Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

MAX 9 Schedule Changes, Cancelations and Equipment Swaps

MAX 9 Schedule Changes, Cancelations and Equipment Swaps

Old Jan 24, 2024, 11:03 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by Agosti
I believe most people are booking either reward tickets which are usually fully refundable before scheduled departure, or fares that can be "refunded" as credit.
Bingo. Thereís no evidence of people booking full Y, and booking away from AS for a business traveler is just common sense since this began.
Eastbay1K likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2024, 8:18 am
RJ1

Originally Posted by Agosti
I believe most people are booking either reward tickets which are usually fully refundable before scheduled departure, or fares that can be "refunded" as credit.
Yes for me... backup reward ticket booked on another carrier. Very easy, and free cancel and redeposit of the miles if the backup flight is not needed.
Old Jan 25, 2024, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
I'm surprised at the number of people that are booking refundable (likely very expensive) flights on other airlines as back-up....if I had to take one of those back-up flights, I would likely be out hundreds of dollars extra that AS isn't going to reimburse me for beyond the cost of my original AS ticket. That wouldn't be an option for me unless it's somewhere I HAD to be at a certain time which is almost never.
I bought a backup refundable AA ticket for $100 more. Even if I had to use it, the $100 would cost less than the headache of rebooking, rescheduling and cancellation fees for my accommodation and all.
notquiteaff and willoL like this.
Old Jan 25, 2024, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Beepbop
I bought a backup refundable AA ticket for $100 more. Even if I had to use it, the $100 would cost less than the headache of rebooking, rescheduling and cancellation fees for my accommodation and all.
Awesome deal for a refundable ticket....yes, in that case it's a no-brainer.
Old Jan 26, 2024, 8:25 am

Programs: Shamelessly Gold at Flying Burrito and AirTrain A+ Elite. Turkish Star Gold, 100k at Flying Eskimo
Thirs time I am updating my flight plan today following AS Max cancellation. Delaying by one week week-after-week.
Alaska had the audacity to ask me for some extra $ because apparently taxes have changed Jan 1st and they need to collect a tax difference... First time they do so.
I am surprised and did not hear about taxes/fees changing Jan 1st. Anybody else was asked to pony up extra US$ for taxes?

Minos
Old Jan 26, 2024, 10:56 am

Programs: A3*G, AS MVPG, UA, AA
Yes?

Itís a cost they donít control. Why wouldnít they pass it on? I wouldnít be surprised if legally they arenít even allowed to eat it.
Old Jan 26, 2024, 11:24 am

Programs: Gold 75K
I think I was charged for new tax. I changed a ticket online subject to waiver and I was charged $4. I was so happy to get the change done without a long hold time I happily paid $4.
Old Jan 26, 2024, 1:11 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

A recalculation of taxes is not AS' option.
Old Jan 26, 2024, 9:51 pm

Programs: Shamelessly Gold at Flying Burrito and AirTrain A+ Elite. Turkish Star Gold, 100k at Flying Eskimo
Originally Posted by lensovet
Yes?

Itís a cost they donít control. Why wouldnít they pass it on? I wouldnít be surprised if legally they arenít even allowed to eat it.
Because when they reroute during IRROPS and they add a new connection, I do not remember other airlines addiing for instance the segment fee. Plus on top of it, I did not ask for the change, they are the one who cancelled my flight...
Minos
jmastron likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2024, 10:05 am

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
AS 33 JFK-SFO was completely schizophrenic with its assigned tail number over the last 24 hours, and Alaska had zeroed out the inventory. I just knew it was going to cancel, and of course I get the notification just after I'd boarded the LIRR and the doors had closed.
Old Jan 30, 2024, 12:03 am

Alaska says full schedule resumes this week. To get people to come back, there are two incentives:
  • a barely-usable 30% discount for flights through March 13
  • double EQM on flights in February

The 30% discount has so many qualifications that I had a hard time finding a useful place for it:
  • Travel to Hawaii, Florida, Latin America, and The Bahamas is valid Sundays, Mondays, Tuesdays, and Wednesdays.
  • Travel from Hawaii, Florida, Latin America, and The Bahamas is valid Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays.
  • Travel to/from all other Alaska Airlines operated flights (except Prudhoe Bay, Alaska) is valid on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Saturdays.
  • For travel on those days, blackout dates for travel to and from the state of Alaska are February 16Ė24, 2024 and March 6Ė13, 2024. Blackout dates for travel to and from for all other markets are February 16Ė24, 2024
  • A 10% off offer is valid all other days.
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/deals/flights/sale
ft543 likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2024, 12:14 am

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by lensovet
Alaska says full schedule resumes this week. To get people to come back, there are two incentives:
  • a barely-usable 30% discount for flights through March 13
  • double EQM on flights in February

The 30% discount has so many qualifications that I had a hard time finding a useful place for it:
  • Travel to Hawaii, Florida, Latin America, and The Bahamas is valid Sundays, Mondays, Tuesdays, and Wednesdays.
  • Travel from Hawaii, Florida, Latin America, and The Bahamas is valid Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays.
  • Travel to/from all other Alaska Airlines operated flights (except Prudhoe Bay, Alaska) is valid on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Saturdays.
  • For travel on those days, blackout dates for travel to and from the state of Alaska are February 16–24, 2024 and March 6–13, 2024. Blackout dates for travel to and from for all other markets are February 16–24, 2024
  • A 10% off offer is valid all other days.
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/deals/flights/sale
Lets just call the 30-40% discount offer from AS for what it is...an embarrasing joke that way too many people will fall for. Anyone who has alredy booked flights will find it to be useless and in many (most) cases more expensive than already booked flights.
lensovet and BA850 like this.
Old Jan 31, 2024, 7:31 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott G, Hertz PC, Avis PC
anyone able to use the waiver for flights between 2/3 - 2/9?

The exception policy says
  • If desired, alternate aircraft type accommodations are being offered to guests scheduled to fly on a Boeing 737-9 Max between now and February 9, 2024 by calling our Reservation office at 1-800-252-7522 for assistance. If we are unable to find an alternate accommodation, a full refund will be offered. To find the aircraft type you’re scheduled on, go to your trips and click on Details under the Flight Summary section.

But all rep claims the blanket policy ends at 2/2 hence not looking into the exception.
Old Feb 1, 2024, 12:42 am

Did you call out that you want to use the max waiver and not the blanket waiver? Are the flights in question currently scheduled to fly on max aircraft?
Old Feb 1, 2024, 6:48 am

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan
Originally Posted by BOB W
Lets just call the 30-40% discount offer from AS for what it is...an embarrasing joke that way too many people will fall for. Anyone who has alredy booked flights will find it to be useless and in many (most) cases more expensive than already booked flights.
Since COVID ended, I've found nearly all of Alaska's discount offers were so full of stipulations and restrictions as to be almost entirely useless, so this is just par for the course.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.