Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Non-Elites Can Now Pay for Exit Row Seats

Non-Elites Can Now Pay for Exit Row Seats

Old Feb 22, 2023, 12:16 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2022
Location: Seattle, WA
Programs: Alaska Airlines
Posts: 142
Non-Elites Can Now Pay for Exit Row Seats

I just noticed this when I was making a booking. They were a different shade of blue. Looks like they are less than premium class.

I logged out and posed as a non-elite to verify this. Since they appeared free to elites.
Bballfan28 is offline  
Old Feb 22, 2023, 12:24 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: SEA
Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Posts: 2,044
Ugh, another small devaluation.
jsguyrus is offline  
Old Feb 22, 2023, 12:30 pm
  #3  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: FAI
Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Posts: 42,989
Chip. Disappointing. Unless this was during checkin?
Bellerina and resqman like this.
beckoa is offline  
Old Feb 22, 2023, 1:16 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Location: SFO
Programs: AS MVP Gold 100k, UA Silver, AC P25k, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum
Posts: 917
Meh. All others charged for exit row already. Not a big deal.
isaacchambers is online now  
Old Feb 22, 2023, 1:23 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: SoCal,
Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro
Posts: 778
Originally Posted by beckoa
Chip. Disappointing. Unless this was during checkin?
They sell them during the booking process. The story that they posted on the E web site specifically addressed elites liking those rows, but they added most elites are upgraded to better seats by flight time. Im assuming they believe PC is a better seat? I dont care for PC/MCE etc. I like exit aisle. The story closed with them saying that the sale of those seats will be monitored to make sure elites are taken care of. I have no idea how they accomplish that if the exit is being sold during ticket purchase.
Tack is offline  
Old Feb 22, 2023, 1:48 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: SEA
Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Posts: 2,044
Originally Posted by Tack
They sell them during the booking process. The story that they posted on the E web site specifically addressed elites liking those rows, but they added most elites are upgraded to better seats by flight time. Im assuming they believe PC is a better seat? I dont care for PC/MCE etc. I like exit aisle. The story closed with them saying that the sale of those seats will be monitored to make sure elites are taken care of. I have no idea how they accomplish that if the exit is being sold during ticket purchase.
Ah I get it, its an "enhancement"!
jsguyrus is offline  
Old Feb 22, 2023, 2:13 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: SoCal,
Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro
Posts: 778
Originally Posted by jsguyrus
Ah I get it, its an "enhancement"!
No word in the English language strikes more fear in the hearts of frequent flyers than enhancement, when uttered by an airline.
Tack is offline  
Old Feb 22, 2023, 2:37 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: On a plane or a beach
Programs: Yes
Posts: 3,220
Originally Posted by Tack
No word in the English language strikes more fear in the hearts of frequent flyers than “enhancement”, when uttered by an airline.
First they came for the 75K GGU benefit and I did not speak out* as I was not a 75K; and then, the website layout, the airport lobby experience, wait-listing GGUs without fixing the existing upgrade system, the exit row seating. Eventually, they will come for anteater. 🤙🏻🍹

*anteater spoke out.
anteater is offline  
Old Feb 22, 2023, 2:47 pm
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Over the Bay Bridge, CA
Programs: Jumbo mas
Posts: 38,850
Originally Posted by Tack
The story closed with them saying that the sale of those seats will be monitored to make sure elites are taken care of.
I seem to recall a famous family from Palermo of silver screen lore that also used to make sure elites were "taken care of." Can't say that it is reassuring language.
Eastbay1K is offline  
Old Feb 22, 2023, 4:03 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: SEA
Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Posts: 2,044
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
I seem to recall a famous family from Palermo of silver screen lore that also used to make sure elites were "taken care of." Can't say that it is reassuring language.
Alaska is going to make you, an offer you cant refuse!
ACBLtd, anteater and Seattle123 like this.

Last edited by jsguyrus; Feb 22, 2023 at 4:19 pm
jsguyrus is offline  
Old Feb 22, 2023, 4:40 pm
  #11  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Over the Bay Bridge, CA
Programs: Jumbo mas
Posts: 38,850
Originally Posted by jsguyrus
Alaska is going to make you, an offer you cant refuse!
At least you'll get a nice fresh cabeza de caballo at the "taken care of" seat while the poor shlub in the exit row will have to pay for a cheese platter.
Eastbay1K is offline  
Old Feb 22, 2023, 5:16 pm
  #12  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2022
Location: Seattle, WA
Programs: Alaska Airlines
Posts: 142
Originally Posted by beckoa
Chip. Disappointing. Unless this was during checkin?
it was not during checkin it was at booking
sdsearch likes this.
Bballfan28 is offline  
Old Feb 22, 2023, 5:19 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: SEA, NW/DL 1.6Million Miler
Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
Posts: 4,308
Just like many other carriers, AS should market Exit-Row as Premium Seats and priced accordingly. (I don't like different prices however) I do support AS monetizing Exit-row as previously, even saver- seats sometimes had free access to Exit Row within 24 hours. ...and if non-elites don't like that policy,you can always approach gate agent to override this.

Jiburi
dayone, StrandedinLA and AinthePNW like this.
jiburi is offline  
Old Feb 22, 2023, 9:02 pm
  #14  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Pacific Northwest
Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Posts: 17,149
Tried two flights in March and April (SEA-JFK, to see how much they want for a transcon), and neither offered my non-logged-in self an exit row seat. Is it only certain flights? Or starting some later date?
StrandedinLA likes this.
notquiteaff is offline  
Old Feb 23, 2023, 9:17 am
  #15  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2022
Location: Seattle, WA
Programs: Alaska Airlines
Posts: 142
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Tried two flights in March and April (SEA-JFK, to see how much they want for a transcon), and neither offered my non-logged-in self an exit row seat. Is it only certain flights? Or starting some later date?
the flight I was testing on was SEA>ORD in late Aprilso maybe it is not live yet for all flights/dates
sdsearch likes this.
Bballfan28 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.