Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

No AA Award Availability on AS, but IB/BA?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2023, 1:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BonVoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Delta Plat, BA Bronze

I was trying to put together a last minute trip to SAN this morning and noticed great award (Web Special's) on AA from PDX to SAN for 9k (out and back). Aren't the Web Specials supposed to be visible to other OW carriers award programs? They often pop-up on BA and IB, but a little bit more expensive with Avios as they are distance-by-leg-based awards. However, Alaska doesn't feature these AA awards in their search, especially on west coast routings.

Any idea as to why those AA awards are visible to other OW carriers through their respective loyalty programs but not Alaska?
Old Mar 9, 2023, 1:44 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Plat, ICH Plat, HH Gold
Not sure I understand your question completely, but IMHO it's up to each FF program to have 'specials'. Nothing stopping AA to have some discounted award flights, but there isn't anything compelling AS to offer the same. Similar thing to each FF program charging very different amounts of miles for exactly the same award flights.

BTW: are these AS-operated PDX-SAN or AA-operated with a connection?
Old Mar 9, 2023, 3:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BonVoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Delta Plat, BA Bronze
Hi,

It's an AA operated PDX-PHX-SAN flight, same routing out and back.

I know that the OW membership requirements include business agreements with each member airline for earning and redemption; but to your point, Alaska may opt to limit AA awards on international routings only.

I rarely, if ever, see AA availability on the PDX-LAX directs on Alaska, but they are often available with Avios through BA/IB.
Old Mar 9, 2023, 3:31 pm

AA saver awards are available to partners, not web specials. Maybe something will change since AA says pricing will be more dynamic this year.
safari ari likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2023, 3:36 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
AA and BA/IB (IAG) may have something within their partnership agreement to make these awards available. Those airlines have a much tighter relationship with each other than either does with AS.
Old Mar 9, 2023, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by rrgg
AA saver awards are available to partners, not web specials. Maybe something will change since AA says pricing will be more dynamic this year.
There have been some reports of BAEC members' being able to use Avios to book AA award flights, even when those flights are only showing up as (low-priced) Web Special awards. Of course, as you note, this will all be moot when AA goes fully "dynamic" and eliminates the "Web Special" category of redemptions. It remains to be seen what criteria AA will then use to determine which awards to make available to partners.
Old Mar 10, 2023, 4:52 am

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
AA domestically has traditionally been great via AS miles. But for whatever reason I don't think I've ever seen J offered on AA using AS miles. I don't know why that is and it can be frustrating at times.
Old Mar 10, 2023, 8:38 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by NWplatinum
AA domestically has traditionally been great via AS miles. But for whatever reason I don't think I've ever seen J offered on AA using AS miles. I don't know why that is and it can be frustrating at times.
I have booked more than one. Best AS J award on all AA metal was LIR-MIA-LAX(77W)/8 days/LAX-JFK(A321T) for 27.5K AS miles. The LIR-MIA was in Main on an A319 with 8 First Class seats. I was in MCE but didn't really care since it was such a short flight; equivalent to SEA-PHX.

AS & AA were supposed to be offering reciprocal dynamically priced awards. I saw a few instances of AA awards on AS metal late last year but nothing since. Perhaps that is still in the works as AA moves to 100% dynamically priced awards on their own metal.

James
Old Mar 12, 2023, 3:44 am

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
I have booked more than one. Best AS J award on all AA metal was LIR-MIA-LAX(77W)/8 days/LAX-JFK(A321T) for 27.5K AS miles. The LIR-MIA was in Main on an A319 with 8 First Class seats. I was in MCE but didn't really care since it was such a short flight; equivalent to SEA-PHX.

AS & AA were supposed to be offering reciprocal dynamically priced awards. I saw a few instances of AA awards on AS metal late last year but nothing since. Perhaps that is still in the works as AA moves to 100% dynamically priced awards on their own metal.

James
LIR is a pretty remote airport with an essential domestic F product. I have never been able to find a real AA J (let lone F) product such as across the pond out of/into LHR as an example. In all my years of searching I've never seen AA J products using AS miles to Europe.
Old Mar 13, 2023, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
In all my years of searching I've never seen AA J products using AS miles to Europe.
Flown DUS-ORD and SEA-LHR-SEA in AA J on awards, as well as HKG-LAX in AA F.

(Two of those routes were cancelled and the third regularly has a ton of unsold coach inventory, so do the math.)
Old Mar 14, 2023, 2:10 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
LIR is a pretty remote airport with an essential domestic F product. I have never been able to find a real AA J (let lone F) product such as across the pond out of/into LHR as an example. In all my years of searching I've never seen AA J products using AS miles to Europe.
I have booked AA J to/from EU multiple times. The last was originally BCN-JFK-MIA//MIA-LAX(77W). AA discontinued the BCN-JFK flight at the time and put us on the BCN-MIA direct despite being an award.

AA J awards are definitely elusive, especially to EU, even for AAdvantage Elites, but there is, ocassionally, some unicorns.

AA LAX-SYD in J for 80K AS miles is available in April.

James
Old Mar 16, 2023, 11:07 am

Programs: American Airlines, Alaska Airlines, Hawaiian Airlines, Southwest
I wonder if it might be possible to access American J flights using Alaska Miles via a call in to the Alaska CSR's for international flights. Because the AA miles awards are all over the place for a given route and the Alaska online miles award requests are not, that may be why folks can't see those options on line.
Old Mar 17, 2023, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by BarryAZ
I wonder if it might be possible to access American J flights using Alaska Miles via a call in to the Alaska CSR's for international flights. Because the AA miles awards are all over the place for a given route and the Alaska online miles award requests are not, that may be why folks can't see those options on line.
Not really. AS agents are in essence using the website to book you now that LA and CX are hooked up. All you will get is Carol Beers…

Old Mar 18, 2023, 10:13 pm

Programs: American Airlines, Alaska Airlines, Hawaiian Airlines, Southwest
OK -- I was wondering about that. I suspect I for next year, I'll end up using American Airline miles outbound on their metal to avoid the large BA extra fee in that direction.

I note that if returning from say Dublin routing thru London, the BA premium is much more reasonable.
Old Mar 19, 2023, 3:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BarryAZ
OK -- I was wondering about that. I suspect I for next year, I'll end up using American Airline miles outbound on their metal to avoid the large BA extra fee in that direction.

I note that if returning from say Dublin routing thru London, the BA premium is much more reasonable.
If you are flying business, the difference you are seeing is possibly the APD, which is the government ripping you off rather than BA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.