Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

No Baggage Drop Until 4 Hours Before Departure?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No Baggage Drop Until 4 Hours Before Departure?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2023, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
The bag drop limit times are frequently a function of the airport itself, not the airline. They just don't have the room to store that many bags. FLL is another airport similar to SEA where no airline will take bags more than 4 hours in advance. It's an airport rule, not an airline rule.
Old Feb 7, 2023, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by wrp96
The bag drop limit times are frequently a function of the airport itself, not the airline. They just don't have the room to store that many bags. FLL is another airport similar to SEA where no airline will take bags more than 4 hours in advance. It's an airport rule, not an airline rule.
Given that AA has a 4 hr rule at some airports, but not all, and AS has a 4 hr rule at all airports, it doesn’t seem like it’s just an airport rule. But different airlines may choose to set a consistent rule across all airports to keep things simple and others may offer more flexibility.
Old Feb 7, 2023, 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by Sleepy_Sentry
I explained that other airlines will always take baggage if the desk is staffed.”
Tell me you are entitled without telling me you're entitled.
Originally Posted by Sleepy_Sentry

Why won’t Alaska take my bag, especially if the agents are standing around doing nothing?
It has nothing to do with how busy the ticket counter is, but with where to put your bag once it is sent down the belt.
Old Feb 8, 2023, 3:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Many moons ago I learned about the 4 hour rule.

It is nice when other airlnes like CX offer in-town check in and bsg drop. Iirc i did this in Seoul too one.

I do not expect AS to change this either; they do not even work with the remote drop off in TPA.
Old Feb 9, 2023, 8:43 am

Programs: Delta SM, 1MM; Alaska Gold 100K
I witnessed a similar incident at JFK T7 in December of 2022. An older couple (man with cane so perhaps didn't want to cart luggage around) wanted to check bags around 11 AM. They were booked on the 4:40 PM SFO flight and were in paid First (I know details because the man engaged me in conversation complaining about the agent's refusal to check their bags even though they were in paid First). I later saw them in the lounge and although the man was still upset, he was still upset and said the agent finally relented.
About an hour had passed since our initial encounter, so I don't think they had to wait the full four hours but perhaps were granted some leeway.
Old Feb 9, 2023, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by mrnewton
I witnessed a similar incident at JFK T7 in December of 2022. An older couple (man with cane so perhaps didn't want to cart luggage around) wanted to check bags around 11 AM. They were booked on the 4:40 PM SFO flight and were in paid First (I know details because the man engaged me in conversation complaining about the agent's refusal to check their bags even though they were in paid First). I later saw them in the lounge and although the man was still upset, he was still upset and said the agent finally relented.
About an hour had passed since our initial encounter, so I don't think they had to wait the full four hours but perhaps were granted some leeway.
I wonder if his bag showed up at bag claim as scheduled.
Old Feb 20, 2023, 7:35 am

Just by way of another data point, I flew AS 710 SEA-DEN last Monday. It was a 16:36 flight, but I was travelling to the airport with a friend who had an 11:40 flight and therefore arrived substantially before the 4-hour limit. I was able to check-in my luggage around 09:30, leaving me unencumbered to take the bus to the Museum of Flight. I simply went to the FC counter, asking to check in for AS 710, and my luggage was accepted and a boarding pass printed. Explanations for why I was so early were neither requested nor proffered. And my suitcase showed up at the bag-claim in Denver as expected.
Old Feb 21, 2023, 5:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by RatherGhastly
Just by way of another data point, I flew AS 710 SEA-DEN last Monday. It was a 16:36 flight, but I was travelling to the airport with a friend who had an 11:40 flight and therefore arrived substantially before the 4-hour limit. I was able to check-in my luggage around 09:30, leaving me unencumbered to take the bus to the Museum of Flight. I simply went to the FC counter, asking to check in for AS 710, and my luggage was accepted and a boarding pass printed. Explanations for why I was so early were neither requested nor proffered. And my suitcase showed up at the bag-claim in Denver as expected.
Did you buy your lottery ticket?

Congrats
Seattle123 and RatherGhastly like this.
Old Mar 4, 2023, 8:35 am

Programs: TK *G, HHonors Gold, UA 0.547MM and ex-1K but we gave up on each other
Originally Posted by remyjette
Try both the kiosks and the desk.

The JetBlue kiosks at FLL wouldn't issue bag tags when we arrived 10 hours before flight time after a cruise. An agent at the Mosaic/Mint counter was sympathetic and offered 8 hours advance as a courtesy, instead of 6 - so they do have discretion. But when we returned he had left, and both the new agent and the manager were only concerned with their procedures and unsympathetic to hostile to any pax who wanted otherwise.

On a hunch, I tried the kiosk again at 7:40 before flight time, and it spit out bag tags. I was tempted to take them to the Mosaic/Mint counter but prudence prevailed and the regular bag drop took the bags.

To be fair - the manager had explained that outside 6 hours there was no baggage cart for the flight, so the bags would go around and around the belt and someone might take them off and forget to put them back on. That doesn't excuse the hostility though. And our bags were on our flight.
Old Mar 5, 2023, 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by bilofsky
Try both the kiosks and the desk.

The JetBlue kiosks at FLL wouldn't issue bag tags when we arrived 10 hours before flight time after a cruise. An agent at the Mosaic/Mint counter was sympathetic and offered 8 hours advance as a courtesy, instead of 6 - so they do have discretion. But when we returned he had left, and both the new agent and the manager were only concerned with their procedures and unsympathetic to hostile to any pax who wanted otherwise.

On a hunch, I tried the kiosk again at 7:40 before flight time, and it spit out bag tags. I was tempted to take them to the Mosaic/Mint counter but prudence prevailed and the regular bag drop took the bags.

To be fair - the manager had explained that outside 6 hours there was no baggage cart for the flight, so the bags would go around and around the belt and someone might take them off and forget to put them back on. That doesn't excuse the hostility though. And our bags were on our flight.
That presents an interesting question... if one has an EBT, will AS' system allow these to be accepted in excess of 4 hours?

Another technique to use is take your excess baggage through TSA and gate check it closer to the flight departure (needs to fit thru screener and not have any TSA prohibited items). I did this for SFO last month; not due to the timing, but went to SFO AMEX CL first (entering security over there). It did mean I could not get everything I wanted due to liquid restrictions, but was ok with that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.