Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Highly Recommended: Protection for your trip

Highly Recommended: Protection for your trip

Old Oct 30, 2023, 12:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by TalkingPoint
Just charge 1 cent to your cc with travel insurance and leave the rest on the gc. I can confirm it works with CSR - your trip is fully insured despite only a portion charged to the cc.
Dumped my amex plat after a decade this year due to chip chip chop. I wish AS allowed a mix and match for gc usage... its all or nothing (or partial, but not as clean on the partial).
Old Oct 30, 2023, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by beckoa
Dumped my amex plat after a decade this year due to chip chip chop. I wish AS allowed a mix and match for gc usage... its all or nothing (or partial, but not as clean on the partial).
Well, you can do a partial wallet payment by temporarily reducing your wallet balance to use the credit card with insurance for the rest of the ticket balance. But it is annoying. I think UA lets you explicitly choose the amount you want to use from the travel bank.
Old Oct 30, 2023, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Credit cards that provide good travel insurance tend to have high annual fees. For people who only travel once every year or two, I could see this being a reasonable purchase. It's not worth getting a travel credit card, and if you have to cancel you may not be able to use a travel credit before it expires.

Also a lot of people simply don't have the credit score to qualify for a good credit card. I'm sure that a lot of people are using debit cards, or credit cards with limited benefits, to buy tickets, because that's all that they can get.
I don't see how travel insurance that isn't medical insurance is ever a reasonable purchase. It's great to take advantage of if you are using a credit card that offers insurance but buying insurance like this is a losing proposition unless you are somehow gaming the system.

Insurance companies know their numbers. They will win more often than you. Insurance makes sense when the potential.funacial hit would be devastating, but if a trip interruption is finanilay devastating you probably shouldn't be taking the trip.
Old Oct 30, 2023, 10:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Aliquot
I don't see how travel insurance that isn't medical insurance is ever a reasonable purchase.
It can make sense if you have very expensive prepaid and nonrefundable hotel (or airbnb). That's the only time I'll consider purchasing (and I'll get a third-party policy, e.g., Generali). Did this a couple of times during Covid and I felt it was a reasonable expense given the exposure.
Old Oct 30, 2023, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Aliquot
I don't see how travel insurance that isn't medical insurance is ever a reasonable purchase. It's great to take advantage of if you are using a credit card that offers insurance but buying insurance like this is a losing proposition unless you are somehow gaming the system.

Insurance companies know their numbers. They will win more often than you. Insurance makes sense when the potential.funacial hit would be devastating, but if a trip interruption is finanilay devastating you probably shouldn't be taking the trip.
We are getting into a different discussion here.

In general you never want to insure anything that you can afford to pay for yourself. Because, yes, the insurance companies are making a profit, and that profit comes from somewhere, and that somewhere is you. I would never pay to insure a trip because a trip is something that I can afford to eat the cost of if it comes to that.

But if you must get insurance, then this may be a reasonable way of getting it, particularly if you don't have access to credit cards that have trip insurance built in. I'm not sure about the quality of the coverage compared to other options because, again, I would never insure a trip. This is akin to buying the extended warranty at best buy (pro tip: not a good deal)
ashill, Aliquot and Flying for Fun like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.