Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Best options for flying from Mexico to Europe with Alaska points?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best options for flying from Mexico to Europe with Alaska points?

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2023, 11:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, SPG, UR, MR
Question Best options for flying from Mexico to Europe with Alaska points?

I'm trying to find a way to use points to travel within the next two weeks from Mexico to Europe.

(My final destination is Warsaw, so I'll most likely have to book a budget flight for the last leg to Warsaw. I am starting in Guadalajara, Mexico).

I've been calling in to AAdvantage bookings looking for Iberia flight options but they seem to be quite limited. I did find the following options:

Bogota - Madrid (June 10th) - Iberia (40k miles + $147)

However for the other 2 legs of my journey, it would require buying flights out of pocket.

Guadalajara (GDL) - Bogota (BOG) - $87 (Viva Aerobus)

Madrid (MAD) - Warsaw (WAW) - ~$250+ (Ryanair)

I tried looking for a continuing flight from Madrid to anywhere east, which would be cheaper to fly from to Warsaw (Norway, Sweden, Italy), but Iberia has no seating at all to any cities I looked at, on June 10th - June 15th.

Any tips on other options I could use to get from Guadalajara to Warsaw (or Central America to Europe really) using Alaska or AAdvantage points?
Old May 28, 2023, 12:12 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by sikorloa
Any tips on other options I could use to get from Guadalajara to Warsaw (or Central America to Europe really) using Alaska or AAdvantage points?
Look for DE from CUN. That will get you to FRA, possibly beyond.

James
tobikosan and mildfrequence like this.
Old May 28, 2023, 11:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Look for DE from CUN. That will get you to FRA, possibly beyond.

James
Forgot to mention, is it possible to get rewards miles that would avoid flying through the US?

Or do I have to go through customs and all that if flying through the US, even if it's a layover?
Old May 28, 2023, 12:04 pm

Forgot to mention, is it possible to get rewards miles that would avoid flying through the US?

Or do I have to go through customs and all that if flying through the US, even if it's a layover?
Yes, it is possible to avoid the US, flying direct from Mexico the Europe. Searching from PVR & GDL will route you through the US on either AA or AS + Partner (including AA). You would need to be able to enter the US as there isn't a possibility to transfer from International to International.

Condor flies non-stop from Cancun to Frankfurt.

BA flies to LHR from MEX. The YQ on BA is a relatively inexpensive at $225 in J or F while Mexican Depature tax from MEX is pricey at ,~$60.

James
Old May 29, 2023, 4:57 pm
Original Poster

Yes, it is possible to avoid the US, flying direct from Mexico the Europe. Searching from PVR & GDL will route you through the US on either AA or AS + Partner (including AA). You would need to be able to enter the US as there isn't a possibility to transfer from International to International.

Condor flies non-stop from Cancun to Frankfurt.

BA flies to LHR from MEX. The YQ on BA is a relatively inexpensive at $225 in J or F while Mexican Depature tax from MEX is pricey at ,~$60.

James
Thanks James - I booked the CUN - FRA flight, I appreciate the suggestion.

I'm trying to fly back from Europe to Mexico in early August (around August 8th) - but on Condor all the FRA - CUN flights get routed through the US.

Do you know any way to use Alaska (or AAdvantage) points to get from Europe to Mexico, without going through the US?

Condor seems to be out. I'm going to call AAdvantage and look for Iberia flights from Madrid to Mexico City (or anywhere in Latin America, and then get a cheap ticket back to GDL).

However Iberia seems to never have availability, so just wondering if you might know of any other good routes.
Old May 29, 2023, 6:23 pm

Thanks James - I booked the CUN - FRA flight, I appreciate the suggestion.

I'm trying to fly back from Europe to Mexico in early August (around August 8th) - but on Condor all the FRA - CUN flights get routed through the US.

Do you know any way to use Alaska (or AAdvantage) points to get from Europe to Mexico, without going through the US?

Condor seems to be out. I'm going to call AAdvantage and look for Iberia flights from Madrid to Mexico City (or anywhere in Latin America, and then get a cheap ticket back to GDL).

However Iberia seems to never have availability, so just wondering if you might know of any other good routes.
I am not sure what your Miles balance is but on August 8, WAR-LHR-MEX is available on BA but only in First Class, 92.5K and $392. Otherwise, slim pickings especially when you want to avoid the US. You can also check IB to South America & then a LA flight to MEX on a separate award might be fruitful.

Are you looking for business or okay with Main cabin awards too?

