Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Non-Elites Can Now Pay for Exit Row Seats

Old Feb 22, 2023, 12:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Airlines

I just noticed this when I was making a booking. They were a different shade of blue. Looks like they are less than premium class.

I logged out and posed as a non-elite to verify this. Since they appeared free to elites.
Old Feb 22, 2023, 12:24 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Ugh, another small devaluation.
Old Feb 22, 2023, 12:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Chip. Disappointing. Unless this was during checkin?
Bellerina and resqman like this.
Old Feb 22, 2023, 1:16 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100k, UA Silver, AC P25k, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum
Meh. All others charged for exit row already. Not a big deal.
Old Feb 22, 2023, 1:23 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro
Originally Posted by beckoa
They sell them during the booking process. The story that they posted on the E web site specifically addressed elites liking those rows, but they added most elites are upgraded to better seats by flight time. Im assuming they believe PC is a better seat? I dont care for PC/MCE etc. I like exit aisle. The story closed with them saying that the sale of those seats will be monitored to make sure elites are taken care of. I have no idea how they accomplish that if the exit is being sold during ticket purchase.
Old Feb 22, 2023, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by Tack
They sell them during the booking process. The story that they posted on the E web site specifically addressed elites liking those rows, but they added most elites are upgraded to better seats by flight time. Im assuming they believe PC is a better seat? I dont care for PC/MCE etc. I like exit aisle. The story closed with them saying that the sale of those seats will be monitored to make sure elites are taken care of. I have no idea how they accomplish that if the exit is being sold during ticket purchase.
Ah I get it, its an "enhancement"!
Old Feb 22, 2023, 2:13 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro
Originally Posted by jsguyrus
Ah I get it, its an "enhancement"!
No word in the English language strikes more fear in the hearts of frequent flyers than enhancement, when uttered by an airline.
Old Feb 22, 2023, 2:37 pm

Programs: Yes
No word in the English language strikes more fear in the hearts of frequent flyers than “enhancement”, when uttered by an airline.
First they came for the 75K GGU benefit and I did not speak out* as I was not a 75K; and then, the website layout, the airport lobby experience, wait-listing GGUs without fixing the existing upgrade system, the exit row seating. Eventually, they will come for anteater. 🤙🏻🍹

*anteater spoke out.
Old Feb 22, 2023, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
The story closed with them saying that the sale of those seats will be monitored to make sure elites are taken care of.
I seem to recall a famous family from Palermo of silver screen lore that also used to make sure elites were "taken care of." Can't say that it is reassuring language.
Old Feb 22, 2023, 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
I seem to recall a famous family from Palermo of silver screen lore that also used to make sure elites were "taken care of." Can't say that it is reassuring language.
Alaska is going to make you, an offer you cant refuse!
ACBLtd, anteater and Seattle123 like this.

Last edited by jsguyrus; Feb 22, 2023 at 4:19 pm
Old Feb 22, 2023, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by jsguyrus
Alaska is going to make you, an offer you cant refuse!
At least you'll get a nice fresh cabeza de caballo at the "taken care of" seat while the poor shlub in the exit row will have to pay for a cheese platter.
Old Feb 22, 2023, 5:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by beckoa
it was not during checkin it was at booking
sdsearch likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2023, 5:19 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
Just like many other carriers, AS should market Exit-Row as Premium Seats and priced accordingly. (I don't like different prices however) I do support AS monetizing Exit-row as previously, even saver- seats sometimes had free access to Exit Row within 24 hours. ...and if non-elites don't like that policy,you can always approach gate agent to override this.

Jiburi
dayone, StrandedinLA and AinthePNW like this.
Old Feb 22, 2023, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Tried two flights in March and April (SEA-JFK, to see how much they want for a transcon), and neither offered my non-logged-in self an exit row seat. Is it only certain flights? Or starting some later date?
StrandedinLA likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2023, 9:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Tried two flights in March and April (SEA-JFK, to see how much they want for a transcon), and neither offered my non-logged-in self an exit row seat. Is it only certain flights? Or starting some later date?
the flight I was testing on was SEA>ORD in late Aprilso maybe it is not live yet for all flights/dates
sdsearch likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.