Wiki Posts
Search

Price drop when you have a GGU applied?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2023, 5:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, Marriot LTG
Price drop when you have a GGU applied?

What has been peoples experience when a flight you've confirmed a GGU on drops in price? I tried to refare a leg to a lower price that is still GGU eligible and I got the following response:
If I reprice your reservation, you will forfeit the GGU for the return flight and it is not available to put you back in it. Would you still like me to reprice it for you?
Seems punitive to lock you in if you have been upgraded.
mildfrequence likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2023, 6:04 pm

Sucks but it is fair IMHO. Lots of things go into when GGU space exists and price is likely a factor. You can try and call and see what AS will do.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2023, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by RedPanda5
What has been peoples experience when a flight you've confirmed a GGU on drops in price? I tried to refare a leg to a lower price that is still GGU eligible and I got the following response:

Seems punitive to lock you in if you have been upgraded.
Let me guess, the GGU isn't yours or you lost MVPG status, or the GGU was from 2022? You can get them back for yourself if you're Gold+ and they haven't expired yet, but yeah, they're one-way if you're applying them for someone else (including yourself if you are no longer Gold), or the GGU would be expired.
Old Feb 28, 2023, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Let me guess, the GGU isn't yours or you lost MVPG status, or the GGU was from 2022? You can get them back for yourself if you're Gold+ and they haven't expired yet, but yeah, they're one-way if you're applying them for someone else (including yourself if you are no longer Gold), or the GGU would be expired.
How do you get a previously applied GGU back? I know that when AS cancels or does major change they have helped, but can you just do it yourself online?
Old Feb 28, 2023, 12:33 pm
Original Poster

in this case they are mine and expire 12/31/2023 and yes I did drop to MVP. Yes I have gotten them back in the past when I was MVPG, however ideally what I'd like to do is:
  • Reprice while keeping the upgrade applied
  • Even if I was still MVPG and I could get the GGU back after canceling I'd still be at the mercy of U space being available. I've experienced in the past that canceling a flight with GGU applied didn't magically put U space back, you're at the whims of the revenue management algo
Originally Posted by olouie
How do you get a previously applied GGU back? I know that when AS cancels or does major change they have helped, but can you just do it yourself online?
SMS works best in my experience
pcoll, olouie and eponymous_coward like this.
Old Feb 28, 2023, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by RedPanda5
in this case they are mine and expire 12/31/2023 and yes I did drop to MVP. Yes I have gotten them back in the past when I was MVPG, however ideally what I'd like to do is:
  • Reprice while keeping the upgrade applied
  • Even if I was still MVPG and I could get the GGU back after canceling I'd still be at the mercy of U space being available. I've experienced in the past that canceling a flight with GGU applied didn't magically put U space back, you're at the whims of the revenue management algo
Yup, Alaska wants to make money and thus they make you choose between "keep the thing you bought at the price you agreed to when you bought it" and "take the new cheaper ticket and get money back, maybe lose the GGU", but it's not exactly surprising. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It would be the same deal if you upgraded on an instant upgrade fare and then repriced on a big price drop to a non-U fare where you were waitlisting... you'd be taking your chances on the upgrade list.
anteater, olouie and be_rettSEA like this.
Old Feb 28, 2023, 3:56 pm
Original Poster

Yup, Alaska wants to make money and thus they make you choose between "keep the thing you bought at the price you agreed to when you bought it" and "take the new cheaper ticket and get money back, maybe lose the GGU", but it's not exactly surprising. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It would be the same deal if you upgraded on an instant upgrade fare and then repriced on a big price drop to a non-U fare where you were waitlisting... you'd be taking your chances on the upgrade list.
i want my cake and i want to eat it too! is it going to happen probably not, but you can always dream
Old Feb 28, 2023, 5:13 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
If I have a flight that I actually used a GGU on and the price goes down, I just ignore it. I would rather use the GGU than mess around and have unused certificates at the end of the year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.