 22, 2024, 9:43 am
Original Poster

Alaska is telling agents to say ATC required the move but the email says Alaska decided to do it to avoid delays. Too funny.

I guess at least I can make another later flight.
Old Mar 22, 2024, 9:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by anteater
The offer was sjc-pdx-sea-san. Nice miles but no thanks haha. I think I got them onto a later flights. Hopefully customer care will give compensation for the much longer and more expensive Uber ride.
Old Mar 22, 2024, 9:45 am

Programs: The opinions expressed here are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect the airlines I worked for.
Usually when they reschedule to land in (or divert mid-flight to) OAK instead of SFO, baggage services in OAK will issue an Uber code to take you to SFO. (or home if that is closer). If that wasn't provided in the email, go to SFO with enough time to get an Uber to SJC. Although if you live south of SFO on the peninsula then getting yourself to SJC will be faster of course.
Old Mar 22, 2024, 9:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by John26
Usually when they reschedule to land in (or divert mid-flight to) OAK instead of SFO, baggage services in OAK will issue an Uber code to take you to SFO. (or home if that is closer). If that wasn't provided in the email, go to SFO with enough time to get an Uber to SJC. Although if you live south of SFO on the peninsula then getting yourself to SJC will be faster of course.
I guess their email below says I can get ground transportation from SFO if I arrive 3 hours before scheduled departure time. Not ideal, but I guess worth it to not have to pay out he extra $80 ish. So annoying that AS is telling agents to just cite ATC when other airlines seem to just be taking the normal delays. I guess time to book a backup for the return trip.

"Hello ,

Unfortunately, Air Traffic Control is causing long delays at San Francisco International Airport (SFO). Rather than delay or cancel your flight, we've chosen to fly out of San Jose to save you time.

If you need ground transportation to San Jose, please arrive at the San Francisco airport three (3) hours prior to your scheduled departure time.

Once you arrive at the Airport, please see a ticket counter agent for an updated boarding pass. Due to TSA and screening requirements, you will need a new boarding pass that reflects San Jose as the departure city. We'll have agents available at both airports to help you and answer any questions you may have.

For more information, you can check the status of your flight, manage your reservation or download our mobile app.

We'll do all we can to make this as easy as possible and keep your travel on track."
Old Mar 22, 2024, 10:04 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
I guess their email below says I can get ground transportation from SFO if I arrive 3 hours before scheduled departure time. Not ideal, but I guess worth it to not have to pay out he extra $80 ish. So annoying that AS is telling agents to just cite ATC
"
Looking at the current FAA traffic delay site it shows current SFO ground delay at 75 min. due to runway construction. I assume AS decided not to build delays into their entire system for anything routed into SFO today and I don't really blame them.
moondog and anteater like this.
Old Mar 22, 2024, 10:08 am

Can you HUCA to get another carrier? You bought a ticket from SFO not SJC.
Old Mar 22, 2024, 10:08 am
Original Poster

Actually not sure if they will pay for Uber since originally I was diverted to 10:40am out of sjc but now they moved me to the 6:50pm out of sjc since I wasnít going to be able to make it in time for the new diverted flight. Still worth it to go to sfo and ask?
Old Mar 22, 2024, 10:10 am

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by jsguyrus
Looking at the current FAA traffic delay site it shows current SFO ground delay at 75 min. due to runway construction. I assume AS decided not to build delays into their entire system for anything routed into SFO today and I don't really blame them.
I recall a FT thread regarding the SFO runway construction project and was told it would be a nothing-burger. 🥲

edit

I see other flights being routed from SFO over to OAK and SJC. Definitely not an isolated incident.
ual744777sta likes this.

Last edited by anteater; Mar 22, 2024 at 10:45 am
Old Mar 22, 2024, 10:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ual744777sta
Can you HUCA to get another carrier? You bought a ticket from SFO not SJC.
I got one rep who finally was willing to try but all alternatives sold out. Only UA has first class seats left.
ual744777sta and anteater like this.
Old Mar 22, 2024, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
I guess their email below says I can get ground transportation from SFO if I arrive 3 hours before scheduled departure time.
So are they running buses again from SFO, as they did some seven or so years ago on a regular basis?
Old Mar 22, 2024, 10:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
So are they running buses again from SFO, as they did some seven or so years ago on a regular basis?
No idea. Email came around 3 hours before original departure and I couldnít make it to sfo that early anyways. I guess Iíll hope travel insurance picks up extra Uber fare since going to sfo and trying to figure this out will likely be a nightmare now that they moved me to a later flight from SJC.
Old Mar 22, 2024, 10:29 am
Original Poster

Alaska policies also make no sense. I asked to change my return 2 days from now to SJC too so I could drive and park at SJC instead of figuring out the uber mess and they flatly said no and told me to just rebook and pay the extra fare. Agents said they are not allowed to change that unless that flight is also impacted which it is not yet. Well ok then ....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.