Free Ticket

Old Mar 7, 2024, 1:59 pm
Original Poster

Free Ticket

Yesterday I called reservations to ask what the fare upcharge would be to change an existing flight already booked on a partner airline. The change would add an additional leg to the end of my return flight. The Reservations agent put me on hold and called the Partners desk, returned with a cost of about $400. I declined the change.

Today I received a notification of a complimentary upgrade to first for this additional leg I declined much to my surprise.

My reservation does now include this added leg and I cannot find any corresponding credit card charges. What are the risks of saying nothing and proceeding to take the flight? I've never heard of this happening.
Old Mar 7, 2024, 2:20 pm

Call/chat and ask them to confirm that the ticket is issued correctly, just say something like "a few days ago my reservation got changed where the extra segment was added, can you please confirm the ticket was reissued correctly and email me the updated itinerary". Don't mention if you did/did not pay for it, just simply ask if ticket was reissued and email confirmation.
NWplatinum likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2024, 2:32 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by nomiiiii
Call/chat and ask them to confirm that the ticket is issued correctly, just say something like "a few days ago my reservation got changed where the extra segment was added, can you please confirm the ticket was reissued correctly and email me the updated itinerary". Don't mention if you did/did not pay for it, just simply ask if ticket was reissued and email confirmation.
You can try this, but they'll likely come back to let you know there is an add-collect due for the additional segment. I had a very similar occurrence this week w/ an AA flight (booked via my work / Concur) that I wanted to price an upgrade for. After they came back w/ an insane amount (add'l $1100 even though first class seats were selling for $550), I declined. Looking at my reservation, a new segment for the same flight had been added, with the original in Y and the new one in F. Calling back, they indicated the eticket had been held pending the add-collect due. If I'd left it alone, I imagine I may have had issues checking in, and possibly missing out on a potential comp upgrade. Maybe OP will have different luck though!
VirtuousKangaroo likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2024, 2:54 pm
Original Poster

The risk in doing nothing is fairly small because it's the last leg of the trip and the only leg on Alaska metal, I had been planning to rent a car and drive home. I can just have a car reserved in case. I will watch and see if status changes, I have many months until the flight.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2024, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
AS’ systems may be antique, but I don’t think they routinely give away free segments. They may, however, create reservations that aren’t paid for. Had a really bad experience with that a long time ago with a cruise line created reservation on AA.

Originally Posted by MDewees
The risk in doing nothing is fairly small because it's the last leg of the trip and the only leg on Alaska metal, I had been planning to rent a car and drive home. I can just have a car reserved in case. I will watch and see if status changes, I have many months until the flight.
The concern I personally would have is that the change would prevent me from checking in for the first segment(s). Perhaps others with a better understanding of how airline systems work will be able to confirm that that isn’t a risk.

Also, welcome to Flyertalk!
kalderlake, willoL and be_rettSEA like this.
Old Mar 7, 2024, 6:53 pm

Chances are your ticket is not re-issued and you'll be refused check-in before the FIRST segment. Since it's a partner airline, I'd do all I can to avoid this, otherwise you'll likely be stuck in a foreign airport with a clueless check-in agent, trying to get through to an AS supervisor before your flight departs. Of course, there's no harm in waiting a little more, but definitely address this before your flight date.
Old Mar 7, 2024, 7:17 pm
Original Poster

Would the issue crop up at the initial check in for the outbound or just the first flight check in for the return where the extra leg occurs? Booked as a RT ticket, not two separate tickets.
Old Mar 8, 2024, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Would the issue crop up at the initial check in for the outbound or just the first flight check in for the return where the extra leg occurs? Booked as a RT ticket, not two separate tickets.

My guess is that a reservation is either properly ticketed, or it isnt.

(mostly responding to bump this thread; hopefully someone who doesn't have to use the prefix my guess is can chime in)
Old Mar 8, 2024, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My guess is if they reissued the ticket you would run into issues on the very first outbound segments check in. Personally I would want to clear things up before the trip to avoid the possibility of problems at last minute.
dayone likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2024, 6:06 pm

My bad. I didn't realize this's a roundtrip. Yes, the issue would happen at your outbound travel, not the first segment of your inbound. When the ticket is not re-issued property, you'll not be able to fly any segment attached to this ticket.
Old Mar 10, 2024, 7:15 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, UA Gold 1MM (the unfriendly sky), Marriott Gold, Hyatt Exp, Hertz no longer
With airlines, you have 2 databases, flight management which is the booking with the flight and seats that is coded with the usual 6 letters confirmation, and the business database which is the ticket (e-ticket nowadays) that contains all the fares used and the payments made (or award/upgrades used).
A leg can be added to a booking but if the ticket is not updated (reissued) then there is a mismatch that will block any changes on the booking and the check-in.
Depending on the rules of the fare, it may be at no charge, with a fee or it may not be allowed at all.

In the case of the OP, the issue will show when checking in for the first flight on this ticket.
Old Mar 11, 2024, 2:02 pm
Original Poster

Mike,
Can you think of any advance means to check this such as changing seats?

I called reservations and asked them to check the upgrade I was awarded giving the reason that I didn't think the fare class qualified for complimentary upgrade particularly an evening flight on the Sunday following Thanksgiving. Agent's answer was that fare class booked entitled me to upgrade at time of booking. I then claimed to be nervous about the booking because it is international partner and asked her to confirm all was in order, she did so.

The other possibility is that the original agent miss-spoke regarding fare, current fare including the finally added leg is now lower than the itinerary I initially booked and they just proceeded with the addition.
Old Mar 11, 2024, 6:57 pm

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by nomiiiii
This is the best advice. Just call them and confirm the ticket is and was issued correctly.

PS, with all these changes there have been some major screw ups that have happened sometimes in your favor or not in your favor. So i would caution everyone to ensure their balances and tickets are right.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.