Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

6+ hr delayed AS flight due to mechanical - compensation ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2023, 6:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL-Diamond/2MM, Alaska Gold, Marriott Titanium, LT Plat.

Mechanical (some sensor problem) and flight delayed for 6 hrs/50 minutes. Other than meal voucher, what is appropriate compensation, or is there any ?
Old Mar 10, 2023, 7:00 pm

Programs: Yes
You may receive an automated email within a few days day-of or post-flight which looks like this:

AS used to be much more proactive in sending out automated delay compensation, but recent reports by other FTr's haven't been promising. You may want to call into Customer Care and express your disappointment. They will likely provide a voucher for future travel. 🤙🏻🥃
beckoa and minhaoxue like this.
Old Mar 10, 2023, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by whereishome?
Mechanical (some sensor problem) and flight delayed for 6 hrs/50 minutes. Other than meal voucher, what is appropriate compensation, or is there any ?
The US does not have mandatory compensation laws for delays like the EU (even when it is the fault of the airline), so there's no definitive compensation amount in these cases. You will often get something if you complain (in the form of voucher or miles), but there isn't much recourse if you are not happy with the amount (other than complaining some more and hoping for best).
Old Mar 10, 2023, 8:27 pm

2-3 hour delayed get nothing usually so 6+ hours maybe a $10-20 discount code? They used to send food vouchers too but those seem to be enhanced away too.
anteater likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2023, 8:44 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
fwiw I automatically got a $50 discount code day-of in December for a 1h15 arrival delay waiting for a gate in BOS.
olouie likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2023, 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by JetAirways77W
fwiw I automatically got a $50 discount code day-of in December for a 1h15 arrival delay waiting for a gate in BOS.
Yeah something seemed to have changed this year. Much more stingy with the compensation.
Old Mar 10, 2023, 9:35 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Give AS a day to proactively offer compensation. If you don't receive anything, then reach out. As others have said, past performance is not indicative of current offers, so moderate your expectations.
Old Mar 10, 2023, 10:48 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by JetAirways77W
In December, I had a similar experience flying YVR-SEA. Aircraft went MX. AS issued each of us a $200 discount code and an apology within minutes of the cancellation and reaccommodated us on AC. We misconnected in SEA. They reaccommodated us the following morning and paid for a hotel of my choosing.

Since then, it does feel more reactive than proactive. I don't use the Alaska Airlines link often but did on PHX-SEA flight last month. I received an email yesterday with two $75 discount codes.

James
anteater likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2023, 8:47 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
I also got a little something ($75 discount code) per person, but not until after I reached out. And that was just on a 2+ hour delay. For 6+ I'm surprised they haven't been proactive, but I guess they're saving money if the squeaky wheels don't ask.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2023, 8:52 am

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
I also got a little something ($75 discount code) per person, but not until after I reached out. And that was just on a 2+ hour delay. For 6+ I'm surprised they haven't been proactive, but I guess they're saving money if the squeaky wheels don't ask.
Seems very uneven, I got an apology email after inquiring after 2-3 hour delay. Guess I might have to directly ask for compensation?
Old Mar 11, 2023, 8:55 am

Originally Posted by olouie
Seems very uneven, I got an apology email after inquiring after 2-3 hour delay. Guess I might have to directly ask for compensation?
It seems to be all over the lot. I didn't ask for compensation, I asked for them to foot the bill of an extra hotel night because of our delay - they said no, but said here's the discount codes. I guess that makes sense from their standpoint, discount codes means I'll fly them again and pay more money out of my pocket. A straight reimbursement of the hotel cost would have garnered them nothing.
Old Mar 11, 2023, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by olouie
Definitely seems to be a manual process, and thus dependent on how generous the human feels. I have received small amounts of compensation when I really didn’t expect anything due to the relatively short delay. And then I have received the email anteater posted above for trip where the delay was greater (including deplaning and trekking to another gate for a new aircraft). And I read it two or three times thinking “surely I am missing something here!?”
Old Mar 11, 2023, 10:00 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Got a $150 voucher for a 7 hour delay last week.
Old Mar 11, 2023, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by jsguyrus
Got a $150 voucher for a 7 hour delay last week.
An outright voucher or a discount voucher?
Old Mar 11, 2023, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
An outright voucher or a discount voucher?
What's the difference?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.