James
Old May 29, 2023, 7:25 pm
Original Poster

I am not sure what your Miles balance is but on August 8, WAR-LHR-MEX is available on BA but only in First Class, 92.5K and $392. Otherwise, slim pickings especially when you want to avoid the US. You can also check IB to South America & then a LA flight to MEX on a separate award might be fruitful.

Are you looking for business or okay with Main cabin awards too?

James
Thanks James, I have 140k AAdvantage miles but trying to be conservative with them. If there's no other option though maybe I could use it.

I was about to call AA to ask about Iberia flights to Latin America, and then a budget airline flight to GDL (my final destination). Is there a way to check Iberia flights online? I've always called in.
Old May 29, 2023, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Thanks James, I have 140k AAdvantage miles but trying to be conservative with them. If there's no other option though maybe I could use it.

I was about to call AA to ask about Iberia flights to Latin America, and then a budget airline flight to GDL (my final destination). Is there a way to check Iberia flights online? I've always called in.
When available, IB award flights show up just fine on the AA app, and presumably on aa.com as well:

sikorloa likes this.
Old May 29, 2023, 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976
When available, IB award flights show up just fine on the AA app, and presumably on aa.com as well:
Likewise for AS searches too. There is MAD-SCL available on August 11th, 90K in J with $62 in fees & taxes. Something to consider if you want to include a Chile visit or don't mind flying the extra distance to save the BA vig. From SCL you can fly SCL-MEX on LA, readily available in Main for 25K, also easy to find J at 45K, both have fees & taxes of $76.

Since BA, IB & LA don't serve GDL, you can't get all the way to GDL without transiting the US. All partners into the US can be combined with AS' service to GDL.

James
sikorloa likes this.
Old May 29, 2023, 9:31 pm
Original Poster

Likewise for AS searches too. There is MAD-SCL available on August 11th, 90K in J with $62 in fees & taxes. Something to consider if you want to include a Chile visit or don't mind flying the extra distance to save the BA vig. From SCL you can fly SCL-MEX on LA, readily available in Main for 25K, also easy to find J at 45K, both have fees & taxes of $76.

Since BA, IB & LA don't serve GDL, you can't get all the way to GDL without transiting the US. All partners into the US can be combined with AS' service to GDL.

James
Thanks James! I will check out those routes, didn't consider going all the way down to SCL but would be cool to see it.
Old May 30, 2023, 11:03 am

Programs: Accor Silver, AS/DL/Marriott nobody
Seeing British Airways BER-LHR (overnight)-MEX departing Berlin on August 8th and arriving MEX August 9th. 52,500 AS miles in Main for BER-LHR and Premium for LHR-MEX + $327 taxes and fees (and a hotel in LHR). This is similarly available from various European airports (e.g. CPH for 50k miles and $268 for example), but Berlin seems like the closest.

Weirdly BA won't offer an earlier departure from BER to connect to the LHR-MEX flight same day.
sikorloa likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2023, 9:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KSEA
Seeing British Airways BER-LHR (overnight)-MEX departing Berlin on August 8th and arriving MEX August 9th. 52,500 AS miles in Main for BER-LHR and Premium for LHR-MEX + $327 taxes and fees (and a hotel in LHR). This is similarly available from various European airports (e.g. CPH for 50k miles and $268 for example), but Berlin seems like the closest.

Weirdly BA won't offer an earlier departure from BER to connect to the LHR-MEX flight same day.
Thanks KSEA. In terms of the hotel, did you mean the hotel was included, for the $327? (I assume not, but just want to make sure).
Old Jun 2, 2023, 10:01 am

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
Using AS miles for LA flights can be a good value. You can stop over if you want.
Old Jun 2, 2023, 12:19 pm

Programs: Accor Silver, AS/DL/Marriott nobody
Thanks KSEA. In terms of the hotel, did you mean the hotel was included, for the $327? (I assume not, but just want to make sure).
Correct, $327 is just the airline charges, you'd need to add on a hotel in London. From a quick check through Marriott the Renaissance LHR is $112 if you're willing to prepay ($146 cancellable).
sikorloa likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2023, 9:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KSEA
Correct, $327 is just the airline charges, you'd need to add on a hotel in London. From a quick check through Marriott the Renaissance LHR is $112 if you're willing to prepay ($146 cancellable).
Thanks KSEA, much appreciated. I think I'll be flying through LHR son either way - haven't been to that airport in probably 10 years. Do you know if the security / customs is as strict as in the US? Every year when I cross back into the US it feels more and more invasive.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.