Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

AS Changes Award Charts: Distance- and Zone-Based from March 2024

AS Changes Award Charts: Distance- and Zone-Based from March 2024

Old Apr 2, 2024, 4:59 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
Latam is now updated. Some short routes at 4.5k miles as per the chart, but when you look at cash price it is not clear that is a great value. Still messing around a bit, convinced my flights to SCL and onward to IPC (all in business) for 45k are a better value than what you can get now.
Old Apr 2, 2024, 7:12 pm

On the bright side, my CUN > MIA || stopover || MIA > DCA all AA business class award went from 27.5K to 15K miles, resulting in a refund of 12,500 miles back into my account. 👍🏼
Old Apr 2, 2024, 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
That's Asia Pacific only, for the record. The bands for the Americas are different from Europe and Asia Pacific (and there are bands that exist in the Americas at 25k up to 2100 miles/35k up to 4000 miles).

I think we can guess the reason the bands aren't as good in Asia Pacific: AS is cheap and doesn't want people buying miles for Asia midhaul without getting a larger cut (probably because that's where all the "I'll fly SQ BKK to HKG with a stopover in LHR" or mileage brokers come from).

Seems like you have options, enjoy. But I suspect AS doesn't mind losing your custom if it cuts out mileage brokers.
Asia Pacific is only 1/3 of the world, so I guess it is not big enough for you to think it is not a huge disadvantage of AS chart, but we can agree to disagree. Also EMEA chart is horrendeous too, 1600 mile journeys like LGW-JTR, HEL-BCN, AMM-VIE, MAD-ARN, CMN-CPH cost 45k in J is almost as absurd, for the record.
Americas bands have always existed in AS chart since its change in 2019 to those "hop, leap, jump" redemptions. It is merely now applying that to AA and LA, which is still a deval.
Implying AS somehow uses the chart to deter brokers is a huge stretch. Making HKG-TYO is simply hurting normal users way more than brokers. Brokers are still coming out ahead using stolen miles/transferrable currencies, with AS or without. To them, HKG-TYO pricing at 120k miles is the same as 5k miles. Being bad at controlling brokers is not a reason to destroy the program value for legit users. AC has put in drastic measures but all are temporary in nature, and they did not annihilate their chart just for the rampant brokers trying to game their system.
And yes, now I realize I had options all the time. I was so trapped by the AS mindset that I flew AS near exclusively within North America for a while. I did many YVR-SEA-LAX with 9hr overnight layovers while I could have done WS YVR-LAX for half the cost and 1/5 the time, just for 1205EQM. I now realize I get more joy experimenting with fun charts and flights instead of finding which motel near SEA is the closest by walking. I now have cheap miles I got on sale last black friday for AV (1.2CPM), AC (1.27CPM), AF (1.53CPM), VS (1.01CPM), and it is funny that some folks think we the nerds need brokers when a lot of well-managed programs sell points at very reasonable costs, while AS fumbles and trips with even a basic sale.
And oh, putting the HKG-SIN-LHR-SIN SQ F glitch of cosmic proportions of AS IT on the customers/users is just wrong. Until 2 days ago, LIM-MIA-SCL boomerang methods on LA was live for YEARS and some people have abused it for half a dozen times, yet I do not see any new chart that puts MIA-SCL on a new band. Oh wait it is almost like AS is more familiar with geography in Americas!
Sure, I am nothing to AS, and people like me are the minority of the minority. But now I do not have to hold my breath finding out how many extra dollars it costs to get the main cabin from X saver fares, and do some silly little dances of SAN-ORD-SFO-SEA just to pad EQM. AS no longer needs my few thousand dollars a year and I guess straight up buying miles at sales can save me time, we all win.
lensovet likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2024, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by Robert
On the bright side, my CUN > MIA || stopover || MIA > DCA all AA business class award went from 27.5K to 15K miles, resulting in a refund of 12,500 miles back into my account. 👍🏼
Interesting... BOS-CUN nonstop for 12.5k in J? That's a pretty good deal!
Old Apr 2, 2024, 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by WillTravel4Food
His YouTube channel homepage says "Travel Hacking, Flight Hacking". I agree with your view that AS and likely all other airline aren't going to worry too much about losing this segment of the market. Hopefully AS does pay attention to the segment of the market where I fall, married couple (2024 100K and 75K) who fly almost solely on AS and collect miles via flights and CC spend.
it seems to be true, and I guess that is why DL is doing so well after casting out the plebians like me. I am merely a 75k who needs to plan out a year in order to get the EQMs to requalify, and I guess we can find refuge in other programs. Hope they do not cast you out once they deem you are also too poor for what they want their customers to be, like DL did with their awesome changes a few months back. And here in YVR, we do not get EQM as AS has no functional CC offers here, even though they want to compete so badly, so I have put my bottoms through some real adventures in seat 8A, but I guess I am too old-fashioned and naively thought FF programs should remain beneficial to, ya know, frequent flyers of the airline, but what do I know, I am just a poor boy in his 20s trying to see the world.
lensovet likes this.

