Earning miles on partner airlines

Old May 21, 2023, 11:51 am
Original Poster

Earning miles on partner airlines

The part that is confusing to me is when airlines sell each others flights and have different flight numbers. Being that Alaska is partners with British and American, and Iberia, for example, if I buy a ticket through Iberia and it says one leg is operated by British and one by American, what earning rate does it default to?
Old May 21, 2023, 12:03 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by CSquared
The part that is confusing to me is when airlines sell each others flights and have different flight numbers. Being that Alaska is partners with British and American, and Iberia, for example, if I buy a ticket through Iberia and it says one leg is operated by British and one by American, what earning rate does it default to?
You earn based on the selling carrier's earning rate, as long as the operating carrier is a oneworld member and/or the flight number is within the right range. For example a BA flight number on an AA metal flight would earn at BA's rates. But, a BA code on an Aer Lingus flight would not earn even though AS allows earning with Aer Lingus.

Flights must fall within the eligible flight number range below, and your flight must be marketed and operated by British Airways or British Airways codeshare flights marketed by British Airways and operated by oneworld member airlines and affiliates. Codeshare flights marketed by British Airways and operated by a carrier that is not a oneworld member airline are not eligible to earn miles. Award flights booked into the fare classes above are not eligible to earn miles, elite-qualifying miles or segments.
I had to fight this for earning last year, but AS seems to have figured it out. Even long time members of this forum said I was wrong.

Last edited by skunker; May 21, 2023 at 12:12 pm
Old May 21, 2023, 1:54 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by CSquared
As long as all flights are oneworld, refer to the earning charts of the 2 character carrier code in the flight number. That is the marketing carrier. Quite simple.

Originally Posted by skunker
You earn based on the selling carrier's earning rate, as long as the operating carrier is a oneworld member and/or the flight number is within the right range. For example a BA flight number on an AA metal flight would earn at BA's rates. But, a BA code on an Aer Lingus flight would not earn even though AS allows earning with Aer Lingus.
Don't confuse who sold you the ticket with who marketed the flight. The marketing carrier is the 2 digit carrier code preceeding the flight number. If AA "sells" me a BA codeshare operated by AY, the marketing carrier is BA and you refer to the BA charts for earnings in Mileage Plan. AA sold the flight, you flew AY but BA marketed it. If AA sells me an AA codeshare on AS, then AA is the marketing carrier while if AA sells me an AS Prime flight number, the marketing carrier is AS.

AA has even sold me a BA Codeshare on a JFK-LAX A321T transcon; again the marketing carrier is BA with favourable earning in Mileage Plan over the AA Prime had AA sold the AA marketed flight.

James
mildfrequence likes this.
Old May 21, 2023, 5:13 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Right in this case I meant selling as the marketing carrier as it is their seat to sell, not the ticketing carrier. Ticketing carrier has zero effect on earning.
Old Dec 24, 2023, 10:13 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
Just trying to check my math on some tickets that AMEX screwed up and then had to re-issue in a much higher fare class (D) for our family. BA ticket stock, all BA flight numbers, ALG-LGW(J)-LHR-LAX(D)-LAX-LHR(D) and LGW-ALG(J). Since I have all BA flight numbers (the flights to/from LAX are AA metal), I should net 6480 base miles each way or 12960 RT in base miles. J/D class segments earn a 250% RDM bonus so that is +32,400, and we are all MVPs so 50% bonus so another +6480. All in that is 51,840 per person right?
Old Dec 24, 2023, 2:31 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by stephem
Just trying to check my math on some tickets that AMEX screwed up and then had to re-issue in a much higher fare class (D) for our family. BA ticket stock, all BA flight numbers, ALG-LGW(J)-LHR-LAX(D)-LAX-LHR(D) and LGW-ALG(J). Since I have all BA flight numbers (the flights to/from LAX are AA metal), I should net 6480 base miles each way or 12960 RT in base miles. J/D class segments earn a 250% RDM bonus so that is +32,400, and we are all MVPs so 50% bonus so another +6480. All in that is 51,840 per person right?
From Great Circle Mapper

ALG-LGW 1012 Miles
LHR-LAX 5456 Miles
Total return: 6864 2 = 12,936.

EQM on BA Marketed D, C, & J fares 250% (100% Base + 150% COS)

EQM = 32,340.

RDM = 100% Base + 150% COS + 100% RDM Bonus + 50% MVP Elite bonus = 400%

RDM = 12,936 4.0 = 51,744 RDM.

James
Old Mar 11, 2024, 2:01 am

Programs: Bonvoy LifetimeTitanium, UA Plat 2MM, LHW LeadersClub, IHGPlat, HiltonDiamnd, ASMVPG100K, WyndDiamnd
So if I purchase a ticket on Oman Air (not yet in OneWorld) with a connection to Malaysia Airlines with an MHxx flight number and use my AS Mileage Plan number, I would be entitled to AS credit, as Malaysia is then the marketing and operating carrier? Is that correct?
Old Mar 11, 2024, 7:55 pm

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
For the record, in the past when miles didnt credit because it was a codeshare not within the numbers stated, theyd never check and customer care would manually input the miles.
Old Mar 12, 2024, 11:49 am

Programs: AS MVPG, UA Gold 1MM (the unfriendly sky), Marriott Gold, Hyatt Exp, Hertz no longer
I agree with James, the total RDM will be 51,744 and the EQM will be 32,340.

You can calculate it using the Excel AS Miles Calculator from this thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/35732336-post150.html

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.