Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

AS Elite status benefits on AA mileage award ticket

Old Sep 18, 2023, 4:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Fly Amtrak, Go Greyhound! I'm often wrong but always sincere.

Apologies in advance if I've missed the answer to this searching other threads. If I book an award ticket on AA using AAdvantage miles but have AS elite status, would I be able to qualify for my benefits, including upgrade on the flight? I haven't booked the ticket yet, but do notice if I use my AAdvantage miles, it won't let me enter my AS number via the aa.com website.

Has anyone tried this before, can I call AA and add my status for reciprocal benefits?

Thanks!
Old Sep 18, 2023, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by OutOfOffice
Apologies in advance if I've missed the answer to this searching other threads. If I book an award ticket on AA using AAdvantage miles but have AS elite status, would I be able to qualify for my benefits, including upgrade on the flight? I haven't booked the ticket yet, but do notice if I use my AAdvantage miles, it won't let me enter my AS number via the aa.com website.

Has anyone tried this before, can I call AA and add my status for reciprocal benefits?

Thanks!
AA Award flights are fully refundable (miles+fees) with no penalty so you can certainly book it, then call and ask. If you can't add the number and get added to the upgrade list (the res should say "requested" under upgrades) you can always just cancel. There is no time limit to do this; they are fully refundable right up to takeoff.

Edit: this is all true but unnecessary for this use case.

Last edited by VegasGambler; Sep 18, 2023 at 5:01 pm
Old Sep 18, 2023, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Forget my last answer. You can enter your AS number. Just go to change the name of the passenger. It will ask if you are booking for someone else and offer to clear the passenger info. Clear it, and re-enter it with the same name, etc, but your AS number. Clearing the info makes the FF program changeable again.
Old Sep 18, 2023, 5:10 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
always start as a new human and yes, it is a pain to reenter all your info, but this is the way.
Old Sep 18, 2023, 5:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Fly Amtrak, Go Greyhound! I'm often wrong but always sincere.
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Forget my last answer. You can enter your AS number. Just go to change the name of the passenger. It will ask if you are booking for someone else and offer to clear the passenger info. Clear it, and re-enter it with the same name, etc, but your AS number. Clearing the info makes the FF program changeable again.

Thanks VegasGamble and lalala, that worked perfectly and recognized my status.

This is my first post in several years on FT and this continues to be a wealth of expert information, I should start posting again!

Thanks
VegasGambler likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2023, 5:59 pm

Programs: AS 100k, AA MM, HH Dia
Quick Tip: You can add yourself (with the AS info) as a companion in your AA account --- you can select your AS alter ego and save re-entering all the data each time.

Log into AA, Account Preferences, Reservation Preferences, Add a Travel Companion (yourself with the AS account info)
Repooc17 likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2023, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by OutOfOffice
Thanks VegasGamble and lalala, that worked perfectly and recognized my status.

This is my first post in several years on FT and this continues to be a wealth of expert information, I should start posting again!
Thanks for asking this question. I learned something that, given my stash of AA miles and AS status, will definitely be useful.

And yes, stick around and join the discussions. I learn new things every day.
Old Sep 19, 2023, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by leroix
Quick Tip: You can add yourself (with the AS info) as a companion in your AA account --- you can select your AS alter ego and save re-entering all the data each time.

Log into AA, Account Preferences, Reservation Preferences, Add a Travel Companion (yourself with the AS account info)
Thanks. Will give this a try.

I have been slumming it in the back this whole time on AA award flights. Luckily they were all short hauls.
Old Sep 20, 2023, 7:07 am

Programs: AA, AS, AV, B6, DL, F9, WN
Originally Posted by leroix

Wow! That's a great tip.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.