Last edited by beyounged; Apr 2, 2024 at 8:06 pm
Old Apr 2, 2024, 8:10 pm

The new AS award charts are primarily distance-based (zones are only used to determine which distance-based chart to use). Like all other distance-based award charts, they generally aren't good for long-haul flights (with a few exceptions that happen to barely fall within a distance band). The days of cheap long-haul partner award flights in premium cabins using AS miles are mostly over. I've already started using my AS miles for short-haul flights and they turn out to be better than BA Avios (or any other mileage currencies) for such purposes (at least in the scenarios I most often encounter). I'm fine with that... as long as AA doesn't devalue soon .
lensovet likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2024, 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by Robert
Did you call AS to request the point refund?
I have few active reservations on AA metal that went down in price, but I dont see the automatic refunds issued for the point differentials
Old Apr 2, 2024, 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by danukraine
Did you call AS to request the point refund?
I have few active reservations on AA metal that went down in price, but I dont see the automatic refunds issued for the point differentials
I made the change directly via the app, but consulted ExpertFlyer to ensure there was U space for both segments. Once I queried the change my reservation option, the flight summary page reflected the points refund amount, and I proceeded with the change. The points were automatically redeposited into my account after the ticket was reissued. Hope this helps.
kalderlake likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2024, 9:49 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
Originally Posted by beyounged
Asia Pacific is only 1/3 of the world, so I guess it is not big enough for you to think it is not a huge disadvantage of AS chart, but we can agree to disagree. Also EMEA chart is horrendeous too, 1600 mile journeys like LGW-JTR, HEL-BCN, AMM-VIE, MAD-ARN, CMN-CPH cost 45k in J is almost as absurd, for the record.
Americas bands have always existed in AS chart since its change in 2019 to those "hop, leap, jump" redemptions. It is merely now applying that to AA and LA, which is still a deval.
Implying AS somehow uses the chart to deter brokers is a huge stretch. Making HKG-TYO is simply hurting normal users way more than brokers. Brokers are still coming out ahead using stolen miles/transferrable currencies, with AS or without. To them, HKG-TYO pricing at 120k miles is the same as 5k miles. Being bad at controlling brokers is not a reason to destroy the program value for legit users. AC has put in drastic measures but all are temporary in nature, and they did not annihilate their chart just for the rampant brokers trying to game their system.
And yes, now I realize I had options all the time. I was so trapped by the AS mindset that I flew AS near exclusively within North America for a while. I did many YVR-SEA-LAX with 9hr overnight layovers while I could have done WS YVR-LAX for half the cost and 1/5 the time, just for 1205EQM. I now realize I get more joy experimenting with fun charts and flights instead of finding which motel near SEA is the closest by walking. I now have cheap miles I got on sale last black friday for AV (1.2CPM), AC (1.27CPM), AF (1.53CPM), VS (1.01CPM), and it is funny that some folks think we the nerds need brokers when a lot of well-managed programs sell points at very reasonable costs, while AS fumbles and trips with even a basic sale.
And oh, putting the HKG-SIN-LHR-SIN SQ F glitch of cosmic proportions of AS IT on the customers/users is just wrong. Until 2 days ago, LIM-MIA-SCL boomerang methods on LA was live for YEARS and some people have abused it for half a dozen times, yet I do not see any new chart that puts MIA-SCL on a new band. Oh wait it is almost like AS is more familiar with geography in Americas!
Sure, I am nothing to AS, and people like me are the minority of the minority. But now I do not have to hold my breath finding out how many extra dollars it costs to get the main cabin from X saver fares, and do some silly little dances of SAN-ORD-SFO-SEA just to pad EQM. AS no longer needs my few thousand dollars a year and I guess straight up buying miles at sales can save me time, we all win.
Asia may well be 1/3 of the world but it's not their customer base. They don't need to cater to the folks who primarily redeem intra-Asia awards. I would bet, 99% of folks in MP have never done so and never will.
eponymous_coward likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2024, 10:33 pm

