AS Announces Guatemala City (GUA)

Old Jul 18, 2023, 9:35 pm
  #46  
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: PDX
Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Posts: 3,003
Originally Posted by BOB W
I really do not understand this route. AS likes to add one-a-day, few times a week routes. It would be better in my NSHO is they would work on building our their existing network first. They already have plenty of one-a-day, few times a week routes.
If they start adding more frequencies to their existing network its a lot harder for them to make splashy social media posts.
VibeGuy likes this.
Chugach is offline  
Old Jan 17, 2024, 2:34 pm
  #47  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: FAI
Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Posts: 42,961
Originally Posted by beckoa
I think this is an interesting add.
And I'm headed there today.

Apparently there was a recent diversion to SAL...

https://www.flightaware.com/live/fli...735Z/KLAX/MSLP
Tack likes this.
beckoa is offline  
Old Jan 17, 2024, 4:03 pm
  #48  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: PDX
Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Posts: 10,762
Originally Posted by beckoa
And I'm headed there today.

Apparently there was a recent diversion to SAL...

https://www.flightaware.com/live/fli...735Z/KLAX/MSLP
Let us know how it goes....I considered trying out this new flight and seeing some of the sites in Guatemala City, but safety does seem to be a concern and on a much less important note, I don't do well clearing the upgrade list on the -800s which seems to be the aircraft assigned to this route.

Guatemala Travel Advisory (state.gov)
PDXPremier is offline  
Old Jan 17, 2024, 4:19 pm
  #49  
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Anchorage, AK
Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Posts: 8,275
Originally Posted by beckoa
And I'm headed there today.

Apparently there was a recent diversion to SAL...

https://www.flightaware.com/live/fli...735Z/KLAX/MSLP
Stay safe and watch your surroundings!
BOB W is online now  
Old Jan 17, 2024, 4:24 pm
  #50  
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NYC
Programs: AA GLD, AC
Posts: 4,231
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Let us know how it goes....I considered trying out this new flight and seeing some of the sites in Guatemala City, but safety does seem to be a concern and on a much less important note, I don't do well clearing the upgrade list on the -800s which seems to be the aircraft assigned to this route.

Guatemala Travel Advisory (state.gov)
Guatemala City has little to nothing of interest to a tourist. Antigua, which is a couple of hours' drive away (depending on traffic), is gorgeous and well worth visiting.
M60_to_LGA is offline  
Old Jan 17, 2024, 4:50 pm
  #51  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: PDX
Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Posts: 10,762
Originally Posted by M60_to_LGA
Guatemala City has little to nothing of interest to a tourist. Antigua, which is a couple of hours' drive away (depending on traffic), is gorgeous and well worth visiting.
Bummer....I guess that's what I like about places like PVR--you're essentially where you want to be when you land without having to budget for an extended road trip or, in the case of BZE, another flight.
futuramadramallama likes this.
PDXPremier is offline  
Old Jan 17, 2024, 5:15 pm
  #52  
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: SFO
Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Posts: 3,319
Lots of political drama there the last few months, but after the President was finally sworn in a couple of days ago, I think its relatively safe.

https://apnews.com/article/guatemala...d12121e03c80c2
NoLaGent is offline  
Old Jan 17, 2024, 5:29 pm
  #53  
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NYC
Programs: AA GLD, AC
Posts: 4,231
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Bummer....I guess that's what I like about places like PVR--you're essentially where you want to be when you land without having to budget for an extended road trip or, in the case of BZE, another flight.
You can grab a secure shuttle from the airport straight to your hotel in Antigua for around $15. It's very easy to get to/from (with the caveat that the roads in Guatemala are generally bad, winding, and crowded with traffic.)

I've been to Guatemala several times, most recently for two weeks in July/August, and I'd highly recommend it.
M60_to_LGA is offline  
Old Jan 18, 2024, 12:53 am
  #54  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: FAI
Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Posts: 42,961
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Let us know how it goes....I considered trying out this new flight and seeing some of the sites in Guatemala City, but safety does seem to be a concern and on a much less important note, I don't do well clearing the upgrade list on the -800s which seems to be the aircraft assigned to this route.

Guatemala Travel Advisory (state.gov)
Well, we ended up with a full F cabin tonight but it was F1U1 right before departure with no one on the wl tonight. As always YMMV. It was Y3 earlier too so a seemingly full flight.
beckoa is offline  
Old Jan 18, 2024, 1:20 am
  #55  
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Programs: Nectar Card
Posts: 1,095
Originally Posted by M60_to_LGA
You can grab a secure shuttle from the airport straight to your hotel in Antigua for around $15. It's very easy to get to/from (with the caveat that the roads in Guatemala are generally bad, winding, and crowded with traffic.)

