Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

[Speculation] Flight Attendant Wearing Camera

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2023, 9:52 pm
Original Poster

I searched but didn't see any posts yet about this. Last night I was flying SEA-LAS and one of the flight attendants had what I am pretty certain was a camera attached to her shirt.

It was a small, 2"x2" white box with some Alaska colors on it. It had a flashing green light. I think she was the lead FA.

Has anyone else seen this? I wonder if it is just a trial run on flights to Vegas.
Old Apr 29, 2023, 10:24 pm

Programs: Yes
I am deeply interested in this.

Did you query that FA? Perhaps you could write into Alaska Listens for more information.
Old Apr 29, 2023, 10:36 pm

Programs: BA GGL, AA EXP and former CK, DL Plat, UA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Single_Flyer
I searched but didn't see any posts yet about this. Last night I was flying SEA-LAS and one of the flight attendants had what I am pretty certain was a camera attached to her shirt.

It was a small, 2"x2" white box with some Alaska colors on it. It had a flashing green light. I think she was the lead FA.

Has anyone else seen this? I wonder if it is just a trial run on flights to Vegas.
Which flight were you on? AS798 at 700pm? Did you get video or photo of it?
Old Apr 29, 2023, 10:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Maybe a "body cam" like most police departments are using?
DLASflyer likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2023, 11:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by anteater
I am deeply interested in this.

Did you query that FA? Perhaps you could write into Alaska Listens for more information.
I was in First Class and in the window seat. She wasn't serving the First Class cabin so I didn't get a chance to ask; though I was curious. It is possible it wasn't a camera, but I can't imagine what else it could have been. I was also nervous it wasn't a camera and maybe something more personal... like an insulin pump or something. But not sure why it would have been in Alaska colors unless just a coincidence.

Originally Posted by cyber1k
Which flight were you on? AS798 at 700pm? Did you get video or photo of it?
I was on AS 636 at 9:30pm. I didn't get a photo or video.

Originally Posted by philemer
Maybe a "body cam" like most police departments are using?
Yes, a body cam.

It had a dial/button on the right side, a camera lens, and then a small green flashing light. Mostly white with a blue and green overlapping circle like you might see on some of their advertising materials.
Old Apr 29, 2023, 11:07 pm

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Is there language or a notice buried into the ticket agreement somewhere that the passenger agrees to be recorded via video camera at any time during their travel? I know the airports have cameras everywhere and that fact is disclosed on the doors or near the doors of most airports as it is a legal requirement to inform the public when they are being recorded.

Could this have been a device related to the headset that the flight attendants use to communicate with each other as they are in different areas of the airplane?

I don't really like the sound of the flight attendant having a video recording device as they walk through the plane, but maybe this is where we are at as a society now in the US.
Old Apr 30, 2023, 12:43 am

Programs: AS 75K
Body cams are becoming popular in more lines of work than just police. I do home inspections and keep in touch with a lot of others nationwide and wearing them at inspections is pretty popular these days. Mainly to document what was visible at the time of the inspection. A common thing is for a buyer to move into a house and accuse us of missing a defect that was concealed and it's just our word against theirs about what was present at the time of the inspection. The body cam solves that one in an instant. In any case with all the problems with problematic passengers these days it wouldn't surprise me at all if FAs started wearing cameras.
Kathy_marie likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2023, 7:23 am

Programs: Costco Club
Originally Posted by storewanderer
Is there language or a notice buried into the ticket agreement somewhere that the passenger agrees to be recorded via video camera at any time during their travel? I know the airports have cameras everywhere and that fact is disclosed on the doors or near the doors of most airports as it is a legal requirement to inform the public when they are being recorded.

Could this have been a device related to the headset that the flight attendants use to communicate with each other as they are in different areas of the airplane?

I don't really like the sound of the flight attendant having a video recording device as they walk through the plane, but maybe this is where we are at as a society now in the US.
I wonder if an airplane would constitute a public place and there’s no expectation of privacy? This is very interesting, for a medical emergency or god forbid a crash the video would be terrible.
Uchida likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2023, 7:39 am

Originally Posted by StevenSeagalFan
I wonder if an airplane would constitute a public place and there’s no expectation of privacy? This is very interesting, for a medical emergency or god forbid a crash the video would be terrible.
They are not considered public places as they are mostly private property and airlines can apply rules to what they allow photo / video wise.
Old Apr 30, 2023, 8:28 am

Programs: Costco Club
Originally Posted by olouie
They are not considered public places as they are mostly private property and airlines can apply rules to what they allow photo / video wise.
Good point. WA state law does mention public conveyances and transportation facilities but, to your point, a private airline isn’t a public conveyance.

"Public place" means that portion of any building or vehicle used by and open to the public, regardless of whether the building or vehicle is owned in whole or in part by private persons or entities, the state of Washington, or other public entity, and regardless of whether a fee is charged for admission, and includes a presumptively reasonable minimum distance, as set forth in RCW 70.160.075, of twenty-five feet from entrances, exits, windows that open, and ventilation intakes that serve an enclosed area where smoking is prohibited. A public place does not include a private residence unless the private residence is used to provide licensed child care, foster care, adult care, or other similar social service care on the premises.
DutchessPDX and willoL like this.
Old Apr 30, 2023, 8:31 am

Personally, I think it's kind of unfair where "they" make video but "we" can't. However, as mentioned above, it's on private property and, far as I know, I see nothing illegal about it.

PS - Of course, not a lawyer and can't recall reading anything lawyerly.

PS 2 - You know what, in the end, I don't care either way. I mean, I almost live in Vegas and have been on CCTV probably my entire adult life, and it's not as if in a gazillion years I'd ever be captured on video doing anything inappropriate or illegal, aside from dozing off before the safety demo. Perhaps, they could fine me for that with the all encompassing Fed law FA stuff?
Old Apr 30, 2023, 1:11 pm

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
Originally Posted by mtofell
Body cams are becoming popular in more lines of work than just police.
My former employer has most people working in the field wearing cameras as altercations with insane homeowners and landowners have been on the upswing since 2020 when more people have been at home during the day.
mtofell likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2023, 1:58 pm

Programs: AA
I hope it was a cam and I hope it becomes common place. Too many morons behaving like morons. Maybe this would help deter some of this behavior.
Old Apr 30, 2023, 3:04 pm

Could be used to review any disputes or crashes. In the event of a dispute it is often a "He said, She said" situation and maybe a body cam could be used as evidence. Did you call the airline to ask? Would be curious to know if it was actually a body cam or just a weird looking accessory.
Old Apr 30, 2023, 3:21 pm

There are no cams that have been put in place by the airlines on planes at this point that any of the FA’s have been made aware of. Per the contract they would need to know of them. That said, we all know there are plenty of cams - YouTube is evidence of that. Everyone has a cell cam these days and they're always recording stuff.

Last edited by AS Flyer; Apr 30, 2023 at 3:55 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.