Programs: A3*G, AS MVPG, UA, AA
I mean they aren't really catering to Americans taking international flights either. And the US-based chart didn't change, except for aligning AA with AS?
TalkingPoint likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2024, 11:08 pm

Originally Posted by franco80k

This is the only J that I can find for CX flight
But I thick you are correct, it is extremely difficult to get CX J redemption from AS...

Checked and can confirm, CX J is finally available, although only on TPE/JPN route for now, but nonetheless a good thing that J is appearing again, finally.
Interestingly, TPE-JPN route now has 4 airlines in J, JAL, CX, KE, Starlux
Old Apr 3, 2024, 12:23 am

Originally Posted by TravelingZoomer
Asia may well be 1/3 of the world but it's not their customer base. They don't need to cater to the folks who primarily redeem intra-Asia awards. I would bet, 99% of folks in MP have never done so and never will.
While this is true, but it conveniently ignores the fact that the most screwed people are the core customers of AS. West coast to the following have been significantly devalued: Oceania, South Asia, Southeast Asia, Africa, Middle East. West coast to the following have been devalued slightly: Europe, deep South America and most Northern America. West coast to the following have been increased in value: Mexico on AA, northern South America. It seems like people most affected are people based in SEA, LAX, SFO and SAN. They may not redeem HKG-TPE once in life, but they sure need to redeem LAX-HEL-CPH, SEA-MIA-LIM, SFO-NRT, SAN-DFW-AKL, PDX-JFK-DOH, all of which have been devalued 30%+. I see more enthusiasm on Chinese social media about the nice FUK-HND//HND-NGS opportunity while having 0 idea what Alaska even is, which makes me think they are pretty well-catered. They have no expectation so this was still a good change, a program that they never understood suddenly allowed them to get great value, but most folks who live in awkward corners west of Mississippi are getting the bad end of the deal. While they do not cater to people who need 1900 mile flights in Asia or Europe, but they definitely are not catering to 99% of their hardcore flyers either.
lensovet and aquanine like this.
Old Apr 3, 2024, 1:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
I take it that its impossible to book SQ flights?
Old Apr 3, 2024, 2:33 am

Programs: MVP100K, A-list, Marriott/IHG Plat, CHP525 Ticket Plat, CHP Solo Carpool 100K, Costco EXP, Tinder 1K
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
I take it that its impossible to book SQ flights?

SQ flights only show up if you search the furthest day in the calendar, and who knows whether it's phantom space or not, because when I searched AKL-SIN and SIN-HKG individually, AS website didn't return any results.

Yeah you heard that right, to book SQ flights you gotta plan 11 months ahead.
Old Apr 3, 2024, 3:16 am

Programs: AS 100k, BA GGL, UA 1k, DL DM, AC SE, B6 Mosaic4, Hyatt/Hilton/Wyndham/IHG Diamond, Marriot Ti
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Aren't the agents being told explicitly "don't do SABRE long sells"? How does one get around that?
You may have to HUCA. Luckily were dealing with AS here. We all know how inconsistent and undisciplined their culture is. On one hand you rarely see a pdb but in this case it works to our advantage. Ive even recently had an agent mention being explicitly told to stop doing these, but understanding how frustrating and incompetent Alaska IT is so she was going to do it anyway after confirming space existed and it was unbookable online. Its been the only way Ive been able to book CX or QF F the last couple years. Seattle call center has been the best, phx you are wasting your time. Same goes for AA they have similar struggles but Fiji call center has been reliable.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.