I've been to Guatemala several times, most recently for two weeks in July/August, and I'd highly recommend it.
If you find yourself bored and also interested in writing a blurb, could you share some of your ideas or tips on visiting Antigua and Guatemala?
notquiteaff likes this.
futuramadramallama is offline  
Old Jan 20, 2024, 4:52 am
  #56  
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Programs: AS 100K
Posts: 294
Originally Posted by futuramadramallama
If you find yourself bored and also interested in writing a blurb, could you share some of your ideas or tips on visiting Antigua and Guatemala?
Guatemala as a whole and Antigua in particular are on the backpacker circuit. You can find endless blog and vlogs via Google and YT.
futuramadramallama likes this.
imaflyertalkuserwow is offline  
Old Jan 26, 2024, 9:45 pm
  #57  
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NYC
Programs: AA GLD, AC
Posts: 4,231
Originally Posted by futuramadramallama
If you find yourself bored and also interested in writing a blurb, could you share some of your ideas or tips on visiting Antigua and Guatemala?
I don't know that I have anything terribly helpful to add above and beyond what you'll find in a guidebook or anywhere else. Antigua is beautiful and well worth a visit; you can get a shared taxi shuttle to there from the airport for around $15 at one of the official transportation vendor booths right when you exit customs. There are a lot of excellent restaurants there and some beautiful boutique hotels (I stayed most recently at Hotel Aurora but have also stayed at Casa Santo Domingo, which was a convent during the colonial era and is absurdly gorgeous but also quite pricy). Tikal is a wonder of the ancient world. The market at Chichicastenango is definitely worth visiting, as is Lake Atitln. But the country is very much third-world, and with the exception really of Antigua (and maybe Flores, the island city that serves as a hub to get to/from TIkal) you're not going to find places set up with a lot of infrastructure to cater to upper-income tourists. Even in the lake towns, or in Chichicastenango, you might find a good hotel or two, but outside the doors you're very much in a Guatemalan town. And Panajachel, which is sort of the main entry/exit point for Atitln, is pretty ugly - it caters to backpackers, not necessarily the FT demographic.

Also, I feel it's a very difficult country to navigate independently if you don't speak Spanish. If you do go, it may be a place to rely on guided tours or at least a hired driver.
M60_to_LGA is offline  
Old Jan 27, 2024, 8:06 pm
  #58  
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Programs: Nectar Card
Posts: 1,095
Originally Posted by M60_to_LGA
I don't know that I have anything terribly helpful to add above and beyond what you'll find in a guidebook or anywhere else. Antigua is beautiful and well worth a visit; you can get a shared taxi shuttle to there from the airport for around $15 at one of the official transportation vendor booths right when you exit customs. There are a lot of excellent restaurants there and some beautiful boutique hotels (I stayed most recently at Hotel Aurora but have also stayed at Casa Santo Domingo, which was a convent during the colonial era and is absurdly gorgeous but also quite pricy). Tikal is a wonder of the ancient world. The market at Chichicastenango is definitely worth visiting, as is Lake Atitln. But the country is very much third-world, and with the exception really of Antigua (and maybe Flores, the island city that serves as a hub to get to/from TIkal) you're not going to find places set up with a lot of infrastructure to cater to upper-income tourists. Even in the lake towns, or in Chichicastenango, you might find a good hotel or two, but outside the doors you're very much in a Guatemalan town. And Panajachel, which is sort of the main entry/exit point for Atitln, is pretty ugly - it caters to backpackers, not necessarily the FT demographic.

Also, I feel it's a very difficult country to navigate independently if you don't speak Spanish. If you do go, it may be a place to rely on guided tours or at least a hired driver.
Actually that was quite helpful. Will of course read guidebooks and other resources. Thanks for the 2p.
futuramadramallama is offline  
Old Jan 28, 2024, 11:41 am
  #59  
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Eugene, OR
Programs: Alaska MVP 100K
Posts: 597
Having just done this trip last weekend, I can report a few AS-related items:

Full F LAX-GUA and seemingly full coach as well on a Thursday night. I was surprised given the recency of this addition. Return GUA-LAX on Monday was very light, with at least one F seat empty. My son, an MVP, was upgraded.

6:00 am arrival in GUA meant almost no immigration line. Given the terrible recline in AS F I booked us a very cheap, very decent hotel within walking distance of the airport where we crashed for about 4 hours. Various rental car companies also within easy walking distance, so I ended up being pleasantly surprised at how easy the logistics are upon arrival.

AS's 11:45 am return is nicely timed to allow you to spend your last night in Guatemala somewhere else. We overnighted in Antigua and discovered that all the nightmre reports of Guatemala City traffic are true. 2:30 hours to travel the roughly 40 kilometers! Still, arrived with enough time to sample the excellent Casa del Ron (Priority Pass) lounge in GUA.

No guarantees of course, but we never felt unsafe anywhere we traveled, from the coast to Antigua. All in all, an excellent 3-day weekend trip. Very excited that AS started this new route.
SanDiego1K and notquiteaff like this.
LGACIC is offline  
Old Jan 28, 2024, 12:35 pm
  #60  
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NYC
Programs: AA GLD, AC
Posts: 4,231
On my most recent trip to Guatemala, I spent my last couple of nights at the Westin Camino Real in Guatemala City, as I flew AA and had a horrible departure time of 6am. I really loved that hotel. The bed was extremely comfortable, the staff was lovely, the restaurants were excellent (I tried both the breakfast buffet and the pizza place in the lobby). It was also only about a 10-minute cab ride to the airport). Highly recommend.
M60_to_LGA is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.