Unable to search for PKX awards

Old May 19, 2023, 3:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP
Unable to search for PKX awards

Hey all, the AS website doesn't allow for award searches to PKX, which opened in 2019 just before the pandemic (note that PEK is searchable). Given that many Oneworld alliance partners are operating out of / moving to PKX (BA, AA), I find it a bit frustrating that I can't even search for award inventory. While I see this more likely as a result of oversight (e.g. for whatever reason PKX hasn't been added to some airport list to allow searches), when I contacted AS Cares and the MVP phone line, AS has dismissed it more or less as partners are not releasing inventory to PKX, which I understand and isn't my problem/question. I'd at least like to be able to search for and see there is no inventory, as PKX isn't a valid input to award searches right now. Any suggestions on how I can better communicate/escalate this particular issue to AS?

Last edited by sjcasflyer; May 19, 2023 at 4:47 pm Reason: typo
Old May 19, 2023, 4:00 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Club 49, Global Entry, National Emerald Club, Hilton Silver
I don't have an answer or solution, but would note that Berlin Brandenburg (BER) opened after PKX, and BER is searchable on AS for award fares. Whatever the process for adding BER should be applied to PKX by AS.
Old May 19, 2023, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That seems to be a oneworld problem, not an AS problem.

If you go to:

https://flights.oneworld.com/search?...D&residency=US

And if you search there for PEK to any other airport, it accepts the other airport code in the second field.

But the moment you put in PKX (Daxing) in the first field, the second field stops accepting airport locations, and asks you to select the country you want to fly to. You first have to select United States, and then select an airport after that.

So it seems that while individual oneworld airlines have started using PKX, oneworld the alliance has not yet fully integrated that airport into its system.

So I wouldn't be surprised if you can't book flights to/from PKX yet on any oneworld airlines that don't have their very own flight to PKX. Because if the human oneworld interface breaks when you select PKX, I'd bet the computer interface between oneworld and its member airlines also breaks in that case, and that's why oneworld airlines probably can't get data about PKX flights yet.

I don't know what the history is of how fast oneworld fully adds new airports.

In any case, it's a question for oneworld more than a question for Alaska Airlines. Alaska Airlines is not likely to show it until it works normally on the oneworld site.
Old May 19, 2023, 4:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sdsearch
That seems to be a oneworld problem, not an AS problem.

If you go to:

https://flights.oneworld.com/search?...D&residency=US

And if you search there for PEK to any other airport, it accepts the other airport code in the second field.

But the moment you put in PKX (Daxing) in the first field, the second field stops accepting airport locations, and asks you to select the country you want to fly to. You first have to select United States, and then select an airport after that.

So it seems that while individual oneworld airlines have started using PKX, oneworld the alliance has not yet fully integrated that airport into its system.

So I wouldn't be surprised if you can't book flights to/from PKX yet on any oneworld airlines that don't have their very own flight to PKX. Because if the human oneworld interface breaks when you select PKX, I'd bet the computer interface between oneworld and its member airlines also breaks in that case, and that's why oneworld airlines probably can't get data about PKX flights yet.

I don't know what the history is of how fast oneworld fully adds new airports.

In any case, it's a question for oneworld more than a question for Alaska Airlines. Alaska Airlines is not likely to show it until it works normally on the oneworld site.

This issue didn't appear for me, I was able to load up PKX in either departure / destination fields without needing to select the country and swapping the destination/departures didn't error out either. Obviously I don't think the following will error out, but here's a deeplinked URL in a sample search:

https://flights.oneworld.com/search?...child=&infant=
Old May 19, 2023, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sjcasflyer
This issue didn't appear for me, I was able to load up PKX in either departure / destination fields without needing to select the country and swapping the destination/departures didn't error out either. Obviously I don't think the following will error out, but here's a deeplinked URL in a sample search:

https://flights.oneworld.com/search?...child=&infant=
But it doesn't work for most other cities. American has connecting flights from JFK to LAX, and the results on your list show American as having the flight to JFK, but when I put in LAX in place of JFK, it says "No results found", even though PEK to LAX works fine. They could put together a 2 stop flight PKX to LAX which would the same as the flight to JFK with a leg from JFK to LAX added on, but they haven't.

So it only shows very select flights when you put PKX, but it shows many more possibilities if you put in PEK.

Which implies they haven't fully integrated PKX into their website.
sjcasflyer likes this.
Old May 19, 2023, 10:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sdsearch
But it doesn't work for most other cities. American has connecting flights from JFK to LAX, and the results on your list show American as having the flight to JFK, but when I put in LAX in place of JFK, it says "No results found", even though PEK to LAX works fine. They could put together a 2 stop flight PKX to LAX which would the same as the flight to JFK with a leg from JFK to LAX added on, but they haven't.

So it only shows very select flights when you put PKX, but it shows many more possibilities if you put in PEK.

Which implies they haven't fully integrated PKX into their website.
I see - I got the "No results found" when I swapped JFK for LAX.

Some cross-alliance award sharing is happening though? I found a Aug 10 BA LHR - PKX award available on both BA and CX. I wonder what answer I'd get if I called AS and asked to see if it was available.
Old Oct 11, 2023, 3:12 am

Programs: AA Gold, AS MVP100k, Avis PC
Just an update - Ive been messing around checking on a bunch of award routes lately and I found that I could search PKX routes through the app! Have not checked on the web just yet.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.