Flying with Skis

Old Feb 16, 2024, 9:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanuim/Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Flying with Skis

Taking a flight to steamboat in a few weeks and travelling with ski equipment for the first time in a while. Has anyone had any problems with having some clothing in their ski bag and being charged extra for luggage fees.
Old Feb 16, 2024, 10:41 am
Original Member

Programs: AS 100K
Alaska has never opened my ski bag and I have wrapped clothing around the skis to protect them. As long as the bag is not stuffed, it should be OK. If you can self check you ski bag and just drop it off at the oversize, that will help. However here is their policy which you probably read:

"When it comes to packing your ski and snowboard bag, one piece of ski/snowboard equipment is defined as one pair of skis with poles or one snowboard, plus one boot/helmet bag. If your ski or snowboard equipment is checked in a bag that also contains clothing or other additional items, it will be counted as a standard checked bag, and you will need to check your boot/helmet bag as a second piece of baggage."

Also enjoy free night skiing on arrival for flying Alaska:

FREE NIGHT SKIING ON EVENING OF ARRIVAL

Fly to Steamboat (HDN) on Alaska Airlines and take advantage of free night skiing that evening. Show your boarding pass to ticket office to gain night skiing pass for arrival night. *If arrival is a Wednesday or Monday, use your free night skiing on Thursday.
Old Feb 16, 2024, 11:27 am

Programs: alaska, united, marriott, hilton
I've stuff my ski bag with tons of stuff. Usually mountaineering gear like ice axes and the like. Never an issue. Only once did i ever get any pushback and that was a SW flight out of denver. And i was just like.. well i flew southwest here and it wasn't an issue.

I've also put 2 sets of skis in a bag.. as long as its under 50 lbs they don't care
Old Feb 16, 2024, 6:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanuim/Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Do they let you check the boot bag in addition to the ski bag and count as 1 piece of luggage?
Old Feb 16, 2024, 9:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by holocker
Do they let you check the boot bag in addition to the ski bag and count as 1 piece of luggage?
Based off the notice online, yes. Been over a decade since I checked skis on AS; seem to recall using clothing to pad, and maybe having a boot bag.
Old Feb 16, 2024, 9:12 pm

Programs: Alaska MileagePlan MVP
The boot bag is a free bag. You'll have to have them print an extra tag for free at the counter––the tablets can't do that. Baggage agents at PNW airports might ask you proactively if you have a boot bag once they see your skis, but just about anywhere else, you might have to make a clearer ask.
Old Feb 17, 2024, 7:30 pm

Programs: AS 100K
when my kids were ski racing, they always carried their boots on the aircraft, loose. The philosophy was that if the luggage doesn't make it, your own boots are critical. You can rent skis.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.