Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Mileage Redemption Question for Alaska Award Segment (part of LATAM itinerary)

Old Apr 12, 2023, 6:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: The opinions expressed here are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect the airlines I worked for.

Saw some good redemption deals for SFO-LAX-Brazil for 25,000 each way, but in both directions, the connections in LAX are 12+ hours between Alaska and LATAM segments (same issue on the way home).

From what I can tell, for the SFO-LAX and LAX-SFO feeder segments to/from LATAM, it looks like the 25,000 award level maps to SFO-LAX Alaska award flights that would normally cost 6,000 on their own (and 6,000 for LAX-SFO on the way home).

However, Alaska has numerous earlier and later flights from SFO-LAX and from LAX-SFO with much better connection times available on AS metal for 9,000 for Main on the same dates.

Question: Can I book the SFO-LAX-Brazil roundtrip itinerary online and then call Res to "pay up" the 3,000 mile difference each way?

I guess I could also just SDC it the day of as MVP Gold, but it would be nice to have it confirmed in advance for just 6,000 more miles. THANKS!!
Old Apr 12, 2023, 7:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
No, not an option. Either SDC or book two awards (not recommended)
eponymous_coward likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2023, 11:12 pm

Programs: Nectar Card
Originally Posted by beckoa
Not OP, but I think this is related: can an AS MVP Gold or higher, SDC the AS-portion of a partner award? Sounds like yes.
Old Apr 12, 2023, 11:45 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by futuramadramallama
Not OP, but I think this is related: can an AS MVP Gold or higher, SDC the AS-portion of a partner award? Sounds like yes.
Yes you can!

James
Old Apr 13, 2023, 12:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: The opinions expressed here are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect the airlines I worked for.
Originally Posted by beckoa
SDC isn't too bad. It's midweek so loads should be okay. I guess i can also keep an eye to see if a 6,000 mile award becomes available and call Res to change into it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.